Thread: model d

model d

just wondered - what did they improve on the improved model d and was there a model d before ?

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, It was in order "The BSA Air Rifle"...Basically a BSA marked Lincoln, They faffed around with the taps on some of these, next up was the Improved Model B, same sights as before, but tap had retaining plate and was set in a socket and had retaining plate, as opposed to the through tap on the earlier gun.

There was never an ''A'' or "C"...Next was the Improved Model D, which has beefier sights, (the aperture on the stock is an add-on on this example) and an improved spring loaded plunger set behind the loading tap to give a more positive tap closure (previous ones just shut to a stop).

These are the main visible differences, Airgunners then were just as keen on the latest "best thing" and BSA announced each small improvement with a big hoo-ha and advertising campaign which increased sales dramatically.

They started fitting a side latch cocking lever in the later stages of production of the "D's" and then did away with the steel butt plate...these late pre WW1 guns were the first "standard" air rifles, a title that all sizes of 1919-39 inherited (apart from the break action).

ATB, Ed

Geat reply Ed

Very detailed and informative reply that Ed, I am sure O/poster will be very grateful when he reads it....

Oh, that 'B' looks nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Very detailed and informative reply that Ed, I am sure O/poster will be very grateful when he reads it....

Already preserved for the future
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

mod d

yes i am very pleased and grateful for that reply from mr. edbear2 - thank you . i quite fancy one of the old bsa's but not sure which one yet .

Quote Originally Posted by wild boar View Post
    yes i am very pleased and grateful for that reply from mr. edbear2 - thank you . i quite fancy one of the old bsa's but not sure which one yet .
    As a journey of 1000 mles starts with a single step so, once upon a time, Danny, Ed, Binners and even Trevor only had one gun.

So welcome ( almost ) to the top of the slippery slope.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by wild boar View Post
    When you decide which one all that means is you have got your first and your second will follow, and don't forget Webley, these rifles are happier in groups of three or more, you may not believe this but I can assure you you will but by then it will be too late------

I have a 1906/7 BSA 5th batch…. A 1907 Lincoln Jefferies ‘H’ & a 1908 Improved Model D…. The most obvious at a glance difference are the side fences on the bayonet cocking lever…. Both the Lincoln ‘H’ & the 5th batch have the old cocking lever without cheeks or fences at the front, whilst the Improved model D has been strengthened with the fences…. I’m not quite sure if it was done to reinforce the bayonet or to stop the lever being pulled to one side when cocking, thus wearing the front catch on one side….