Thread: Big Thank you

Big Thank you

A while back, I was after a BSA No 21A peep sight for an Imp Mod D that had the stock factory carved inset, but the sight had been removed. Now, as I am sure you are all aware, these are rarer than hen's teeth and anyone that has one is very unlikely to part with it.

I was contacted by 'deejayuu' (Jules) on here and he kindly offered 'to knock me one up', when he had a spare five minutes. All I had to do was provide him with the measurements, or one to copy, which with the help of some members from here, I managed to do. I would have no idea where to start with such a project, let alone have the skills to attempt it, but this turned up in the post yesterday.....

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7419d835.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ps39130efd.jpg

I am sure you will all know just how grateful I am to Jules for the above. What a talented man he is and I am led to believe that most of this work was carried out just using hand tools!!!!

Many, many thanks again kind Sir..

Amazing!
    Imagine if it had arrived on Christmas Eve for little Peter.

well done that guy from Ruthin
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

That's fantastic, I wonder if he could do a Falke rear sight too?

Outstanding, Jules! Which hen's tooth is the original and which the repro? I can't tell.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Looks to be an excellent replica of the original. Well done that man.

Excellent piece of work. If Jules ever decided to 'turn professional' I'm sure he'd find a ready market here (I would be one of the first customers - my 'D' is also lacking most of it's peep sight!).
    Last edited by scrapman; 09-12-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Amazing!
    Imagine if it had arrived on Christmas Eve for little Peter.

Yeh, I could have given father Christmas that Light Patt for little Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Outstanding, Jules! Which hen's tooth is the original and which the repro? I can't tell.

Neither Danny

They are mk3 and mk4 proto-types and as you say 'Outstanding'

Hi All, as a slight aside I have fitted a ladder rear sight from a Lee Enfield to a Standard with a pre existing cut-out And it does not look out of place. I did however have to make a base to take the sight!and I used 0.030"formed brass sheet These LE sights are on the *bay at the moment. Regards Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Outstanding work Jules. May I suggest they are discreetly marked in some way to prevent tomorrow's collectors mistaking them for genuine factory items?

They really are that good!

John

A brilliant example of engineering competence working from an original but I doubt if it was 'knocked up in five minutes' - quite a few hours of machining and fitting I suspect. The guy obviously takes pride in what he does. Well done!
    Aubrey

Thanks for the positive feedback to all.
    Have to say that in hand there is no way they would pass as authentic.

When the first attempt was sent to Binners we imaginatively called it "Proto"
    Hand made from photos kindly supplied by John & Josie of a tape measure alongside an authentic sight.

Truthfully it is a simple task easily and accurately done with basic machine tools none of which I can access.
    I know many that would laugh at our effort when marking for speed, finish, and accuracy. However we did it and enjoyed the task and outcome.

The trickiest bit was producing the co-axial counter threaded elevation and windage adjusters accurately.
    Not really necessary but we like a challenge and looks more authentic.
    Most disappointing is the failure to knurl the adjuster screw heads. Oh! not rust blued and no graduated scale due to pressure from Santa

We feel Mk5 coming on. Best regards Peter enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    That's fantastic, I wonder if he could do a Falke rear sight too?
    Looks to me that the answer is "all of some and some of all" just depends which rear sight we need.