Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding ammunition.

Expanding ammunition.

Isn't it about time we started lobbying our shooting organisations to try and get the rules changed re. ordering expanding bullets by post for reloading? I can't see any sense in this restriction and it causes great problems in trying to acquire some of the less popular sizes such as .22 Hornet.

It's not a lot of use finding an RFD who has some in stock if they are over 100 miles away!

My local RFD has had some on order for me for over 6 weeks.

totally agree

It's not quite that simple is it, the reason they cannot be posted is that they are restricted by your FAC, so the sender/seller has to fill out the holding section of the buyers certificate.

I realise that, I was wanting them taken off the FAC requirement, I don't see much point in the restriction.

The point is that you require the expanding ammo to shoot prey, so a target only shooter, (without expanding) in theory can't/won't decide to go hunting where their lack of experience in the field might cause a safety issue through lack of a safe backstop.

or so I was told.

but if they don't have permission to use the rifle on anything other than an MOD approved range, they would still be breaking the law and would just use a lead round??

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The point is that you require the expanding ammo to shoot prey, so a target only shooter, (without expanding) in theory can't/won't decide to go hunting where their lack of experience in the field might cause a safety issue through lack of a safe backstop.

or so I was told.
    expanding was put into the original legislation as a result of Dunblane, only afterwards did someone point out that hunting required expanding ammo for humane reasons, usual balls up with legislation not being fully thought through... or so I am led to believe.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's not quite that simple is it, the reason they cannot be posted is that they are restricted by your FAC, so the sender/seller has to fill out the holding section of the buyers certificate.
    They don't have to be entered on the FAC if they are only bullets being transferred, it is the ammunition that needs to be filled out on the FAC table.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Expanding Bullets

Previous post correct.
    RFD must confirm you are permitted to purchase/possess expanding bullets but not rquired to enter the purchase on your ticket. All ammunition purchased must be entered on your ticket.
    Al.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Expanding bullet heads have to be added to ticket.
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    Bullet 'heads'

The entering of these projectiles on FACs seems to vary from RFD to RFD to county to county........ we've been here many times

Quote Originally Posted by physeptone View Post
    Bullet 'heads'

The entering of these projectiles on FACs seems to vary from RFD to RFD to county to county........ we've been here many times
    Bullet Heads = Cheshire
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    They don't have to be, just some people like to think they do.

Won't matter if you keep adding them until you get to the point of needing some real ammo and no space left on the ticket.

If you want it done, then by all means do it, it just doesn't need to be done.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

According to every RFD I've spoken to both local & by phone and Devon & Cornwall licencing dept, expanding bullets for reloading DO need to be recorded, they have just doubled my ammunition holding allowance based purely on that fact.

"Expanding bullets"

The majority of FMJ bullets available for Hornet...generally 37-45gn....are classed as "expanding" in the UK, although no differentation is made in the USA, where the boxes say "hunting, varmint or target".
    Ref a previous post, I understand this bullet restriction was another daft decision from the Dunblane incident...and we wiil not see the Dunblane enquiry papers in our lifetime! I believe that the term "dum dum bullets" was used in the decision to restrict "expanding bullets". When you are shooting at paper targets, the target does not know or care what type of bullet is being used..:

I can fully understand the humane requirement to use "expanding" bullets for shooting game but not the restriction for target shooters. Presumably a game shooter has no restriction in using his expanding bullets to shoot at targets when zeroing his rifle?

amc577