Thread: bsa info and value please

bsa info and value please

Any info and value on this old bsa please http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/de...und/slideshow/

edbear2 Guest
    Now THATS what you call a sleeper!

According to the serial number and overall look, It looks to be a complete 3rd batch BSA rifle made May/July 1906, dispatched May 1906-March 1907.

Nice retailers mark on the stock, and nice to see some red paint instead of white

The tap is a shame but can be fixed by someone who is careful with heat, otherwise it looks all there except for something funny on the cocking lever, ie. 2 holes

It could be improved with wool and oil, and stripping and checking...don't attempt to fire before you have had a check inside. The trigger guard screws look untouched for yonks, so penetrating oil here, and at the breech block join (careful..avoid the woodwork) would help before you get the driver on it.

Value is a tough one, the stock if cleaned / oiled and crack free has a decent value alone (£50-70) and obviously it is worth more in bits as first pattern sights like this fit the model B and the Lincoln and would fetch £40-50 on a good day, so as a breaker maybe £140, as a complete gun must be the same, but not a huge amount more due to condition and cocking lever issue / tap repair risk (it may let go, not the end of the world but more time expense).

As usual just my opinion!.... Despite its looks, it could be a fine shooting accurate gun, so if mine I would get it going and test it as I bought a not quite so rusty but neglected little used example a while back, and it is the most accurate hard hitting example I have ever owned

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

According to the serial number and overall look, It looks to be a complete 3rd batch BSA rifle made May/July 1906, dispatched May 1906-March 1907.

Nice retailers mark on the stock, and nice to see some red paint instead of white

The tap is a shame but can be fixed by someone who is careful with heat, otherwise it looks all there except for something funny on the cocking lever, ie. 2 holes

It could be improved with wool and oil, and stripping and checking...don't attempt to fire before you have had a check inside. The trigger guard screws look untouched for yonks, so penetrating oil here, and at the breech block join (careful..avoid the woodwork) would help before you get the driver on it.

Value is a tough one, the stock if cleaned / oiled and crack free has a decent value alone (£50-70) and obviously it is worth more in bits as first pattern sights like this fit the model B and the Lincoln and would fetch £40-50 on a good day, so as a breaker maybe £140, as a complete gun must be the same, but not a huge amount more due to condition and cocking lever issue / tap repair risk (it may let go, not the end of the world but more time expense).

As usual just my opinion!.... Despite its looks, it could be a fine shooting accurate gun, so if mine I would get it going and test it as I bought a not quite so rusty but neglected little used example a while back, and it is the most accurate hard hitting example I have ever owned

ATB, Ed

Value is a tough one, the stock alone (if carefully cleaned / oiled and crack free) has a decent value alone (£50-70) and obviously it is worth more in bits as first pattern sights like this fit the model B and the Lincoln and would fetch £40-50 on a good day, so as a breaker maybe £120-140, as a complete gun must be the same, but not a huge amount more due to condition and cocking lever issue / tap repair risk (it may let go, not the end of the world but more time expense).

Nice local gun too!!!

ATB, Ed

What he said twice

That is beautiful.
    Are you buying, selling or just wondering?

bsa

Quote Originally Posted by NeilnrLincoln View Post
    That is beautiful.
    Are you buying, selling or just wondering?
    It is beautiful and has nice stamp on action made by the birmingham small arms compananny limited and above bsa air rifle as you bsa fans probabley know .I think it will go up for sale .I will charge the camera battery up and get some more pics.dont know why thers a red dot on pics as its not on thhe stock .i dont want it be broken up but want a bsa collector to restore it .

ATB, Ed
    Thank you for all the great info , its older than i thought . ther are more i will get pics asap

Looks like the end of the cocking link has been modified which could account for the two holes in the lever. The rear hole should be the original one. atb
    dogsbody

One I sold recently for £140 to gingernut was as shown below..

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 19-12-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD