Thread: Sod's Law strkes again.

Sod's Law strkes again.

Yesterday I sold a beautiful boxed aircane to an acquaintance that I'm sure will become a good friend. We'd a period of haggling before we agreed on a price, then, as he started to count his money out I closed the case and was lifting it into the back of my van. At that point a third party approached and nodded towards the box saying that we'd discussed it in the past when I'd told him that there was no visible maker's name on it. After that he'd gone home and stripped his identical one and found James Townend hidden within, on the lock. I said that I'd just sold it and the buyer would almost certainly want to hear what he'd got to say. He did and we're all now much wiser. Having a name as a starting point makes research so much easier. 10 minutes of Google and I was soon reading some most erudite articles by our very own Dean Fletcher.

I don't know if the others are on here. If so I hope they'll make themselves known.

I'm sure we all enjoyed the encounter although if I'd had the info 5 minutes sooner I think the cane would have been £50 dearer. It was like a Webley Service - the quality shone through it.

I hope this makes one or two of you smile on a not too-pleasant Monday morning.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Hi if you had asked on here l could have pointed you in the right direction how to find out who was the maker, as l had one with no markings on the outside, but on removeing the lock cover there was the letters JT and a se/no stamped on the lock,
    There is a little booklet that has been reprinted from a seller of these guns that was on (the bay).

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi if you had asked on here l could have pointed you in the right direction how to find out who was the maker, as l had one with no markings on the outside, but on removeing the lock cover there was the letters JT and a se/no stamped on the lock,
    There is a little booklet that has been reprinted from a seller of these guns that was on (the bay).
    I'd really got my research pencilled in for the Xmas period and didn't expect the cane to sell before the next MM do anyway.

One constant in life is that hindsight is always 20/20!

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I'd really got my research pencilled in for the Xmas period and didn't expect the cane to sell before the next MM do anyway.

One constant in life is that hindsight is always 20/20!

ATB, Mick
    l know where you are coming from on the hindsight bit, the booklet is called Air Guns and other Air Weapons by Reilly Junior.
    regards,
    Micky.