Thread: Lyn tuned HW80 in .20

Lyn tuned HW80 in .20

I just picked up my Lyn tuned HW80 in .20 - full lazaglide reduced cylinder job with barrel shims - threaded spring-guide - quickly change barrel - slim jim steel moderator...pretty much the works...

I will report back in detail later but very, very first impressions are that the recoil is a short (very short) sharp thud and the pellet is on its way.

Chrono'd at his place and at home and its very consistent (+/- not enough to care...walk away from the chrono) and 11.6 ftlbs with FTT.

Will put a decent scope on it (probably a lightsteam or Leup) and will run a couple of tins through it and report back.

Regarding the gentleman though - a pleasure to do business with and 100% on the mark - quality work and a good bloke too..

Regarding the drive...well bugger the M25!
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

it is true he does a very good job and is a very nice bloke.he did an 80 for me and spoiled it,by that i mean it was so good it did not feel like a springer.more like a pcp to shoot and i did not like the fact that it was so smooth and easy to shoot.sounds stupid i know but i do like to know that i have shot something

So - a longer review of the new HW80 from Venomman....

I got a lovely stock from Steve_M (shout out to Steve, another fine fella to do business with) which I put the action in, a Leup 6.5-20x40 EFR on top (it seemed period appropriate) and took it out for a test run.

The trigger needed the second stage lightening some but otherwise it was fabulous "out of the box".

The action is super snappy - a light "thump" and it's all over - mine is in .20 so I would imagine a .22 would be even more sedate but frankly this is the least springy springer I have owned - the extra weight over the HW95, the sleeved action, the barrel weight all make it easier to get accuracy in the real world. I doubt it's inherently more or less accurate than the Spectre in .22 I have but it seems easier to shoot accurately at the cost of quite a bit of extra heft. It has the least vibration and its recoil is very "linear" - not as multi-directional as some guns.

I don't suffer from chrono-itis but naturally I will run a few of each pellet over one to see that all is well and this gun is like a metronome - unweighed pellets have a +/- spread of about 9fps.

...and now the bad news...

Mine doesn't seem to "like" FTT, I will try another tin but the one I have has some big variations in pellet "fit" or "feel" on loading. That said it does seem to get on with Bisley Superfield - 32 yard (zero range) 10 shot group into 1/2 an inch C2C in field conditions, seated and not otherwise rested.

Superfield don't seem to be the very best "through the air" - at 42 yards they have dropped the best part of 2 inches... but that's still a lot better than .22 albeit, yes, not as flat as .177.

I have the .22 barrel being modified with the shim conversion and the slim-jim silencer so I have a backup choice if I don't get on with the .20. A .177 barrel and a .25 would make for a cool set

All in all I HIGHLY recommend the HW80 with 25mm sleeve conversion as done my Venom-man (Lyndon), he really knows his stuff.
    Last edited by Russ6357; 01-01-2015 at 07:55 PM.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ6357 View Post
    I just picked up my Lyn tuned HW80 in .20 - full lazaglide reduced cylinder job with barrel shims - threaded spring-guide - quickly change barrel - slim jim steel moderator...pretty much the works...

I will report back in detail later but very, very first impressions are that the recoil is a short (very short) sharp thud and the pellet is on its way.

Chrono'd at his place and at home and its very consistent (+/- not enough to care...walk away from the chrono) and 11.6 ftlbs with FTT.

Will put a decent scope on it (probably a lightsteam or Leup) and will run a couple of tins through it and report back.

Regarding the gentleman though - a pleasure to do business with and 100% on the mark - quality work and a good bloke too..

Regarding the drive...well bugger the M25!
    Good to hear that you like the gun and his work.

I had the same done to my HW80 in .20 except with a v-mach silencer. It is absolutely fantastic and a really special gun.

I also second your thoughts on Lyn.

And i know what you mean about the M25. Took me almost as long from east to west London as it did to get down the M4

Hw80 .20

I've got the .20 hw80 too. And what a cracker! Steve pope and lyn done a great job, topped with a lightstream, it's a joy to shoot! Anyone not sure to take the plunge in .20 come and have a shoot of mine!

Got a maglaza 80 in .20 cal and love it. Lyn did a tune on a 35 for myself...Top Guy to deal with. Mach 1.5

Yes Lyn dose a good job, I got my Bam 40 from him and its a cracker, so good in fact it fooleded a top f/t shot of my aquaintance in to stating you cant beat a sorted TX I can still remeber his face when I pointed out it wasnt a TX