Thread: Rat problem!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rat problem!

Saw a rat at the bottom of the garden last night when the security light came on scurrying away. Had a look today and it's excavated soft soil in the corner of the garden well hidden. I've put some cat food out and going to wait until dark. Problem is I've no night vision. What coloured filter least disturbs rats? Il be shooting 15yards so no problem with range. Any advice?

put a bit of food down and let them have it for a couple of nights then ambush em this seems to work for me the rats get confident keep a light on in the house and place the food were you can see it the rats will go in light for a free meal put little bits down so they have to keep coming back have fun

Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    put a bit of food down and let them have it for a couple of nights then ambush em this seems to work for me the rats get confident keep a light on in the house and place the food were you can see it the rats will go in light for a free meal put little bits down so they have to keep coming back have fun
    It's very dark at the bottom of the garden which filter colour do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    It's very dark at the bottom of the garden which filter colour do you reckon?
    try to put the bait nearer to the house and leave a light on you will find the rats will come the light should give you light to shoot em wait for them and get your eyes used to the dark ei night vision then all you need is a scope on you rifle

A red filter works best, but it's hard to get a strong red light using filters, you need a torch with red LED really.

I've had a lot of success around chicken feeders using those solar powered garden lights, I clustered 6 around it, the rats got used to it & just trundled on up without any problems, it meant I was able to pick them off using a scope set to 3x without any additional light.

If you use good white light, like a Cree XML T6, you still stand a chance, it sort of freezes them in p;lace for at least 2 or 3 seconds before they decide it's not good news & vamoose, if you're well set up you can usually get an aimed shot in.

I bought a green laser designator as i was informed that they can't see that frequency.

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3x40-...r_hunting.aspx

this worked for a while.

but a few seemed to realise trouble was coming once this switched on.

having tried to shoot one 3 times with the laser, seeing it from the house and then sneaking down the side of the house raising the gun and switching the laser on to find it was gone within fractions of second each time the light came on.

i reverted to using a torch that the batteries have seen better days, this i illuminated the rat with he ran off to some bushes, i couldn't see him, was about to give in and looked up to find he'd come back out and was sat on lawn about 10ft away at the base of the bird feeder.