Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Titan MPT .177 PCP Air rifle.... Is it collectable?

Thumbs up Titan

Hear, Hear!

I have just had a new Battery put in my Daystate MK4 after 8 years of excellent service on the original and thought I would give it a zero on the bench rest.

I decided to zero my titan at the same time just for kicks, and was happily surprised to see it get better groups.

I put it up for sale recently on here...Glad it did not go

Lovely pair there FBW. The blueing looks in fine fettle on those to boot.

My Manitou:

Photo of MK2 please

[QUOTE=BigDuncs;6545863]I have two MPTs. My first one, (coincidentally built 3 days after my son was born in Nov 1993), is the MPT mk 2, where the bolt cocks the hammer as well. I got it FACed a number of years ago by John Bowkett and it's brilliant for my 35 acre squirrel wood. A fully dedicated squirrel gun running around 18ft lb. Close to a 177 (12ft lb)trajectory with a 22 pellet.

any chance of a couple of photos of the MK2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by PJNicol View Post
    Yes very definitely ... the fact that you question whether you would do it again says.

What dates were the Mk1 MPT's produced from and when did the Mk2 take over. Any ideas?

Total agree with last sentence ....
    I only know that in Nov 1993, they were producing the Mk 2 as at some time I rang to check the manufacturing date of mine. The mk2 was launched after John Bowkett had left Titan as he was interested to see it when I first met him in the mid '90s as he hadn't seem one before. The mk 2 is no huge advance as I usually cock the hammer separately from bolt action in any case, particularly as it's slighly more difficult now to cock being at FAC power levels and with a stronger hammer spring.

Serial number of my mk 2 is 80201.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Try and get a few pics taken sometime tonight.

The MPT was introduced in 1993 and by the end of 1994 Falcon had taken over the entire line.
    I have never seen a Titan with a bolt cocking system and would also be interested in seeing some photos.

I believe Falcon used up the remaining inventory of Titan parts changing the breech and later introducing the Hawk and Raptor
    systems along with a new line of woodwork.
    They dropped the set back action, found on only the MPT and replaced it with a thumbhole stock version that was not set back in the stock.

Tom in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by TStray View Post
    The MPT was introduced in 1993 and by the end of 1994 Falcon had taken over the entire line.
    I have never seen a Titan with a bolt cocking system and would also be interested in seeing some photos.

I believe Falcon used up the remaining inventory of Titan parts changing the breech and later introducing the Hawk and Raptor
    systems along with a new line of woodwork.
    They dropped the set back action, found on only the MPT and replaced it with a thumbhole stock version that was not set back in the stock.

Tom in the USA
    Surprised it wasn't earlier than 1993 as the Mk 2 was being made in Nov of that year. Possible certainly, but I've surprised that the Mk2 would have been developed so soon after the MPT was initially launched
    As you yourself said Tom back in 2008,
    Titan Manitou range and the initials refer to M for Manitou, P as in Pistol, with the grip/set back action and trigger, and the T is for Thumbhole stock.
    ...for those who are interested.

The Titan company went bust apparently. There was some talk at the time about the senior people in the company driving flash cars and living above their means, but those who went to/started Falcon, apparently did not pay any royalties to John Bowkett for his design. Something that he acutely remembers , and is only mentioned if you ask him to service a Falcon (which I haven't)

Dunks
    My knowledge of the introduction of the MPT comes from a 1993 Titan catalog that states "Introducing the all new MPT".
    It is anyones guess as to what month in 93 the catalog came out and seeing some of JB's creations the mk2 could have easily followed on the heels of the original MPT.

Cheers

Tom

Dunks
    My knowledge of the introduction of the MPT comes from a 1993 Titan catalog that states "Introducing the all new MPT".
    It is anyones guess as to what month in 93 the catalog came out and seeing some of JB's creations the mk2 could have easily followed on the heels of the original MPT.

Cheers

Tom
    Understand. Maybe I've taken your comment the wrong way re JB's creations, but he didn't have anything to do with the mk 2 because he was intrigued to see it as he didn't seem to know it existed. He said something like he was surprised to see it have been developed from his original. Having said that, the change wasn't exactly rocket science.....

Off now to get the gun and a camera...

[QUOTE=JustinThyme;6546813]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I have two MPTs. My first one, (coincidentally built 3 days after my son was born in Nov 1993), is the MPT mk 2, where the bolt cocks the hammer as well. I got it FACed a number of years ago by John Bowkett and it's brilliant for my 35 acre squirrel wood. A fully dedicated squirrel gun running around 18ft lb. Close to a 177 (12ft lb)trajectory with a 22 pellet.

Here you go, showing my pair of Titan MPTs, the Mk1 on the top and Mk2 on the bottom

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps0edb8efd.jpg

and close up of the action on my Mk2 showing the 'knob' behind the bolt that is to cock the action. This knob is at the end of the cocking 'bar'/'rod' ....

The bolt is pulled back, touches this and pulling the bolt further back, pulls this back as well, cocking the action. I tend to use it double action, ie cock the action first and then load the pellet using the bolt thereby defeating the whole purpose of the Mk2! This reduces the force needed to operate the bolt.

Accuracy of both is excellent. TBH, haven't used them much recently so I'm going to refrain from qualifying that

Hope this helps

Dunks
    I must say that is a first for me having never seen a mk2 MPT.
    Very interesting how the loading bolt also cocks the rifle and that it has the later square cut breech.

Learn something new everyday, thanks for the pics.

Tom in the USA

Dunks
    I must say that is a first for me having never seen a mk2 MPT.
    Very interesting how the loading bolt also cocks the rifle and that it has the later square cut breech.

Learn something new everyday, thanks for the pics.

Tom in the USA
    Cheers Tom - must say I've never seen nor heard of another one myself.......

Doubt mine's unique but possibly not that many were made. All MPTs are superb little guns, with amazing accuracy.

Just remembered. My Mk2 came with a '2nd shot clip'. It held a second pellet for a follow up shot.

I don't really need that and removed it from the gun quite a while ago. IIRC, it worked best with long pellets eg Magnums. It was only a little device with a clip that held the pellet in place so once the bolt was cycled, it was placed into the loading groove ready to be pushed into the barrel by the bolt.

Mpt

Fantastic pcp's I first saw one in a certain dusty old gunshop/collectable shop in Croydon, my brother and my mate and me were all running Sharp Innovas, the old boy in the shop showed us the MPT and it was like WOW!! I was on a Civil Service clerks wage and couldnt go to it,it must have been around 1992,

fast foward 5 years and I swapped a paintball gun for a Titan Bearcat,that was my first PCP and what a gun,I bought the MPT only a short while back its been serviced by Mr Bowkett and the stock re done by CS Stocks (who made the stocks for the MPT),I bought it for my son and for a bit of nostalgia,

I am .....still looking for another MPT for my other son and a left hooker for me, ive missed a couple of them in the last few years.

My brother also has a MPT!!love the gun and the 90's

Cheers Duncs

Thanks for the photos, I don't have an MPT in the collection anymore as had my arm twisted to part with the last one of a pair i had a while back, still have a Bearcat though which is one of JB's specials, lovely lightweight gun and as mentioned previously extremely accurate, will be on the lookout for a MK2 now though