Thread: Anyone here shoot one of the Ardesa .50cal mini-cannons?

Anyone here shoot one of the Ardesa .50cal mini-cannons?

Howdy folks

I've got a slot for a .50 cal cannon and I fancy one of the nice little Ardesa jobbies from Mr Krank at Pudsey. I've seen them in the shop and pretty much know what to expect - it's just a pistol barrel on a carriage after all. Would love the .69 Napoleon one but I'd never get the barrel in my safe
    Anyway, does anyone here actually shoot one of the .50 cal minis?
    Could do with knowing about ball and patch sizes, recommended loads for black powder etc.

Thanks!
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post
    Howdy folks

I've got a slot for a .50 cal cannon and I fancy one of the nice little Ardesa jobbies from Mr Krank at Pudsey. I've seen them in the shop and pretty much know what to expect - it's just a pistol barrel on a carriage after all. Would love the .69 Napoleon one but I'd never get the barrel in my safe
    Anyway, does anyone here actually shoot one of the .50 cal minis?
    Could do with knowing about ball and patch sizes, recommended loads for black powder etc.

Thanks!
    Not fired one here in UK where they are classed as a weapon of mass destruction, but I've fired one plenty of times over in the Free world. 30gr of FFg and a tissue paper patch/wad makes a nice commotion and is surprisingly accurate - we usually hit the 4ftx4ft target with every shot at 25 yards. Even if we miss the berm, it doesn't matter, since the guy on whose land we shoot owns the next mountain over as well.

Remember that although it's small, it is STILL a real cannon, and real cannon didn't use patches - just wads. It goes off just like any other .50cal short-barrelled firearm - the recoil is specatcular - look on Youtube and you'll see what I mean.

If you are thinking about shooting Miniés in it, please don't. A .50cal Minié ball needs around 50-60gr to make it work without going sideways, and a load like that in this teeny gun will have you searching the undergrowth behind the shooting-line for ages before you find the thing. The cannon, I mean, not the shot.

tac
    God Jul!
    Last edited by tacfoley; 17-12-2014 at 02:42 PM.

I've only shot the .50 pistol version with 75grn fffg BP + RB.
    Recoil is noticable,quite loud indoors,didn't find the accuracy very consistent though at 20m.