Thread: Hodgdon H4895 in .223 Rem & 6.5 x 55 swede

Hodgdon H4895 in .223 Rem & 6.5 x 55 swede

I am just getting started in reloading and so far have only loaded the .22 hornet with the load data that came with the rifle with good results (thanks Tank )

I have now got the kit together to load my .223 Rem and 6.5 x 55 swede, the .223 will primarily be for target work with 52 gr SMKs / A-max with the odd fox / long range rabbit. I would like to develop 2 loads for the 6.5, a 140 grain SP for deer and 142gr HPBT for target work.

I realise they are very different cartridges and therefore ideally require different powder burn rates but if I can use one powder for both I can get loading the 6.5 quicker and from a safety point of view there is no chance of mixing powders when loading, plus there is a good supply locally.

I was initially looking at H335 for the .223 but looking at the data on the Hodgdon site H4895 will give similar velocities for the .223.

If anyone has experience with similar loads or load both these calibres with the same powder I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

Thanks
    Thanks for looking

Talking

H4895 isn't a good match for either of your applications. You will run out of case capacity before obtaining decent 223 performance, and low load density and high pressure in the 6.5 before getting a decent velocity. It could be OK with heavy 223, or very light 6.5mm bullets though.
    You will be able to make ammo that goes bang and could very well be accurate, as I'm sure someone will attest to shortly, but velocities will be lower than desirable.
    Last edited by Guesty; 18-12-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: P.S. I have no idea why there's a smiley on this post.

Probably obvious but why not get reloading manuals for them ?

I've just got "the complete reloading manual for the .22 Hornet" which is the details from 11 manufacturer manuals for the one cartridge, listed both by bullets & by powders, so if you got both you could compare who recommends what.

Well I have the Lyman reloading manual and I've also looked at the Hodgdon online manual and the Viht manual. Someone on SD has mentioned they have had good success with IMR 4895 in their 0.223 which is interesting as the accuracy load in the Lyman manual for the 140gr HPBT SMKs is with the same powder so it seems this may be a better shared powder.

The trouble is I think that the powder will be a compromise between something that's too fast for the 6.5 and too slow for the 0.223, I'm losing about 120-200 fps per cartridge compared to the powders I was going to use (H335 & N160) so perhaps I should just get loading the .223 for now and then start on the 6.5 once the expense of Christmas is a couple of months behind me.

Just would have been nice to use one powder for both!
    Thanks for looking

The honest truth is your not going to get 2 powders that work in this situation mate. H4895 will be great in the 223 but not in the x55! In the x55 you'll need something like ramshot hunter mate

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Well I have the Lyman reloading manual and I've also looked at the Hodgdon online manual and the Viht manual. Someone on SD has mentioned they have had good success with IMR 4895 in their 0.223 which is interesting as the accuracy load in the Lyman manual for the 140gr HPBT SMKs is with the same powder so it seems this may be a better shared powder.

The trouble is I think that the powder will be a compromise between something that's too fast for the 6.5 and too slow for the 0.223, I'm losing about 120-200 fps per cartridge compared to the powders I was going to use (H335 & N160) so perhaps I should just get loading the .223 for now and then start on the 6.5 once the expense of Christmas is a couple of months behind me.

Just would have been nice to use one powder for both!
    VV160 or 165 are very good in the Swede. I use a'stiffish' load of160 with 123 gn bullets.I've been tinkering with Rel 17/Elcho 17 for 139 gn,as well. That's not too bad. It depends a bit on bullet weight, the 2 popular weights--123 and 139/140 demand slightly different approaches. I won't give powder weights here, I'm never happy giving these since I don't know your rifle. Or, with respect, your skill level at reloading.As to the 223, well, anything fast for light bullets, moving to Rel 15/VV140 etc for heavier bullets.
    We're you to buy any of the powders that come in 'pounds' and not kilos, you can buy 2 different powders an little or no more cost than one. That would mean that Viht powders would be ruled out, but there's loads of , equally, excellent stuff about.
    ATB
    David

Scott if you want to minimise time at the reloading bench then use something like ramshot tac in the 223 and hunter in the x55. These powders throw so accurately you honestly don't need to weigh each charge. When making my csr loads I now just weigh every 20 and it's still within a couple of hundredths of a grain. I can easily load 200 223 in 45 mins.

Thanks all for the input.

Taz, no worries on the guarded info I am very new to loading and I am aware of this sow loading very slowly and carefully and checking everything twice, including the fired cartridges. Plus Danny is on hand if I have any queries . My plan originally was to load the .22H, then 0.223 then the 6.5 so I think I'll stick with that and hold off on the 6.5 and concentrate on developing a target and fox load for the 0.223 for a couple of months. Will lay off the target with the 6.5 and if I'm lucky i may take 1 - 2 deer over the next 3-4 months so won't need loads of ammo

Danny, Juts looked, though I have good supplies of Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant and Viht locally the ramshot powders are very sparse so looks like it will be Viht in the 6.5 and Hodgdon / IMR for the .223.

Will take me a while any way, it currently takes me 90 minutes to load 50 .22H rounds
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Probably obvious but why not get reloading manuals for them ?

I've just got "the complete reloading manual for the .22 Hornet" which is the details from 11 manufacturer manuals for the one cartridge, listed both by bullets & by powders, so if you got both you could compare who recommends what.
    angrybear - "the complete reloading manual for the .22 Hornet". Is that actually a manual or something you have compiled yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    angrybear - "the complete reloading manual for the .22 Hornet". Is that actually a manual or something you have compiled yourself?
    It's a proper booklet, Item no 290847934549 from the USA.

At my last visit to Norman clark's store he had a carousel display of dozens of 'The Complete Reloading Manual for XXXXXXX'. Each is a one-calibre handbook showing all readily available bullet and powder variations, but as they are produced in the USA, don't expect to find non-US-made powder mentioned in them.

tac

4895 in 223 Rem and 6.5 Swedish Mauser

My Lyman reloading book, 46th edition has multiple 4895 loads for both 223 Rem and the 6.5 Swede. For the Swede 100gn/120/129/140/160 FMJ with MV up to 2700fps with the 129gn FMJ
    Rem 223 40gn to 63gn FMJ with MV up to 3000+.
    This is a 1987 book....seems odd how some loads seem to drop out of fashion/use. Possibly the powder has been altered since 1987? In 1987 the 4895 was clearly recommended by Lyman for both cartridges.

amc577