Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annealing.

As above except dropping in water will stop any chance of the heat travelling down the case after removing from the heat source, quite possible with tiny Hornet cases.

Since my original post I've had another go and did about 75 cases today with no problems, just a matter of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    The annealing process with brass is different than something like steel. To anneal steel you would heat to red hot then cool slowly, to harden it you would heat to red hot then cool it quickly by quenching in water/oil.

With brass it makes no difference whether you let it cool slowly in the air or water quench, it still stays soft, brass is hardened by working it (which is why we anneal cases)

To anneal brass you need to raise the temperature to above about 600F but below about 850F, the problem is that we only want some of the case annealed not the whole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    As above except dropping in water will stop any chance of the heat travelling down the case after removing from the heat source, quite possible with tiny Hornet cases.

Since my original post I've had another go and did about 75 cases today with no problems, just a matter of practice.
    Now I understand, thanks guys, all makes sence now.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

I use one of those cheap syringe claw action pick-up tools when I'm annealing cases.... the thin shaft makes turning the case in the flame a doddle in your fingers.

It takes around 10 seconds per case.

Cheers

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!