Thread: TLD SR200 Firearm Moderator

TLD SR200 Firearm Moderator

One thing that really bugs me is the fact that moderators have to be on ticket items and therefore a variation is required if you make a mistake.
    I wanted a mod for the 6.5 x 47 and as it was a range gun I was not that concerned over the blast taming more about the overall balance. The gun also has a less than popular thread, so I was going to have to wait.
    In my local gunshop they had a very nice looking TLD moderator, so against better judgement I purchased it. I had no idea of how it would perform but assumed that most mods these days should.

It is a very nice looking carbon fibre bodied reflex design with a changeable thread adapter. Therefore in theory a mod to fit all guns.

Once fitted I took it out and fired the gun without the mod to check zero. I then fitted the mod and shot another to see the shift and that was about 2" high 2" left. I had left my ear defenders on for that shot. I then took a shot with ear defenders off and was amazed how loud the blast was. It was almost as if the mod was not on the gun. Took another shot and that was it, defenders back on as I had a severe ringing in my ears. Compared to my 270 WSM with a Northstar on, the muzzle blast was incredibly loud.

As a mod, the TLD is as good as useless and by far the applies the least level of attenuation I have ever come across in a firearm moderator. They look good, but as far as doing what they are supposed to it is woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    One thing that really bugs me is the fact that moderators have to be on ticket items and therefore a variation is required if you make a mistake.
    I wanted a mod for the 6.5 x 47 and as it was a range gun I was not that concerned over the blast taming more about the overall balance. The gun also has a less than popular thread, so I was going to have to wait.
    In my local gunshop they had a very nice looking TLD moderator, so against better judgement I purchased it. I had no idea of how it would perform but assumed that most mods these days should.

It is a very nice looking carbon fibre bodied reflex design with a changeable thread adapter. Therefore in theory a mod to fit all guns.

Once fitted I took it out and fired the gun without the mod to check zero. I then fitted the mod and shot another to see the shift and that was about 2" high 2" left. I had left my ear defenders on for that shot. I then took a shot with ear defenders off and was amazed how loud the blast was. It was almost as if the mod was not on the gun. Took another shot and that was it, defenders back on as I had a severe ringing in my ears. Compared to my 270 WSM with a Northstar on, the muzzle blast was incredibly loud.

As a mod, the TLD is as good as useless and by far the applies the least level of attenuation I have ever come across in a firearm moderator. They look good, but as far as doing what they are supposed to it is woeful.
    Can you return it as as useless?
    If so, have a look at the Aimzonic mods. I have recently bought the reflex style for the 308. It is lightweight yet moderates as well as my old JetZ Compact. It makes the Hardy on my 6.5 sound rather loud in comparison.

I can, but the variation is still a pain.
    I will do though. I think I will stick with the Northstar as I will get a bit of weight up the front end.

I remember seeing an article in a magazine some time ago which tested several mods and gave attenuation results - sadly I don't remember which mag is was, but perhaps another member might have copied it and would let us all have the benefit of it.

Glad I didn't buy the 6.5 TLD mod you had advertised on here off of you now then Blue
    Thanks for looking

have you checked they have put the make and model on your ticket, as all mine are no named and listed as unknown and listed as CF or RF moderator so swapping would be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Glad I didn't buy the 6.5 TLD mod you had advertised on here off of you now then Blue

Bang to Rights.
    To be fair it does control the muzzle. As for working as a moderator.........It is indeed next to useless.