Thread: Walther LGR vs FWB 600/ C60

Walther LGR vs FWB 600/ C60

I've found an LGR at DAI leisure via Gunstar.
    Apparently it's immaculate and seals fine.. The only thing is it's listed for £500 and that puts it up against a lot of other secondhand equipment, - FWB 600 and C60 can be found cheaper.

I've got a couple of questions,

Is it worth it? Or would a FWB be better for the money?

As it's a couple of hours away, does anyone know this gun and is it a good shooter?

Jonathan

I would say the LGR is somewhat overpriced, I have just missed out on a LGR universal that looked good in the photos that sold for £300, and the dealer had reduced the price from £350.

I thought it might be overpriced but the valuation threads I've seen are a couple of years old so wasn't sure if there had just been some rejuvenated interest in them or something since..
    This one has the non adjustable stock.
    With a pretty poor example of my existing 10m rifle I'd have probably just bought it for something in between the prices you mentioned..

Jonathan

I never liked SSP guns. Very awkward cocking. Especially in kneeling or prone.
    I'd pick the C60.
    Here, the FWB600 goes for around 300 euro's. LGR is more rare, but same age.
    500 is way overprized. Thats FWB 602/603 pricing
    ATB,
    yana

Besides the direction of the cocking stroke, is there advantage to the 600 over the LGR?
    Do the LGRs feel a little more muzzle heavy? - having the barrel at the end of the cylinder instead of above it makes me see it as possible.. which is also what I prefer.

Jonathan

For what it's worth the cocking effort required is lighter on the 600 series, 601 to be preferred IMO. Firing cycle is much much quicker on the 600 than the Walther. The LGR barrel weight is quite heavy, nothing out of the way though & the Feinwerkbau could be made to balance in a similar fashion. Stock wise the LGR is a little longer as standard iirc.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Thankyou,
    From what you say it sounds like I'll probably shoot better with the Walther but dislike the lock time and slightly heavier cocking.
    Hoping to have a go with someones Walther this Wednesday and it looks like I've found a Universal elsewhere in great condition for £250..
    As I've limited funds right now and that sort of money can easily be covered by selling something ..we shall see..
    Got to be miles better than what seems to be the only Friday afternoon before Christmas Diana 75 I've heard of.

Jonathan

I used LGR last year in local club 7yds shooting. I remember my first shooting with it during bell target competition, my first ever bell target attempt and first time with SSP rifle. I won my averages group with a score better than second shooter in the best group. That rifle impressed me very much then. I didn't like the cocking but balance and trigger were very good for me. Now I have FWB 600 and beside bit lighter cocking I can not see much difference. Both rifles can score same high, it's really personal preference I would say. In our local league one guy is using LGR since about 20 yrs or something, since he bought it. And he scores possibles almost every time. Probably the same we could say about some FWB users. After all price wise LGR is the winner.
    Current project: Haenel 311

Tried an LGR tonight..
    Got to say I was impressed.. Surprisingly good and despite the age of the design, the trigger was actually too light for me.

On Edit, without adjusting the stock to fit better and attaching the rear sight without re-zeroing.. after around 30 shots with the LGR I'd got enough to get an idea.. Went on to use my existing Diana which is adjusted for me and with it shooting unusually well, scored an average nearly as good. The Walther seems to have more potential for me.
    Last edited by J Grainger; 19-12-2014 at 09:49 PM.

hi
    i use a Walther LGR for 6yd free standing target shooting,i find it well balanced,not to heavy.The cocking you get use to,and as for accuracy it is matching scores using artillery hold,of other club members with there Feinwerkbau 800.

i paid £250.00 for mine,and i am well happy with it! considering i have only this year started 6yd shooting.