Thread: BSA Lightning Tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Lightning Tuning

Hi,
    just got back into a rifle and I've just got a BSA Lightning XL.
    Don't know much about the gun yet but as I've had a few rifles over the decades this was just the right price in .177 for doing a bit of bunny hunting and target shooting with my daughter without worrying about the finish like I used to with my Air Arms 200.
    I want to tune it to the legal limit and am looking at a V-Mach kit having done a bit of research into the best available.
    Considered gas ram but it doesn't hold as much promise from the comments I've seen although it does appeal still if someone has a good experience with one to offer in its defence.
    Looking at porting as well having played with many a cylinder head and high power engine over the years so if this is feasible any advice would be gratefully received.
    Also what is with the silencer/shroud?
    It will get a Weihrauch Moderator soon enough but I took the shroud apart to see what's in there and found nothing apart from a very hacked up looking plate of lead wrapped around the barrel between the barrel fitting and the shroud support.
    I can only assume this has been done by the previous owner to help with recoil but cannot see how it really helped and reducing the chamber space would have made it louder.
    Going to use H&N FTT for hunting with looking a what is most consistent and reliable.
    All advice gratefully received and if you know any bunny or pest control opportunities in the Redditch direction please let me know.
    Thanks
    Mark

Any help anyone?

bsa lightning tuning

Quote Originally Posted by markkeogh View Post
    Any help anyone?
    join the BSOG some good tips on there, I've tuned a few lightnings & their triggers, the triggers can be improved a fair bit with shimming out the side play with little nylon washers & careful polishing of the sides & sear.But I must say in all fairness some still were not accurate guns. The best was the brum built supersport the lightning evolved from. Best of luck with it, you'll need a spring compressor & a 2" bit off the end of a broomshank to strip it.

No offence matey and I don't want to sound rude but, your really up against it with that rifle. My advice would be to move it on and get something else.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Mark, don't listen to the nay-sayers, if you want to go ahead with it, you do it. I've got a Lightning and it's a cracking rifle, I've got no issues with build quality, it's also more accurate than my Birmingham-made Webley Longbows which have Walther barrels. I'm not saying it's perfect, some careful tuning would improve it but, while a few on here have had bad experiences (mostly from when Lightning production was moved out to Spain I think) there are plenty of people that have had Lightnings and like me and been pleased with them. If you've got one and like it, you enjoy it and tune it if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Mark, don't listen to the nay-sayers, if you want to go ahead with it, you do it. I've got a Lightning and it's a cracking rifle, I've got no issues with build quality, it's also more accurate than my Birmingham-made Webley Longbows which have Walther barrels. I'm not saying it's perfect, some careful tuning would improve it but, while a few on here have had bad experiences (mostly from when Lightning production was moved out to Spain I think) there are plenty of people that have had Lightnings and like me and been pleased with them. If you've got one and like it, you enjoy it and tune it if you wish.
    Some are great, some are not, that's the problem - if you have one that shoots accurate great. Some folk have ones that don't and then hope a tune kit will fix that - nope !
    Bit small sweep for 177 imo , good ones fine in 22

Quote Originally Posted by markkeogh View Post
    Hi,
    just got back into a rifle and I've just got a BSA Lightning XL.
    Don't know much about the gun yet but as I've had a few rifles over the decades this was just the right price in .177 for doing a bit of bunny hunting and target shooting with my daughter without worrying about the finish like I used to with my Air Arms 200.
    I want to tune it to the legal limit and am looking at a V-Mach kit having done a bit of research into the best available.
    Considered gas ram but it doesn't hold as much promise from the comments I've seen although it does appeal still if someone has a good experience with one to offer in its defence.
    Looking at porting as well having played with many a cylinder head and high power engine over the years so if this is feasible any advice would be gratefully received.
    Also what is with the silencer/shroud?
    It will get a Weihrauch Moderator soon enough but I took the shroud apart to see what's in there and found nothing apart from a very hacked up looking plate of lead wrapped around the barrel between the barrel fitting and the shroud support.
    I can only assume this has been done by the previous owner to help with recoil but cannot see how it really helped and reducing the chamber space would have made it louder.
    Going to use H&N FTT for hunting with looking a what is most consistent and reliable.
    All advice gratefully received and if you know any bunny or pest control opportunities in the Redditch direction please let me know.
    Thanks
    Mark
    They are hit and miss, not great in 177. If you want to put in a V Mach kit , it's the best bet. Better idea, sell it and get something else. Cometa 400, UK Webley (if you know what faults to be aware of pre purchase), HW95, Diana 31/34 ....