Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which C02 pistol should I buy, recommendations please.

I was having exactly this dilemma few months back and went for the CP88 6" in Nickel. I've only spent limited time with it as strictly speaking it's an xmas pressie from my wife, but I can honestly say I'm delighted with it. The quality of build and finish are second to none.

The other pistol I nearly went for was the Umarex Colt 1911 CQB. It's available in both black and desert sand. The reason I didn't go for it in the end was that as BB it lacked any real accuracy so would only be good for a bit of fun as opposed to actually hitting the things smaller than tin cans. Also on the examples I saw in shops the paint was already coming off, particularly on the triggers which I found quite shocking but seems to be a bit of a theme with some BB guns.

as a post script, I should add that I've since been out and bought a mini UZI so I've also got something when all I want is a bit of a blast, so it really depends what you want from the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Im leaning towards the Umarex Walther cp88 or the Umarex Colt 1911 ?
    The cp88 in two action lengths. Any advantage between them ? Ive trawled you tube , but would like opinions from you guys who actually own them , rather than just reviews. Cheers again.
    I have both a CP88 4" and 1911 (Umarex). The CP88 is much "fatter" in the grip, especially if you slap on some walnut grips and the balance is far more to the rear than the 1911. I tend to prefer the 1911. Mind you, mine has been tricked out a bit.

Hmmm, I really like the look of the umarex cp competition in nickel .It is on the short list along side the Colt 1911. I guess the only way im ever going to know is by looking at a couple. I should be near Essex airguns on Sunday, so will call in and have a look

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Hi all, im new to the world of C02 pistols and really would like your recommendations as to what to buy. The choice is mind boggling. I like the idea of a"blow back" pistol, and I like drop in mags. Im not so keen on bbs, prefering pellets. I would also like to add extras, ie a silencer , red dot maybe.
    The budget dosnt really matter, just want a real quality pistol, with massive fun factor and good accuracy to match.
    What do you recommend. Cheers
    Just read through your original post again. I don't think there's one pistol that really matches what you want, but in narrowing it down to the 1911 or CP88 you've got a choise between "Massive fun factor" with the 1911, and "good accuracy" with the CP88. When you get into Essex guns ask to use a blow back with the CO2 in it to feel the action in your hands. If it puts a big grin on your face buy a blow back. you also say budget doesn't matter, in which case have both mate...Why not.

Do not buy a Cybergun Sig - they are tripe.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Just read through your original post again. I don't think there's one pistol that really matches what you want, but in narrowing it down to the 1911 or CP88 you've got a choise between "Massive fun factor" with the 1911, and "good accuracy" with the CP88. When you get into Essex guns ask to use a blow back with the CO2 in it to feel the action in your hands. If it puts a big grin on your face buy a blow back. you also say budget doesn't matter, in which case have both mate...Why not.
    Good quote Boaz lol

just remember the only real good quality guns are the walther cp range and the umerex range of pistol, the majority of bb pistols ie witness, swiss arms, blowback etc all all cheap and poor quality castings, they work but nowere as good as a good quality pistol

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Only considers replicas but very informative nonetheless.

As mentioned before the Crosman 600 is worthy of consideration. The finest CO2 pistol ever made imho.

I've got two amongst my other 60+ rifles and pistols. I use them all but prior to a start or at the end of a session I invariably end up loosing off 10 quick firing rounds from one of the 600s - marvellous fun. You can pick up a decent example for about £250 and they are worth every penny.
    Last edited by PaulR; 21-12-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Only considers replicas but very informative nonetheless.

As mentioned before the Crosman 600 is worthy of consideration. The finest CO2 pistol ever made imho.

I've got two amongst my other 60+ rifles and pistols. I use them all but prior to a start or at the end of a session I invariably end up loosing off 10 quick firing rounds from one of the 600s - marvellous fun. You can pick up a decent example for about £250 and they are worth every penny.
    I have only seen one crossman 600 for sale, and it didnt hang around for long !

I've also been thinking about treating myself to a pistol in the new year; I have a couple of airsoft gas powered 6.5mm bb 1911 hi cappas and an old knackered barretta pellet gun which is about done in.
    I've been looking at the Remmington 1911 blowback pellet co2, and also the Dan Wesson 6' revolver with the dummy shells that you load into the cylinder, also as pellet (you can also get 4.5 mm metal bb versions) which both look like fun. I can't decide which to go for though; I do like a 1911and the remmington seems a good shooter and also does the 'slide lock after last shot', whereas the revolver looks like fun and faff in equal measure, but does come with a scope rail for adding optics.
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

I've had a Umarex Walther Nighthawk for a few years now, basically a P99 but with a red dot sight and a silencer (for show). Pretty decent gun and enjoyable plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by boozybloke View Post
    I've also been thinking about treating myself to a pistol in the new year; I have a couple of airsoft gas powered 6.5mm bb 1911 hi cappas and an old knackered barretta pellet gun which is about done in.
    I've been looking at the Remmington 1911 blowback pellet co2, and also the Dan Wesson 6' revolver with the dummy shells that you load into the cylinder, also as pellet (you can also get 4.5 mm metal bb versions) which both look like fun. I can't decide which to go for though; I do like a 1911and the remmington seems a good shooter and also does the 'slide lock after last shot', whereas the revolver looks like fun and faff in equal measure, but does come with a scope rail for adding optics.
    forget the d/w and get the colt python much better build and quality same system without the flaws of the d/w

Quote Originally Posted by bigjob View Post
    forget the d/w and get the colt python much better build and quality same system without the flaws of the d/w
    I had looked at that; the python is just a licensed version of the umarex one, but they don't do it in a pellet version only bb, so smooth bore instead of rifled, plus you have the option of adding optics with the d/w. What flaws do you mean particularly, other than the chamber not quite giving enough clearance to use the speed loader properly?
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

I'll give a second vote for the nighthawk, i just got one and it is great fun with all the bits you can pop on and off, the mock silencer acts like a compressor and can be unscrewed from the end of the barrel so if you want the bond look you can drop all the toys and the rail and just have the silencer. The one i have is a crossman and not a umarex. Any info on this would be cool as I have only ever seen the latter.

For my money the best co2 pistol you can get (in terms of ticking the most boxes) has to be the Umarex S&W 586 in 6 inch guise. 1/2 inch groups at 10 yards once you master it with good power, operational realism (unlike the Umarex autos) and very good build quality. Definitely accurate enough to shoot targets and not just plink with. The only reason not to get one would be if you're absolutely set against the revolver look/feel.