Thread: Webley Ranger/Erma ELG 10 performance tuning

Webley Ranger/Erma ELG 10 performance tuning

Has anyone any experience or information to share with regard to sensible improvements to this
    very good looking rifle. It's not been cocked or fired by me yet due to catastrophic failure with a previous owner.
    Close to being reassembled after repair it occurs to me that now is a good time to seek advice from the experts.
    So what information would be useful for anyone to give an opinion if they have no experience of this particular rifle.

Thanks for looking.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think you might be the BBS expert on this particular rarity!

I thought this rifle was quite sturdy, being derived (so I heard) from the Erma rimfire. How was it damaged?

It was an accurate but rather low-power plinker, so restoring it to standard condition would be the way to go. For a bin-slaying underlever look to the Career or Parker Hale.

Erma link for a little info ... seems you need to lube the leather washer properly, in which case do the Tuning the Older Springer routine on it...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/...-10-air-rifle/

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-Gun-Tuning

I suppose a carefully selected spring and a plastic piston seal might help a bit (Vortek might do one and a converter if it is a 25mm piston) but I imagine the swept volume will be rather small and it would maybe affect the value of this rare rifle to start serious engineering on it to gain a paltry about of power. Its a 6 fpe rifle, plenty for paper or cans or Polo mints.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 18-12-2014 at 10:42 PM.

I bought one of these almost four years ago but have never dismantled it so I would not claim to be an expert. The gun operates satisfactorily so I have had no reason to take it apart, not wanting to damage the screw-heads etc. When I first bought it I consulted a review article written by John Walter in "Guns Review" in June 1982 which included a sectional drawing of the ELG 10 which would be of interest to you in getting your gun working properly since it showed the cocking/operating mechanism in some detail.
    Unfortunately I cannot lay my hands on this magazine right now but should be able to locate it in due course so if you PM me with an e-mail address I will send it when I have located it.
    I would not get too excited about its performance however since it is only very low power. Its power is restricted by the very small effort (low mechanical advantage) required to cock it and John Walter went as far as to describe it as a 'toy' only suitable for plinking and short range target shooting.
    This model 'Ranger' was manufactured in Germany by Erma of Dachau and based on the Winchester 1894 model 'saddle gun' and marketed by Webley; a decision they probably regretted! It did not sell well and so any surviving examples may be of some value.
    Aubrey

Thanks

Thanks for the interest both.
    Hsing-ee I agree nothing too clever needed. Not interested in increasing output really just want it as smooth, quiet and accurate as possible.
    So the "routine" is definitely on.

AC99 that description fits OK but it's still very well thought of within it's capability.
    No rush for the diagram although it is interesting. I have the original maker's document with parts list and exploded view.
    The rifle dismantles and reassembles quite simply with due care and attention.

I think I'll put bore/stroke/TP/spring dimensions on here to try to get the gurus involved.

P.S. AC99 Please remember me if you ever move yours on