Thread: Hammerli AP-40

Hammerli AP-40

I am new to shooting and am going to a local club for a few weeks shooting 10m air pistol using a club gun and very much enjoying it.
    I just bought a Hammerli AP-40 from a local dealer, I guess it's discontinued / old stock as I can't find much information about it, can anyone help? I love the gun and am very encouraged with the results and would like to know if anyone else uses one, why it seems to be unavailable now and any general tips about this gun.

Hi. I had 1.
    There were 2 versions of the AP40. First one's had an aluminium barrel. Later one's normal steel.
    This also influences the pistol's balance. They were made from 2001 onwards I believe. Dunno when they discontinued them.
    I found it a very nice pistol to shoot. Nice grip, decent sights..I actually preferred it over the Walther LP300XT 3D.
    The cilinders had a downside; you filled 'em up to 200 bars, but at unscrewing from the bottle you always loose about 10 bars or so. Overfilling slightly is not an option, it'll blow its seals immediately.
    Hammerli as such doesnt exist anymore though. Its now a part of umarex iirc, as is walther I believe.
    Spares and service from Hammerli is AWFULL though, especially for older guns no longer produced.
    ATB,
    yana

I have two of these and I think they are brilliant pistols. Great grips, sights and trigger. They are so adjustable. Don't screw or unscrew the cylinders in the fill adaptor under pressure as its aluminium thread on aluminium thread and they will gall very easily. When I fill my mine I screw the adaptor into the air tank then I screw the cylinder into the adaptor but stop just before the cylinder vents. Then fill to 200 bar and then vent the adaptor ( only use a surface use valve)
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Yes, the cilinder seals are very fragile. They damage easily with (un)screwing. Make sure you have some spares.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Hi. I had 1.
    There were 2 versions of the AP40. First one's had an aluminium barrel. Later one's normal steel.
    This also influences the pistol's balance. They were made from 2001 onwards I believe. Dunno when they discontinued them.
    I found it a very nice pistol to shoot. Nice grip, decent sights..I actually preferred it over the Walther LP300XT 3D.
    The cilinders had a downside; you filled 'em up to 200 bars, but at unscrewing from the bottle you always loose about 10 bars or so. Overfilling slightly is not an option, it'll blow its seals immediately.
    Hammerli as such doesnt exist anymore though. Its now a part of umarex iirc, as is walther I believe.
    Spares and service from Hammerli is AWFULL though, especially for older guns no longer produced.
    Thanks for the help, it came with two tanks both dates 2007 so I guess it has been in the stock room at the gun shop since then! I am trilled with it, I just hope I won't be needing too many spares but what should I buy to have in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I have two of these and I think they are brilliant pistols. Great grips, sights and trigger. They are so adjustable. Don't screw or unscrew the cylinders in the fill adaptor under pressure as its aluminium thread on aluminium thread and they will gall very easily. When I fill my mine I screw the adaptor into the air tank then I screw the cylinder into the adaptor but stop just before the cylinder vents. Then fill to 200 bar and then vent the adaptor ( only use a surface use valve)
    Thanks for filling the tip, I will be careful!