Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which C02 pistol should I buy, recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by boozybloke View Post
    I had looked at that; the python is just a licensed version of the umarex one, but they don't do it in a pellet version only bb, so smooth bore instead of rifled, plus you have the option of adding optics with the d/w. What flaws do you mean particularly, other than the chamber not quite giving enough clearance to use the speed loader properly?
    Trust me bigjob knows all about both of the revolvers, he has worked on many being a gunsmith, i own the dan wesson and will be selling it or part exchanging it for the colt python after christmas.

I have been lucky and not had any issues with my dan wesson, but i have been lucky, the flaws with the dan wesson are low quality internal parts, like the pawl, and trigger and hammer mechanisms, also the 6'' and 8'' versions have sometimes get loose outta barrels..

Check out some of bigjobs work on the colt pythons http://blackdogpistols.com/custom-pistols/colt-python/
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Trust me bigjob knows all about both of the revolvers, he has worked on many being a gunsmith, i own the dan wesson and will be selling it or part exchanging it for the colt python after christmas.

I have been lucky and not had any issues with my dan wesson, but i have been lucky, the flaws with the dan wesson are low quality internal parts, like the pawl, and trigger and hammer mechanisms, also the 6'' and 8'' versions have sometimes get loose outta barrels..

Check out some of bigjobs work on the colt pythons http://blackdogpistols.com/custom-pistols/colt-python/
    Ah, well now I'm glad I bought it up, as I was all but sold on the d/w. Will definitely have another look at the colt then. Ta for head's up
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Ah, well now I'm glad I bought it up, as I was all but sold on the d/w. Will definitely have another look at the colt then. Ta for head's up
    The Dan Wesson's are fine, I have an 8" which is 5 years old and a 2.5" which is a couple of years old, not had a single problem with either. The Python is undoubtedly a good gun as well.

Check them both out and go with what you prefer. Remember that at this price point there is little difference in quality, once the Python has been around for a while there will likely be lots of reports of problems as well.

Many people go on about the quality of the Umarex pellet shooters but I'll bet that if you could count all of the pistol problems reported on here they would be at the top of the list.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Many people go on about the quality of the Umarex pellet shooters but I'll bet that if you could count all of the pistol problems reported on here they would be at the top of the list.
    Purely based on casual observation of this forum, I'd probably suggest that the Tanfoglio 1911 and its clones are the No.1 candidate for that particular award.

However having said that, at least people are using them to actually break them... If the gun is crap, it gets slung in a draw somewhere and is unlikely to go wrong cos' it ain't getting used...

the witness is the worst by far! jams misfires etc and wear, most of the problems occur because guys dont know how to fix or strip and send them back to shop etc/ the d/w has terrible indexing problems due to pawl wear,if you look after them and lube them its not as bad but still can be a problem umerex products do suffer from indexing problems and gas leaks, but nowhere near the witness or d/w problems, havent had many probs with the colt python apart from sloppy revolving mag and swing arm problems plus the plastic grips are terrible, the least problematic pistol funny enough is the crossman 2240 at around £80 new hardly have any probs but it is very basic!

Well I've been looking again at the python in a bit more depth and I'm starting to think that one may be the one for me after all. Couple of questions for bigjob; is there much advantage to be gained from the pellet conversion you do? Also is it possible to fit an optics rail on the gun?
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Ooh err, Having started this thread, im now beginning to wonder if im better off just sticking with my Hw 75 and my Benjamin Eb 20 pistol. Iive been looking at the Crosman .22 pump up. Had one years ago and it was a good gun. And the 2240 looks good, with loads of customising parts out there

Well I've been looking again at the python in a bit more depth and I'm starting to think that one may be the one for me after all. Couple of questions for bigjob; is there much advantage to be gained from the pellet conversion you do? Also is it possible to fit an optics rail on the gun?
    hi ive just done a 8" one scratch built front end rifled barrel, wood grips etc the accuracy on this is pretty good , i reccomend anyone to get pellet versions whether mine or factory rather than smoothbore bb versions you wont regret it and yes you could fit a scope rail on it as well

Quote Originally Posted by bigjob View Post
    hi ive just done a 8" one scratch built front end rifled barrel, wood grips etc the accuracy on this is pretty good , i reccomend anyone to get pellet versions whether mine or factory rather than smoothbore bb versions you wont regret it and yes you could fit a scope rail on it as well
    Cool. What sort of cost for just the pellet conversion and scope rail? I take it that includes modding the shells to take pellets as well? If so, how much extra for additional shells? Pm me answer if you prefer not posting it up

