Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandwell field sports Chieftain

Sandwell field sports Chieftain

My God ! just watched a VHTV test on the above rifle on the Tube. I`m going to buy one of those as they are obviously the dog`s danglies. I often wonder if these chaps shoot anything else other than field target as they would be shooting for England with performances like that.

Looks like reasonably good grouping to me.

I don't really understand the need for sarcasm, I have a SFS tuned 97K which is as good as any other springer I've ever shot (including Vmach) and better than most - certainly more than capable of the level of accuracy shown in the video.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Sarcasm ? me ?

I consider Davy a top bloke and have no reason to doubt his finding and shooting ability.

chieftain

magnummike had one of the first chieftains in thumbhole and I think his findings are just as valid as both guys on vermin hunters and he finds it as was described the big dogs bollocks or in other words well worth the wait and the money trouble is he keeps it away from me
    Last edited by davymole; 20-12-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Ive got one and it is most prob the best springer I have ever shot and I own quite a few and shot other tuners stuff . But not had the pleasure of shooting a Venom tuned rifle , I think that SFS do a very good job for the money ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

I had my old .177 HW77 done by SFS, very nice. I've also had my HW95 done by Wonky Donky, It's the nicest springer I've ever shot. Loves Superdomes, pellet on pellet at 25 yards, smooth as a baby bum, and very quiet

I have 2 SFS rifles, a Custum Vulcan 2 in .22 that sits in a Gary Cane Maple stock, and a Banshee 2 in .177 that sits in a GINB stock. There both something very special, Tony Wall is one of the top springer tuners in my humble oppinion, respect to Him and all at SFS.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Sarcasm ? me ?
    SO if you were serious, it seems you simply agree with others on the BBS. On the other hand, if you were being sarcastic, it is pretty clear that you were just jumping on the 'knock SFS' bandwagon, without any real reason.

There are a number of good tuners around and they all have their different methods. Some go OTT for very little additional gain (the law of diminishing returns), others produce good results with little more than a strip, clean and lubricate.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Excuse my ignorance,but exactly what does SFS do other than the 'usual' to tune a spring gun?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Excuse my ignorance,but exactly what does SFS do other than the 'usual' to tune a spring gun?
    See post #8 here.

Not sure what the 'usual' is when it comes to tuning - rather subjective I'd have thought.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    See post #8 here.

Not sure what the 'usual' is when it comes to tuning - rather subjective I'd have thought.

Thanks,they do the same as everybody else then!

ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thanks,they do the same as everybody else then!

ATB.
    At the end of the day, most tuning is simply about tightening up tolerances, preparing surfaces and applying the right lubes in the right quantity and the right place. This level of tune can make the greatest difference to an off-the-shelf gun.

Going further in optimising transfer port size/profile, playing with stroke lengths, piston weights etc etc is all very interesting and unquestionably sees incremental improvements but as I said earlier, its the law of diminishing returns - particularly when constrained by the 12 ft/lb limit.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

I have Hw80 which was laser glided some years ago and to be honest I have not yet found a match for it. A fellow club member has a Sfs tuned Hw80 but it does not shoot as nicely as the venom rifle.
    I must admit his rifle was done a few years ago and what stage of tune I do not know. I also have a Hw77 breathed on by Airmasters, but sadly do not rate it against the two Hw 80`s.
    My original post was a bit tongue in cheek, but I do realise that Sandwell probably turn out some nice work, but looking at Vhtv I have yet to see a rifle that cannot group one hole groups at 45 yards. I would also like to see groups with perhaps 10 shots instead of 3 to give a more positive idea of performance.

Among a few other bits and pieces, I also own a chieftain, not to mention both a "normal" sfs-tuned 97k and 80k. I used to own venom-tuned versions of the 80 and 77, and a normal ps and tx. Oh, and an lgu.
    And I've been fortunate enough to sample some of the wares at the springer bash that the more advanced guys on here turn out.
    The chieftain is basically a 97k with a 370mm barrel, a la 77k, so essentially the same as a stage 2 tune on a current 77k but with the pseudo-moderator of the 97.

In short, the chieftain can do exactly what is shown in the vid if the mug behind the trigger is up to it. And just for non-fanboy balance, so could my venoms, and so can the stuff turned out by the likes of wonky, bigtoe, nick etc.
    Its not magic. It's a good tune, done by somebody who knows what they are doing, to an already good rifle. The rifle doesn't care whose sticker is on it as long as the right things are done to it.