Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on pellets and next air gum

Advice on pellets and next air gum

Hello everybody, this is my first post/thread.

I just wanted to ask for some information on a couple things. I have recently bought a Gamo C15 pistol and I have been using it to fire round head pellets, however I would like to be able to use some pointed pellets in this if I could. I tried some pellets in the shop but they wouldn't fit into the mag properly. Are there any brands of pellets or specific pellets out there that are pointed and quite short in length therefore able to fit into pistol mags?

Secondly I am planning on getting an air rifle soon also and I stumbled upon the Umarex Morph 3x, it is a pistol that can be changed to a rifle. It looks pretty good to me and its on the end border of my budget. Does anyone know whether this gun is any good and if there are any better alternatives?

Thanks

Hello mate welcome to the site..

You will most likely have an issue when trying all pointed pellets in those and other type rotary magazines, those magazines only really like Flat head and domed pellets and most prefer the flat heads.. I use RWS C02 target pellets in my beretta 92fs with a rotary magazine..

May i ask why you want to use pointed pellets? im guessing for penetration?

As for the umarex morph 3x, i have had one of those, and i enjoyed it, read my little review it might help you..

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ex-Morph-3x%29

All the best, marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by camero786 View Post
    I have recently bought a Gamo C15 pistol and I have been using it to fire round head pellets, however I would like to be able to use some pointed pellets in this if I could.
    Hi,

I really wouldn't bother with pointed pellets. Stick with r/n (domed) - or wadcutters if you want to make neat holes in paper. Same goes with the new rifle when you get it...

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the review link, I'll check it out now, but yes I'm wanting to use pointed pellets for extra penetration. Just as a experiment I used a wire cutter to deform the round head of the pellet into somewhat of a point, and it fired fine, so I concluded it was the length of the pellet that was causing issues with using pointed ones, just wondered if any out there would work.

Does anyone have any other decent lightweight rifles that would shoot a pellett at good speed and accuracy?

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the review link, I'll check it out now, but yes I'm wanting to use pointed pellets for extra penetration. Just as a experiment I used a wire cutter to deform the round head of the pellet into somewhat of a point, and it fired fine, so I concluded it was the length of the pellet that was causing issues with using pointed ones, just wondered if any out there would work.

Does anyone have any other decent lightweight rifles that would shoot a pellett at good speed and accuracy?
    Hate to ruin that rosy-coloured view of yours, but you may well find that pointed pellets don't penetrate as well as domed and almost certainly won't be as accurate. Please tell me that this isn't all leading to you wanting to take a pop at live quarry with your pistol. If it is - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING IT.....

OP is obviously just getting into airgunning, (and Im assuming is on the lower end of the age scale of BBS members! ). It sounds as though he is wanting to have a bit of fun and experiment with his new toys - leave him be - we've all done it.. pellets in backward, 2 pellets in, pellets with a match head glued on lol.. just daft stuff.. dont presume he wants to go out and become a negative statistic.

I think the best advice here is to find a club near you and get yourself down and introduce yourself as a new shooter.. you'll be well taken care of mate.

good luck and welcome to the forum
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    OP is obviously just getting into airgunning, (and Im assuming is on the lower end of the age scale of BBS members! ). It sounds as though he is wanting to have a bit of fun and experiment with his new toys - leave him be - we've all done it.. pellets in backward, 2 pellets in, pellets with a match head glued on lol.. just daft stuff.. dont presume he wants to go out and become a negative statistic.

I think the best advice here is to find a club near you and get yourself down and introduce yourself as a new shooter.. you'll be well taken care of mate.

good luck and welcome to the forum
    I do hope you're right, but I've heard this sort of thing so many times from young novice shooters and sometimes it is a prelude bad things and just one negative statistic is one too many...

The best advice I can give you is, see if there is a local airgun/shooting club, and join it.

I must admit I thought the same when I saw a request for pointed pellets in a pistol ... maybe for hunting? Why would you want pointed pellets in a pistol? Why do you want extra penetration from a pistol?

perhaps he wants to puncture beans cans? Perhaps he thinks pointed pellets will go through easier?
    Give the lad a chance.. I think you are both being a bit too judgmental here.

Camero, it looks to me that you like the realistic/futuristic kind of thing - your pistol being a blowback, and on the cheaper end of the scale. Unfortunately, a lot of shooting clubs might frown upon you if you turn up with just that in your bag - thats just the way it is - airgun clubs tend to have a contingent of shooters who are focussed more on punching paper than having pure plinking fun. I suggest you check out the Umarex Boys Club Forum which caters more for what you seem to be into.

Just had a look at the Umarex Morph - with a price tag of about 130 you could pick up a nice second hand quality rifle which will provide much more power and accuracy.

you really need some first hand advice and try some rifles at a club.
    Donald

I'm just after a bit of fun guys not mischief. I realize now how it must have sounded asking about pointed pellets in a pistol but I assure you I am not planning anything bad.

Could I get some names of those air rifles you mentioned? I'm thinking of trying my hand at some .22 calibre rifles but I dont like the aspect of reloading a bullet after every shot so I'm trying to find some semi auto c02 rifles.

the only semi auto I can think of off the top of my head is the beretta cx4 storm.. I think theres a clone of it thats cheaper though.
    plenty of semi auto pistols though.. I cant help you there - not my bag.

Im one of the guys that likes loading single pellets one at a time!
    Donald

After doing continuous research I think the single shot spring powered rifles aren't as bad as I originally thought

If anyone knows any good cheap rile model (0-£100)
    that will shoot .22 pellets at a good power with good accuracy please let me know.

get yourself to a club and make some friends and have a go with a few guns. In the meantime, get reading and posting on this forum - youll soon have access to the sales section, once you have made enough meaningful posts. Then you can browse what people are selling and decide how much you need to spend for what it is you want.
    Donald

After doing continuous research I think the single shot spring powered rifles aren't as bad as I originally thought
    Nothing wrong with single-shot springers - been using them for more than 40 years. I've always used my rifles for hunting and never once felt handicapped having to load one pellet at a time, it makes you think before taking the shot and - for me - is a big part of the charm and challenge of airgunning. There are loads of air rifles both new and s/h for around £100 - just do a web search, you should be able to find new guns from Gamo, Hatsan and SMK (to name just three) that fit the bill. If you only intend to use it for plinking and not hunting, you might well find something cheaper...
    Last edited by rabbitwrecker; 22-12-2014 at 02:52 AM.