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Ooh err, Having started this thread, im now beginning to wonder if im better off just sticking with my Hw 75 and my Benjamin Eb 20 pistol. Iive been looking at the Crosman .22 pump up. Had one years ago and it was a good gun. And the 2240 looks good, with loads of customising parts out there
    They are excellent, and customizing is fun (But it can get pricey). For what you pay, the 2240 is an excellent gun out of the box (well horrible plastic vacformed thing). It looks a little cheap in places but a nice pair of grips, a steel breach and a little work on the internals will give you an excellent little pistol for about £135.

My Xmas holiday project has been a 2250. Converted to a 10-shot, scope, silencer and accessory rails added and I am just finishing off oiling the stock. I don't want to add up the cost so far, but so far it is an excellent little gun.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Do not get put of by peoples comments mate, get yourself a pistol, you will like it.

No matter what you say your thinking of buying, some people will tell you they are good and others will tell you they are bad, lol thats just life, and happens with everything on the planet.

Trust us few, if you buy a umarex beretta 92fs, umarex colt 1911A1, Umarex CP88 or a Umarex S&W 686, you would love them and they wil give you many years of fun, if you buy them new from a shop you will also get a long warranty most shops give them 2 years..

But if pellet blowback is what your after, go for a px4 storm or even the gamo PT85 Tactical, a very underated pistol..

I will throw these two pistols in the mix for you to have a look at, i know you said you do not really want a BB pistol because of rebounds, but have a look at the umarex beretta 84fs and the umarex makarov ultra, these are Blowback BB pistols but their magazines will let you shoot lead BB's with no issues, so your get blowback and a full drop out magazine and no more rebounds then you would get from a pellet..

Really do not be put off by people blasting you with bad comments about certain pistols.
    All the best, marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    They are excellent, and customizing is fun (But it can get pricey). For what you pay, the 2240 is an excellent gun out of the box (well horrible plastic vacformed thing). It looks a little cheap in places but a nice pair of grips, a steel breach and a little work on the internals will give you an excellent little pistol for about £135.

My Xmas holiday project has been a 2250. Converted to a 10-shot, scope, silencer and accessory rails added and I am just finishing off oiling the stock. I don't want to add up the cost so far, but so far it is an excellent little gun.
    Your 2250 sounds awsome.!

Do not get put of by peoples comments mate, get yourself a pistol, you will like it.

No matter what you say your thinking of buying, some people will tell you they are good and others will tell you they are bad, lol thats just life, and happens with everything on the planet.

Trust us few, if you buy a umarex beretta 92fs, umarex colt 1911A1, Umarex CP88 or a Umarex S&W 686, you would love them and they wil give you many years of fun, if you buy them new from a shop you will also get a long warranty most shops give them 2 years..

But if pellet blowback is what your after, go for a px4 storm or even the gamo PT85 Tactical, a very underated pistol..

I will throw these two pistols in the mix for you to have a look at, i know you said you do not really want a BB pistol because of rebounds, but have a look at the umarex beretta 84fs and the umarex makarov ultra, these are Blowback BB pistols but their magazines will let you shoot lead BB's with no issues, so your get blowback and a full drop out magazine and no more rebounds then you would get from a pellet..

Really do not be put off by people blasting you with bad comments about certain pistols.
    All the best, marc..
    Marc, Thanks for your sound advice, ive trawelled you tube and the internet and there is good and bad. The umarex nickel 6" competition was the pistol that really caught my eye in the first place.I know that if I see one in the flesh its likely to be coming home with me. Ive got serious accuracy with my Hw75, raw power with my Benjamin Eb20.Just leaves a space for a rapid shooting funster.Simon

have a look at the mac not a blowback but well built easy to strip and repair etc you will always get your money back with most pistols if you buy second hand, apart from blowback witness python and d/w there cheap enough to buy new around £100 you sell em for around £80 plus! only lose money if you buy a new umerex smith 1911 or berretta etc as the retail is crazy on these new,

All the best, marc..
    The ASG CZ P-09 is also a very good pellet blowback. Mine has gone through three tins of pellets so far without a hitch, so treat "poor" reviews with caution. Of course, there is also the mighty Desert Eagle