Thread: Protective coating

Protective coating

Hi guys,

Does anyone else give their guns a protective coating to stop moisture etc from damaging the finish. I use Renaissance Wax a couple of times a year, a thin coat wiped on and buffed up gives the wood and metalwork a soft sheen and protects it from the elements and fingerprints.
    The wax is used extensively by the British Museum, it protects wood, metal and leather items.

Les
    Last edited by les y; 14-12-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Interesting - I'll take a look at that. Part of my collection is kept in a walk-in attic which is slightly damp as it is unheated, so the guns do need protecting. I've been using a furniture polish called 'Briwax' - it's some kind of hard wax already partially dissolved in a solvent. I add more solvent (lighter fluid) then apply a thin film with a clean rag, let it dry then give it a quick buffing up. It seems to do the job, and does actually make both metal and wood look good. If necessary it can be quickly and easily removed with lighter fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
    Interesting - I'll take a look at that. Part of my collection is kept in a walk-in attic which is slightly damp as it is unheated, so the guns do need protecting. I've been using a furniture polish called 'Briwax' - it's some kind of hard wax already partially dissolved in a solvent. I add more solvent (lighter fluid) then apply a thin film with a clean rag, let it dry then give it a quick buffing up. It seems to do the job, and does actually make both metal and wood look good. If necessary it can be quickly and easily removed with lighter fluid.

Nick --- 18 Wheeler on here, sells Renaissance wax in small quantities at reasonable cost at airgun events.

I don't know if he'd be willing to post but it may be worth contacting him to ask if you'd like to try some.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Nick --- 18 Wheeler on here, sells Renaissance wax in small quantities at reasonable cost at airgun events.

I don't know if he'd be willing to post but it may be worth contacting him to ask if you'd like to try some.

All the best Mick

Thanks, Mick, but I've found someone on fleabay selling it (just under a tenner for 65g) and ordered some. At that price I hope a little goes a long way!

Cheers, Rex.