Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley MK 1 pistol

Webley MK 1 pistol

I know I have made the odd cutting remark about Webley Air Pistols but I have fallen for No 26033.
    VGC and .177.
    Works well and accurate at 6 yards.
    If I say I am sorry can someone give me a year and guidance as to what oil,if any, goes in the hole in the top.

Sorry to IJ too.

Well done Gingernut!

A moly based oil such as SM50 is probably about the best in moderation.

John

Webley MK I

There were around 50,000 MKI pistols (including some MK II Target models) made between 1924 and 1935. Your gun would therefore be from 1929-1930. I have seen bog standard SAE 30 engine oil recommended for these pistols, but there could be a risk of dieseling.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I know I have made the odd cutting remark about Webley Air Pistols but I have fallen for No 26033.
    VGC and .177.
    Works well and accurate at 6 yards.
    If I say I am sorry can someone give me a year and guidance as to what oil,if any, goes in the hole in the top.

Sorry to IJ too.
    Welcome to the Wobbly brigade.

The advice you have been given on oils and year of manufacture takes care of your questions so I am only writing this little
    ditty to let you know how delighted I am and for you to know how happy it will make me to see Ian's face when he gets the good news about your splendid purchase.

You could make it even worse (for IJ) and enjoy it even more by shooting it in the 6yard MPL postal competition this season
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks Chaps.
    The Gentleman who sold this fine little pistol has more to sell including,maybe,a cased LP53.
    I'm hoping its a red lined case !

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    There were around 50,000 MKI pistols (including some MK II Target models) made between 1924 and 1935. Your gun would therefore be from 1929-1930. I have seen bog standard SAE 30 engine oil recommended for these pistols, but there could be a risk of dieseling.
    Webley No 2 oil was the SAE 30 engine oil and that is recommended for metal piston rings rather than the leather piston washer of the Mark I. Webley initially recommended Neatsfoot oil for the leather washers and that is another option.

Kind regards,

John

Red face

I know there was a thread about how vintage airguns smell and i'm sure someone said it was SAE30 that gave them that beautiful vintage odour but I got a gallon of SAE30 and it's not the same!!

I also heard people saying how lurvely the Ballistol product smells!!- I bought some and it's not the same either!!

I recently bought an old HW35 and it reeks this gorgeous smell, It's so nice that I daren't do anything to it so the smell stays!!

It's been polished at some stage so I thought it would be easy to just give it a last shine and send it for reblueing but I can't bring myselt to in case I can't get that odour back!!

Does it make me sound pervy??

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

No.
    Castrol R does the same to me.
    Thanks to my friend Baz- Aquila oil from South Africa as well!

EP90 is my thing. A lovely old whiff.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Phosphorus & Sulphur if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Webley No 2 oil was the SAE 30 engine oil and that is recommended for metal piston rings rather than the leather piston washer of the Mark I. Webley initially recommended Neatsfoot oil for the leather washers and that is another option.

John
    Hi,

I agree with John (above) SAE 30 for metal piston rings and Neatsfoot oil for leather washers as fitted to the Mk1. Neatsfoot oil can usually be obtained from a saddlery or leather product outlet.

Regards

Brian

I had to look this one up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    EP90 (GL4)...has a strong smell, like the old town gas!

Just thinking back to the original question and following Webleys' advice, I bought a huge bottle of Neatsfoot oil a few years ago and it turned into a sticky mess within a couple of years, so not sure how good it is as a lubricant Maybe a bad batch? Anybody know?

I did ask a similar question on here a little while ago and I think Parker Hale Express oil was recommended, although I have lost the thread.

I have used SM 50 for years but wanted to use something that looks more contemporary from some old Parker Hale valvespout oil tins I have.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I know there was a thread about how vintage airguns smell and i'm sure someone said it was SAE30 that gave them that beautiful vintage odour but I got a gallon of SAE30 and it's not the same!!

I also heard people saying how lurvely the Ballistol product smells!!- I bought some and it's not the same either!!

I recently bought an old HW35 and it reeks this gorgeous smell, It's so nice that I daren't do anything to it so the smell stays!!

It's been polished at some stage so I thought it would be easy to just give it a last shine and send it for reblueing but I can't bring myselt to in case I can't get that odour back!!

Does it make me sound pervy??

John
    There was a particular smell I always associated with my dad's shotguns, which I could never find when I got my own guns and cleaning gear. He used to have a (very) rusty tin of the stuff which he'd had for years and years and he couldn't remember what it was. Years later I was kindly given a tin of Rangoon oil from an old gent who'd been shooting 60+ years and had always used the stuff.

Now, if only I could find out the origins of the sickly sweet aroma of the pipe tobacco granddad smoked...