Thread: Hornet target bullets

Hornet target bullets

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a "non expanding" target bullet for the .22 Hornet. Several BBS users have contacted me. I have managed to find a supply of the S & B 45gn FMJ and I am advised by Reloading.org.uk (Bristol) that they will be getting some in this week. The S & B 45gn jobby is the only target bullet I can find, suitable for the Hornet. I am still looking into the use of a cast bullet and when I get a supply I will report on the results.

amc577

I would have thought the issues are there because th le hornet although a great cartridge is not a target round really

Plinking at targets, yes. Target shooting, as we understand it, Jim, no.

Now if the UK did metallic silhouette shooting, it might be useful..

tac

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a "non expanding" target bullet for the .22 Hornet. Several BBS users have contacted me. I have managed to find a supply of the S & B 45gn FMJ and I am advised by Reloading.org.uk (Bristol) that they will be getting some in this week. The S & B 45gn jobby is the only target bullet I can find, suitable for the Hornet. I am still looking into the use of a cast bullet and when I get a supply I will report on the results.

amc577
    I bought a load of BRNO581 spares a few years back, how many is his minimum purchase and how much is after? I tried 52gr SMKs last week but with a COAL of 1.85 and 11gr of lil gun I was getting pressure signs.

I have a target condition for the Hornet and it would be nice to use it at the club at the shorter ranges, the main reason being each time i take Danny will regret selling it!
    Thanks for looking

Ive just walked in after knocking up over a thousand of these little beauties. After adding lube they weigh out at 40 grains. NOE 225107 5 gang mould. Just what youre looking for I would think.

Edit: Ah well that was a waste of time, apparently I dont have permission to post attatchments, how archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    Ive just walked in after knocking up over a thousand of these little beauties. After adding lube they weigh out at 40 grains. NOE 225107 5 gang mould. Just what youre looking for I would think.

Edit: Ah well that was a waste of time, apparently I dont have permission to post attatchments, how archaic.

It's in the rules chap, the BBS does not allow attachments to anyone, you can however post a link to a photo hosting site.

It saves download bandwidth or some such.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    [/COLOR]

It's in the rules chap, the BBS does not allow attachments to anyone, you can however post a link to a photo hosting site.

It saves download bandwidth or some such.
    Ah!, The posting permissions box below appears to imply that it was a personal thing re not posting attatchments.

How very quaint for an internet forum in the 21st century.

(i always wondered how the hell anyone expected to sell anything without pictures in the sales section)

Edit: No wait, I CAN post pictures in the for sale section, its just that most people dont seem to bother.
    Last edited by fred2892; 11-12-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Hornady do a 55gr FMJ.

Mark
    Last edited by foxshooter; 12-12-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    My karma ran over your dogma

Hornet as target rifle

I shoot mainly at 100 yards and I have seen an inch group from a pals 1949 BRNO Hornet......I would call that a "target rifle"..!! I acquired my CZ Hornet more by accident than design.. but will develop some loads. It is like reloading in miniature!! Tried some 55gn cast bullets, shotgun pattern...the CZ has a 1/16 twist and I think 45gn is probably the limit. The 45gn S & B FMJ work out at £120 a thousand. I think you can order whatever quantity you like... I have some Lyman mould cast on order which, with GC should weigh 45gn. NOE in the states have a 37gn mould in .225 which I think must be the mould mentioned in previous thread...fred2892...I would be interested to know how they shoot...if you would like to sell me 100 please pm me...my pal has also found a way of extracting the heads from dud/damaged rimfire rounds without wrecking them and I will also try some of these. These are soft heeled bullets but may be ok for low velocity loads.

amc577

Whilst not target bullets Midway did some 34 dogtowns I think. If you search on here, you will find they are made by Nosler or the like.

Do you have expanding on your certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    Whilst not target bullets Midway did some 34 dogtowns I think. If you search on here, you will find they are made by Nosler or the like.

Do you have expanding on your certificate?
    The trouble with that is you can't order them by post
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    I know that I was merely enquiring as to whether he has expanding as a friend has a box of the dogtowns....

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    You can, they just need to go RFD-RFD.