The Surrey Branch of the MLAGB had their annual Christmas Shoot last Sunday (14th Dec) at Badshot Lea.

BBQ was as usual excellent.

4 fun pistol/revolver competitions:

Folded Target: PL7 target folded in half (shooter can choose orientation of fold), 5 shots at 25 yds, any gun. Open the target and score the 10 holes (hit the crease and it makes only one hole, which counts as only one hit). Bravely aim nearer to the bull and risk missing the target entirely. I did very poorly in that one, choosing to aim for the centre of the folded target, of course you will get 4's 5's and 6's only.

Turkey Shoot: Black spot (target patch) placed randomly on the back of a PL7 target but outside the black - shooter can see where it is placed before target is put up. 10 shots at 25 yards any gun. Nearest the spot wins the Turkey. [Winner actually hit the spot three times!] Nearest I got was about 2 inches away and way down the results list

Pocket Pistol: PL 7 at 10 yards. Boxlock pocket pistol only. 10 shots. Best score to win. It is surprisingly difficult as these guns have no sights, and you can't even see the barrel when on aim as the hammer covers it. At 10 yards a PL7 looks huge and you can't believe how difficult it is to even hit the target. Winner took the trophy with an unprecedented run of luck, for his 21st consecutive win . I got 4th place with 5 scoring hits using a borrowed gun (well it wouldn't be sporting to beat a man with his own gun would it? - that's my excuse anyway).

Christmas Pudding: 5 x circular scoring surfaces appx 4" in diameter on one A3 sheet with a xmas pud in the centre of each. Only one shot to count on each scoring surface, so this comp has element of skill. Prize is a really nice cast bronze xmas pudding, complete with holly leaves, berries, bullet holes and crumbs. One of our members designed and produced 25 of them and they are very sought after. The result.....modesty forbids