Thread: Nikko Sterling Mountmaster 6x40 ao

Nikko Sterling Mountmaster 6x40 ao

Does anyone use the above scope? I know they are 'budget', but just wondered if they were worth a punt at around forty quid new? With fixed power, and less glass inside, I was hoping the sight picture might be better than the zoom versions.

Thanks Mike

I have been genuinely surprised at the quality of all the Mountmasters I've looked through and believe that they represent excellent value for money.

Go right ahead!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have owned a 6x40 AO mountmaster and it was very good for the money. I have since bought a 4x12x50 and quite frankly it was virtually unusable. Nikko Stirling quality is very hit and miss at the moment and it seems random wether you will get a good one or not!
    I bought mine from Uttings and when I phoned them about the poor quality I was told that I was expecting too much for a budget scope! I expected to be able to see through it and have it able to focus with some clarity, it was like a fish eye lense!
    Get a good one though, and they are cracking value.....

Good luck!
    Mark
    Laminate stock HW100KT .177, HW100KT .22, HW95K luxus .22, BSA Meteor Mk3 .22, SMK Mod 12 .177, MAS 0.07 .177 BB CO2, Gamo P-23 CO2

Nikko Sterling mountmaster

I have a 3-9 x 40 Mountmaster and would not recommend it. I am on the second scope in 18 months (1st one replaced under warranty ). With both scopes the windage adjustment could only be moved with pliers after 9 months and 13 for the present one and when they did adjust it took 15 to 20 shots before scope caught up.
    The clarity is not bad for the price, but the accuracy is just not good enough. Have tested gun with another scope and changed the moderator to prove the Mountmaster is at fault.
    The scope sits on very heavy recoiling springer, which may be part of the problem.
    I am going to put one of the cheaper Bushnell scopes on next and hope for some improvement.

regards

golf224

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Anyone else tried one?

Mike

I've had a couple of these and for the money I can't fault them.
    To be honest though if you Evilbay it you can get a 3-9X40PX adjustable Nikko for about the same money.
    I think Nikko scopes are very reasonable.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Bought a 6x40 AO of these as a plinking scope the other day. As other people have said they are surprisingly good for the money and would have no issues recommending one. A lot brighter than I imagined at this magnification.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

The point of aim moves on my 3-9x50 when you adjust the AO. Zero at 15m and then shoot at 35m, adjusting the AO accordingly, and the pellet will hit 3/4" to the right of your aim point :-( It's in the bin now.

Buy cheap, buy twice in my case.

Peter

Had a few Nikko sterling scopes all good no issues , good value looked at Smdich and bender etc ( sorry for spelling)but parallax almost always set at fire arms distance so blurry at air gun ranges ?
    Nikko Stirling cheap but not so cheerful?

I ran a 6x40AO Mountmaster on one of my hunting springers for over a year without any issues.

It held zero and just got on with things over many field trips and almost 4 tins of pellets.

I was pretty impressed with it overall.

Granted you don't get great low light performance but as a dayscope it is an ideal magnification, the AO worked as it should and there are multiple aim points if you need them.

Ticks a lot of boxes IMHO

If you assume £45 for a fixed mag and £45 for a zoom scope I would expect some of that budget to be going on 'stuff' (zoom) rather than lenses.

I could use fixed mag scopes exclusively without any problems - in fact I do on many of my guns, albeit a bit further up the food chain to the Mountmaster range.

Anyhoo, mine was fine and did very well under some pretty challenging field conditions doing clearance shooting. I have had less luck playing with the variable mag models though...

In the end of you buy one and it has a fault which, let's face it, can happen with any brand at any price point, it goes back for replacement or refund.

Good luck !

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Taran View Post

If you assume £45 for a fixed mag and £45 for a zoom scope I would expect some of that budget to be going on 'stuff' (zoom) rather than lenses.
    i think that's a very good point ! Also much less to go wrong.

Owned a number of Nikko Stirling scopes in the past - though not the Mountmaster 6x40 AO specifically. Never had a problem with any of them. Did have a Platinum 6x45 - one of the best scopes that I've ever owned...

With all these cheaper scopes I think it's the luck of the draw,so as to speak,if you get a good one they okay especially under normal lighting conditions(daylight ) but don't expect the same performance under poor light.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 2 View Post
    With all these cheaper scopes I think it's the luck of the draw,so as to speak,if you get a good one they okay especially under normal lighting conditions(daylight ) but don't expect the same performance under poor light.
    I think you make a good point Patrick. if you are going to compare it with a high end Bushnell or Nikon I think its fair to say you are going to be a little disappointed but what you have to remember is that these scopes are over 10 times the price. I must admit when I first started inspecting the scope my first thoughts were, the lens covers looked a little cheap and the turret covers did not exactly screw on that smoothly. This said I had to take a step back and remind myself what I paid.

At the end of the day its all about being realistic and comparing like with like. Its a sobering thought that many high end scopes would depreciate more in value each year than a cheap scope costs to buy outright. This said I do love my Nikons

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

It doesn't matter what price range the scope falls in to, it's all down to whether or not it suits your eye .
    Look through it & if it suits you buy it.