Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titan MPT .177 PCP Air rifle.... Is it collectable?

Titan MPT .177 PCP Air rifle.... Is it collectable?

Hi there, I see the odd mention of these air rifles on the internet and aware of some of the history, namely Titan is now Falcon, but are these as some people suggest collectable?

I have the pleasure of owning one of the above air rifles, but have no idea how popular Titan were and what their reputation was ie. were they good or bad? Personally, and I am biased, I think they are wonderful! My rifle always gets lots of attention when I do make it to the Field Target Club.

Any ideas?

Without question, but a they were made in limited numbers as the MPT version, so not a lot of people know what they are.

The standard Titans dont demand more than 150-250 usually, but you should be looking a bit more for the MPT.

They do not demand high figures for how good they are, but they are certainly collectable, and very much a gun to be used for serious hunting and informal targets still.
    BASC

I've got one... and very nice it is too, got John Bowkett to regulate it for me. Very accurate.

I think I paid over £400 for it at the time, which was the going rate... and then to have JB 'breathe' on it was another £150 odd.

I'm sure there was a thread somewhere on these in the last few months and I added pictures to that of the MPT and my .22 Bearcat but I can't find it.

Won't be selling either of them in the near, or far, future

Cheers

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

Smile titan

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post
    I've got one... and very nice it is too, got John Bowkett to regulate it for me. Very accurate.

I think I paid over £400 for it at the time, which was the going rate... and then to have JB 'breathe' on it was another £150 odd.

I'm sure there was a thread somewhere on these in the last few months and I added pictures to that of the MPT and my .22 Bearcat but I can't find it.

Won't be selling either of them in the near,

Cheers

Fizz
    I can only speak for the Titan Bearcat, Ive got 2, one in .22 that I have owned from new, and a second one in .177.They are both walnut stocked and very accurate. I would definitely put Titans in the collectable bracket. I havnt really found anything that works better, so I guess I won't be selling anytime soon .Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    I can only speak for the Titan Bearcat, Ive got 2, one in .22 that I have owned from new, and a second one in .177.They are both walnut stocked and very accurate. I would definitely put Titans in the collectable bracket. I havnt really found anything that works better, so I guess I won't be selling anytime soon .Cheers
    I went from a Sharp Innova pump up air rifle to this Titan and was amazed at the difference and accuracy. I have never been more successful shooting than I have with the Titan... So much much for my skill, its all the rifle not me!

Collectable Titans

I am with good fella "titan Bearcat " above, I also have a walnut stocked .22 Bearcat, it great and also will not be for sale, until someone prys it from my dead and frozen hands!!!!!!!!!!
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.

The Bearcats are very nice especially in walnut but not quite the same as the MPT set back thumbhole carbine. The trigger was reversed in order to move the action further back in the stock, just to shorten it even more than the carbine titans.

Lovely guns to use for shooting out of a vehicle or hide.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    The Bearcats are very nice especially in walnut but not quite the same as the MPT set back thumbhole carbine. The trigger was reversed in order to move the action further back in the stock, just to shorten it even more than the carbine titans.

Lovely guns to use for shooting out of a vehicle or hide.
    That is why I keep the MPT so long to start with, as it was easy to have in and shot from tractor cabs therefore it was always with me.

I think Titans of any sort are underated. John Bowkett certainly got it right in the technology aspect, just a simple , non regulated hammer and valve system. I saw the first one in my local gunshop and was amazed at the finish and the fact that it was recoiless. I ordered the left hand Bearcat, with walnut stock and a Parker hale rimfire silencer. The bolt is on the right , and I find it easier to use. My Stalker Tiger ten is awquard in comparison to use. With the Bearcat you know where you are. , and I love it

titan

got a titan manitou in 177cal with sloping breach shoots very accurit.trouble is its a lefty i need a right handed stock.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post

Won't be selling either of them in the near, or far, future

Cheers

Fizz
    Anyone with any experience regarding having their rifle regulated. Was it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by PJNicol View Post
    Anyone with any experience regarding having their rifle regulated. Was it worth it?
    I have two MPTs. My first one, (coincidentally built 3 days after my son was born in Nov 1993), is the MPT mk 2, where the bolt cocks the hammer as well. I got it FACed a number of years ago by John Bowkett and it's brilliant for my 35 acre squirrel wood. A fully dedicated squirrel gun running around 18ft lb. Close to a 177 (12ft lb)trajectory with a 22 pellet.

I also bought another MPT for my lad when he was a youngster and got it fettled by John again and regulated as my lad wanted to try HFT. However, as the regulator takes up a significant proportion of the small air cylinder, the shot count isn't huge. IIRC, John said fill it to 240 bar and it's then good for over 40 shots. But it hasn't been used for 4 or 5 years.

Would I get it done again? - don't know. The 'self regulating' valve already works so well, the improvement isn't huge!

Hope this helps.....

The problem for the airgun industry is that Titan users never buy another airgun. They are that good and reliable and with JB able to service them, what else is there to want...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I have two MPTs. My first one, (coincidentally built 3 days after my son was born in Nov 1993), is the MPT mk 2, where the bolt cocks the hammer as well. I got it FACed a number of years ago by John Bowkett and it's brilliant for my 35 acre squirrel wood. A fully dedicated squirrel gun running around 18ft lb. Close to a 177 (12ft lb)trajectory with a 22 pellet.

I also bought another MPT for my lad when he was a youngster and got it fettled by John again and regulated as my lad wanted to try HFT. However, as the regulator takes up a significant proportion of the small air cylinder, the shot count isn't huge. IIRC, John said fill it to 240 bar and it's then good for over 40 shots. But it hasn't been used for 4 or 5 years.

Would I get it done again? - don't know. The 'self regulating' valve already works so well, the improvement isn't huge!

Hope this helps.....

The problem for the airgun industry is that Titan users never buy another airgun. They are that good and reliable and with JB able to service them, what else is there to want...
    Here here, The last line says it all !

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post

Hope this helps.....

Yes very definitely ... the fact that you question whether you would do it again says.

What dates were the Mk1 MPT's produced from and when did the Mk2 take over. Any ideas?

Total agree with last sentence ....

Pics....

I only bought the Bearcat a couple of years ago from my mate who'd had it from new. he was 'just' handing it over the counter in p/ex against a new PCP when I couldn't resist it any longer and tugged on his sleeve..."I'll have that" The look on the face of the bloke the other side of the counter was a complete picture He should be happy with the Paratrooper that had just been handed over....... I thought one was enough.

The Bearcat needed new seals so it was a quick trip down to Dave Welham at Airmasters in Hemel to take care of that. Lovely.

The MPT is still on it's original seals and I've always got around 38/40 shots to a fill as mentioned above. I use Bisley Premiers in it..when hunting squirrels all I needed to see was the eye when they were lying doggo on top of a branch. Lethal.

Both are cocked by the hammer rather than the bolt so I guess that makes them Mk1's...never knew they evolved to bolt-cockers.

Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 09-12-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!