Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 HW35 Valuation Help Please

1978 HW35 Valuation Help Please

I have a totally original leather seal 1978 HW 35 in .22 that's had less than a 1000 pellets through it from new ..... I bought it about the same time I discovered girls and the poor rifle never got a look in

There is some light rust (tempted to put very light) but would have thought most of it would come away with some light wire wool and oil, the stock is overall in good condition with a couple of light marks ... any ideas roughly what it may be worth??
    I had it tested 3 years ago and was 10.5 ft/lbs at the time.

put some picks up and we can try and tell you

I paid £145 for a 1980's gun in above average condition which I thought was a good buy.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I paid £145 for a 1980's gun in above average condition which I thought was a good buy.
    nThat is a good buy, but have paid has little has £80.00 for one has described by original poster so pics would healp
    . Not saying for one minaute thats all its worth but pics would help get the best valuation for you, atb

I struggled to get offered anything over £100. for a nice tidy original 1976 HW35 standard model, complete with it's iron sights, and that was in the more fashionable .177 cal.

The mention of 'light rust' probably puts the OP's gun in the 80-100 bracket IMHO. But you might be lucky and get a bit more.

Seriously good value (probably under-valued) guns...

Hw35

I paid £100 for an all original 1974 HW35 off the forum its been respringed with a genuine Weihrauch spring and a new piston and leather seal so its all original . It depends on what people are willing to pay so between say £80 to £120 they do go for more in RFD you only have to look at BAR or another North west dealers online webpages.As for finding out what girls were for should have started earlier
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

hi i bought this for £270 http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...1220122548.jpg

and sold it for £265 , it had a lovely stock unlike the hw35 standard ones you mostly see and had a full tuning kit complete with trigger fettle , it was a 1976 model, i was happy to pay the above price and the chap who bought it was as they say over the moon, he had traveled hours to get it,

It looks like it's one of those things the sentimental value is more than the £80 / 100 I may get as it is, I did post a while ago about maybe tuning it but just got a bit scared because I've never taken on apart before and din't want to do damage but sound like if I do I'd probably get what I spend doing it back if I sold it later bit if it turns out to be a cracking rifle as a result then I'd be best off hanging onto it anyway!!
    Cheers for the input it's always appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by rottenshot View Post
    It looks like it's one of those things the sentimental value is more than the £80 / 100 I may get as it is, I did post a while ago about maybe tuning it but just got a bit scared because I've never taken on apart before and din't want to do damage but sound like if I do I'd probably get what I spend doing it back if I sold it later bit if it turns out to be a cracking rifle as a result then I'd be best off hanging onto it anyway!!
    Cheers for the input it's always appreciated!!
    i think its just worth keeping than let it go for £80/£100, if its in reasonable condition i would keep as is ,

Dont worry about stripping the HW35. All you need is a couple of decent screwdrivers, a parallel pin punch and hammer. Thats basically it. Its one of the easiest rifles to strip. Just be aware there may be some spring tension on the end block when you remove it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Dont worry about stripping the HW35. Thats basically it. Its one of the easiest rifles to strip. Just be aware there may be some spring tension on the end block when you remove it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1

HTH
    Ian
    This is the only bit that concerns me and where I've seen comments saying make sure you have a spring compressor and if my spring is oldish and will a new Welsh Willy one for example take more compression to get it back in??

If I do go that route would it really make that much difference, my toss up is do that or sell it and it's part of the funds for a more modern TX200 HC or a Walther LGU or similar that "appear" to have much less recoil / more accurate???

Many thanks for the link / pics by the way incredibly useful!!!

Basically there are a lot of HW35's out there, a million made or something. Sometimes I think its the AK of the airgun world. I think you can still buy a new one.
    They are worth between £80-360 or whatever the new price is! One that works as it should and in excellent condition is, for its shooting ability, at least a £200 plus gun. £80 for one that works is just a bargain as a shooter. So really whatever people are prepared to pay and condition, the colour of the woodwork, bluing, ware and power all add to what its worth. There were small changes over the years which some collectors are willing to pay a premium on. Don't ask me though as I have just one.

Without a picture we can but only guess.

Pre load does vary from '35 to '35. For example, a Vixen usually has a fair amount that needs some body weight and caution when undoing the back block were as a '35 with a leather washer, in .22 that I tuned has no pre load whatsoever. Just undo with caution.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Just undo with caution.
    In other words not with that end pointing at the patio doors

Quote Originally Posted by rottenshot View Post
    In other words not with that end pointing at the patio doors
    Keep some body-weight over the back block as you unscrew it (it's a fairly long thread), and it shouldn't surprise you too much.

There are some guns that require a spring compressor arangement, but a standard HW35 should be OK.

When re-assembling, that thread at the end of the cylinder is very sharp. So take care when you're pushing the piston back in... I lost a fair slice of finger flesh doing that once... and a fair amount of blood!