Thread: HW57 1st Fettle

HW57 1st Fettle

From the start, pop-up pellet port was very stiff. to push home. Both the RFD & I had to exert a lot of force with the heels of our palms. So after stock removal the 'O' ring at the bottom of the port was removed, allowing the port to be pushed upwards & out. Both inboard (trigger end) & outboard faces where finished in black, with score marks on the inboard face.

I elected to shave the trigger end, using 400 grade wet & dry placed on glass to ensure a 'true' surface. After the finish was removed, the port was still too tight so the surface was taken further down in 2 or 3 stages until a snug interference fit was obtained, with firm pressure of thumb or forefinger only. A new 'O' ring 4mm i.d. (from a very useful 400 piece assortment from Aldi) was then fitted. Presumably this ring acts as an upward stop as well as sealing off the bottom of the port.

WHITE PLASTIC distance piece (?) Couldn't fathom what this (round delrin bar) was for, but it was replaced in its drilled recess in the stock. The gall marks on it indicated which way up as well as its inboard/outboard rotation. Does the cocking/port opening action lever against this I wonder?

The shank of the port is in 2 pieces by the way, with the bottom part sliding in to the uper part at the 'O' ring groove.

To initially test the job, I've fired three cleaning pellets. No problems or sign of air loss via top & bottom of port, while the port could now be pushed home by a lady or junior shooter.

Next job is to degrease, measure inside & deburr etc., as so successfully tutored by snoop601 at Quigley Hollow.

Very new to gun insides, so any observations welcome.....
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

The white nylon piece it there to assist the movements of the cocking lever, as such it's essential that it's correctly located.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Very good first fettle. The o ring does dot seal it merely stops the pop up port from falling out if the rifle is up ended, ( highly unlikely,as it is a snug fit). It is adviseable to grease the shaft of the port as this is where most of the stiffness comes from. The port is sealed both sides with standard HW breech seals PLUS both seals are shimmed. Mine had 6 shims in total ,4 behind one breech seal and 2 behind the other. I found that as purchased the pellet port was scuffing on the rear face, so I eventualy moved the shims so that there were 3 each side. The shims are very thin ( maybe 1 or 2 thou each). After carefully prying out the breach seals I used a tiny magnet to pull the shims out.
    I would suggest you do not mess with the shims until you have put a couple of hundred rounds downrange ,just to
    let the port settle into place. If it then shows signs of scuffing on one side then move a shim from the opposite side to that side to stop the metal to metal contact. To minimise the scuffing always push the port down in a linear way.....i.e straight down in a perpendicular push with the thumb.
    Hope this helps.
    Pete.
    P.S.

A wonky donky mainspring plus delrin guie and top hat, plus a piston liner will transform the rifle.
    Oh, almost forgot....the white nylon bush in the stock is a guide for the cocking arm. These rifles also have a steel roller in the cocking link so do not suffer from galling at all.
    Also.....do NOT over tighten the 2 front stock screws as the wood there is very thin and WILL split. Either secure the screws with threadlock to prevent them loosening or make some brass stock inserts to snug the screws onto.

Very interesting thread, considering my recent purchase.

I love my '57, great lightweight under lever, but it needs a set back trigger. Easy to work on.
    Good advice from Mr. Flat.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Great to see you're bettering perfection Gwyn .... Great to read you've treated yourself to another springer .... Only shot one of these once ... Black beard had his a the last bash ... Look forward to having a plink in June !!!
    Www.wendoverairrifleclub.co.uk
    Quigley Hollow Airgun Club
    I kicked the bucket , with 2 feet firmly on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    The white nylon piece it there to assist the movements of the cocking lever, as such it's essential that it's correctly located.
    Many thanks bhodge!

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Very good first fettle. The o ring does dot seal it merely stops the pop up port from falling out if the rifle is up ended, ( highly unlikely,as it is a snug fit). It is adviseable to grease the shaft of the port as this is where most of the stiffness comes from. The port is sealed both sides with standard HW breech seals PLUS both seals are shimmed. Mine had 6 shims in total ,4 behind one breech seal and 2 behind the other. I found that as purchased the pellet port was scuffing on the rear face, so I eventualy moved the shims so that there were 3 each side. The shims are very thin ( maybe 1 or 2 thou each). After carefully prying out the breach seals I used a tiny magnet to pull the shims out.
    I would suggest you do not mess with the shims until you have put a couple of hundred rounds downrange ,just to
    let the port settle into place. If it then shows signs of scuffing on one side then move a shim from the opposite side to that side to stop the metal to metal contact. To minimise the scuffing always push the port down in a linear way.....i.e straight down in a perpendicular push with the thumb.
    Hope this helps.
    Pete.
    P.S.

A wonky donky mainspring plus delrin guie and top hat, plus a piston liner will transform the rifle.
    Oh, almost forgot....the white nylon bush in the stock is a guide for the cocking arm. These rifles also have a steel roller in the cocking link so do not suffer from galling at all.
    Also.....do NOT over tighten the 2 front stock screws as the wood there is very thin and WILL split. Either secure the screws with threadlock to prevent them loosening or make some brass stock inserts to snug the screws onto.
    Thanks a bundle mate. Excellent & comprehensive its been pasted into my workbook, so very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.allum View Post
    Great to see you're bettering perfection Gwyn .... Great to read you've treated yourself to another springer .... Only shot one of these once ... Black beard had his a the last bash ... Look forward to having a plink in June !!!
    Yo Chris! Hope you're moving up the comp league Mate. June can't come too sune. Hoping you can make York in May... ATB you & yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    I love my '57, great lightweight under lever, but it needs a set back trigger. Easy to work on.
    Good advice from Mr. Flat.

Gus
    Hi Gus. I must have big hands, pull is OK for me. This rifle handles so easily for me, I begin to feel confident about standing shots.

Like the 57 myself, mines in .22 , at first it was bloody awful, but some tlc from Welsh -Willi and it transformed it in to a great little rifle. One of HWs, overlooked rifles maybe anyways enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post
    Yo Chris! Hope you're moving up the comp league Mate. June can't come too sune. Hoping you can make York in May... ATB you & yours.
    May !!! Yes ....lm going to try and get there !!!! Forgot about that ... If it ain't quigley hollow it just doesn't jump out at me 👍
    Www.wendoverairrifleclub.co.uk
    Quigley Hollow Airgun Club
    I kicked the bucket , with 2 feet firmly on the ground

My .22 HW57 had a rather tight loading port, and I was told about the shims behind the seal, but to be honest, 6 months later, and plenty of lube on each outing, no issues at all, now a perfect fit, so you maybe putting the shims back in after a few months…..

Mine was fettled by Wonky Donky, shoots lovely, consistent 11.5s all day long :-)

PS, be careful with the choice of lube in these, need something fairly light.

Geoff.
    Thanks - Geoff.