Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rat problem!

Quote Originally Posted by MRGbb View Post
    Cant stand the suspense have your nailed it yet? Will find out sat if I get to club
    One down! Hope to catch you Saturday, be good to escape for a couple of hours!

Good morning mate

let me price it up buddy when I get home from work this evening and I will let you know a ruff price, think it was under £150 though and I spread the cost over a few months!

Tfn..

Or there is the red cree beam route which is much cheaper but I found night vision far more superior to be honest. .

If they are appearing in a relatively small area, bait it and also leave an LED lantern running for a few nights before. A real cheap evilbay job will do it. Once they get used to the light they will come back regardless We used to do this on the farm and it worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    For this job I'm using a bsa ultra multi .22 and decent AO hawke scope. The range is 12yards, my first point of zero so aiming smack on. Bagged a full size one tonight quickly after baiting with cheap cat food. Going to see if all of it has gone in the morning.
    Checked this morning and the bait and the body was gone.... hungry cat, fox or its mates!!! rebaiting tonight... its funny how the wife curses me when I tell her I've shot a rabbit or a tree rat. But when its a rat I'm a hero!!!!

tell be about it but they really are filthy creatures, they turn me over and can't believed how bold they are! In the summer I was blocking off the fence where I had seen some pop through and from nowhere one come running towards where I was to get back through to part I was blocking! When it realised it could not get through it squeaked and darted through another hole in the bottom of the fence..

Did s##t me up a bit to say the least The body that disappeared was more than likely one of its hungry mates buddy!
    I would use poison if I could but we have a dog so shooting is the best way for me nice clean head shots..

Im sure they will show themselves again soon..

Foggy: seriously.... what are the parts for a homemade night vision?

Ok guys well here is some of the parts you will need to start a DIY build for night vision..

First you will need a project box from Maplins about £5, this will hold all the guts for your night vision so needs to be big enough to house everything!

You will need.....

5" Reversing Camera £16

E700 IR Camera from Sure £68 with the pink filter removed so it can pick up the I/R light

12v li on Battery £16

Splitter wire from Sure to connect your Camera and Monitor to your battery £3.54

Adaptor for mounting the Camera onto your scope (Depends on your scope) Sure do these too I think!

Rocker switch again from Maplins £1.50

T20 I/R torch £30

Battery & Charger for the T20 torch £18.99 for 2 batteries Charger £12.37

Scope mount for the T20 £15

Rail and Scope mount to fix the project box to your scope

Thats the basics chaps, I will try to throw some links up on here after dinner but my other half is giving me hassle
    Last edited by fog horn; 16-12-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update

homemade nightvision.... other uses...

i have tremendous admiration for your capacity to deal with this...
    ...but i think i'm just going to revert to the earlier suggestion someone in a similar situation made for a couple of garden solar lights to illuminate a suitable baited killzone and getting the little buggers used to it.

My son, however, is seriously impressed with your solution. I think the 'camera' and 'monitor' sparked an idea with him - his concept is to set up a motion detector system that logs and records activity as many of our darling nocturnal friends are pretty regular on the nightshift. The system could be setup to output to PC using wifi from a fairly mobile unit which could be easily placed anywhere - with the 'signal' input through some suitable software to watch, record and log.

don't be surprised if you get more questions (from him via me) in about a week. I'm more a 'setup/beer/wait' sort of guy.

sat eating my diner at the job I am doing renovating a pub to accomadate disabled kids looked down and a rat was looking at me about 10 yds away . told the owner and he went ballistic he hates em told him I could sort em with my air rifle he said bring it down and get stuck in . as their is only me on site its safe to shoot so tomorrow dinner should be carnage baited em today before I left ps theirs no beer now its a change of use before we get wise cracks

I love ratting.

It's nearly worth the damage they do, just for the pleasure of despatching them.

i shot two in the summer the first was daft and just sat there eating the bird food, a youngster that learnt a lesson the hard way it won't repeat.

The second was very cautious, I eventually got a shot at it as it poked its head out from a bush.

It ran behind my shed and down the side, i could see its corpse half sticking out from under the fence to our neighbours, i hauled it back using long handled grabbers as i didn't want to touch the thing. It was the size of a trainer, fat, heavy, with lumps missing from its tail, scars on its face and a big pellet hole in its skull.

Rats, love to hate them.

Yep see bold as brass!

no problems Chiefool

to be fair I did buy a red cree lamp at first, which was ok and I managed to take one out that stuck its head out from under nextdoors fence after me staking it out for 2hrs but some tall nosey sod had a good look over the fence at the red light when walking past with his dog so thought might be better with invisable I/R light but was not going to pay £600 plus.. that can go towards my next gun

I was really impressed on the quality of the image and got to say looking down the scope into the blackness of the garden but seeing everything made be feel like I did when I got my first air rifle as a kid! Priceless

& Mr ratty has no idea his lit up like a Christmas tree!

is there a photo of your night vision scope? would love to see how it turned out

Chieffool buddy I don't know how to post puctures up on here I hear you can use photo bucket but ive not got a account but tell you what mate pm me your email address and I will send you some photo's there?

Cheers buddy