Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me ?

Is it just me ?

Or is reloading this frustrating for everyone ???

First batch, 35gn V-max, 11gn (which my RFD swears by) & 11.5gn to try, 11gn was rubbish but 11.5 gave a nice group.

So I make up another batch at 11.5gn along with 11.8gn-12gn-12.2gn to try.

Second batch, this time the 11.5gn are rubbish 11.8 are pretty good 12 & 12.2 poor plus the 12gn were way left of POA,

So I make up another batch at 11.8gn along with 12.5gn & 12.8gn which other people have said works for them.

Third batch this afternoon, 11.8gn poor group , 12.8gn better but way right of POA (110mm), 12.5gn also way right of POA so only 2 out of 5 hit the target (100yds)

I also made up 5 each 10.5 & 11gn with 40gn bullets, but only 1 of 10 hit the A4 target

Also across the chrono what is considered good consistency % wise ? the poor grouping 11.8 today were all within 1% ES while the better grouping 12.8gn were only 8% ES.
    Last edited by angrybear; 20-12-2014 at 07:51 PM.

I had a similar issue many years ago with a steyr in 223. It panned out to be the stock touching the barrel when I used a bipod,

But there are many things that can contribute to this issue, I wish you well and hope you get it sorted, but check everything from scope mounts to the rifle crown, scope,moderator fitting and staying tight to the barrel touching the stock, to even the time you take between shots etc,

Good luck

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    No. it's just you!

Seriously though, I feel your pain. Maybe I've just been lucky over the years, I've never had any problem (there's still time!) What powder are you using?
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

It really is most frustrating sometimes. I have even found that a fraction more crimp on the same loads makes quite a difference.

One thing I did discover about my Hornet is that it is very fussy about barrel cleanliness. It doesn't seem to take a lot of rounds before accuracy tails off. I don't need to give it a full clean, just pull a patch through it.

I have been paying particular attention to getting my bullets concentric in the cases, it's difficult to tell with the tiny Hornet rounds but I'm sure it makes a difference.

I think the .22 Hornet is possessed by evil gremlins whose sole purpose is to drive reloaders to the edge of insanity - don't even try it on a full moon !

Are they jumping too far away from the lands ?

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

You havent said what this load is?

You haven't said what it is you are loading but if you had good results one time but not with the same load, they you haven't hit the sweet spot or you have introduce another variable in what you have loaded up?

If it is .223 you might get on better with the 55gn bullets and possibly a different powder?
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

It's a .22 Hornet, HW 60J lil-gun powder, coal 1.720"

Try adjusting the COL. Powder (within limits) just gives you speed, COL gives your accuracy. But make sure it still fits in the mag There is no magic jump. Some rifles like to be touching the lands some like a huge jump.

You also don't mention the dies you are using. A common (well me and a few people I know) had issues with the lee necksizing die. Unless you give it that extra push at the end of the stroke the tension isn't consistent. Apart from that Lee dies are great (just in case my mate Ackley still reads the BBS).

You also don't say how it shoots with factory ammo. Could just be a poorly shooting rifle

Finally, it has been a bit windy these last few days for those light bullets.

With Hornady 40gr. bullets in my CZ 527 I can push my coal out to 1.798" and still fit in the magazine. At 1.850" I can load singly. To be honest I haven't found it makes a great deal of difference in the Hornet being closer to the lands. Factory ammo has quite a 'jump' anyhow. You could give it a try but make sure on your Weihrauch you're not jamming the bullet into the lands. I think it's more of a precision target shooters thing to get as close as possible to the lands.

The load I have found best for me with 40gr. bullets is Lilgun at 12.2gr. and Hodgdon H110 at 10.6gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham2 View Post
    No. it's just you!

Seriously though, I feel your pain. Maybe I've just been lucky over the years, I've never had any problem (there's still time!) What powder are you using?
    As above, I had the help of Tony H, advising of using the OCW process when doing my .223 & 204, I developed a perfect load with SAMMI length cartridges and no measuring from the lands.

Thanks for the advice,

I am using Lee Neck sizing dies and I also finish them off with a "factory crimp die" to ensure a consistent grip on the bullet ( but shortly a new thread on that specifically)

Having had a think about it I do have 4 different types of brass, S&B, Remington, Hornady & Frontiera I wonder if that might be at least partly the cause so I'm going to buy a fresh bag of single make brass & start again, sadly I didn't note what brass I used with what load previously.

As for factory ammo, about on a par (35gn) or slightly worse (45gn) than what I'm now getting as what I call poor, 60-70mm groups at 100yds.

The 11.8gn load I called "pretty good" was about a 30mm group at 100yds.

New brass is a good idea, at least that eliminates one variable.

It took me weeks to get my Hornet even reasonably consistent, I went through everything from scope; moderator; dirty crown; tightness of stock screws; barrel floating; cleaning regime etc. etc.

Not even getting some rounds on paper sounds like something more than different powder loads, at least they should be consistent. Mind you, I did once try some Barnet Varmintgrenades and couldn't get then on paper at 20 yards! But that shouldn't be the case with you as some bullets are reasonable.

My targets are 3x 3"-5 ring targets per A4 sheet,
    when I say missed the A4 paper, I was aiming at the right hand target (having used the other two) & apparently missing right by 5"-6", as I found the impact area in the sandbag wall behind the targets.

I know it's no help but I've missed by that margin before ! I found it did no harm to move the target to 50 yards until I got it reasonable.

I'd only use one make of brass. Different makes will have different capacities and therefore different pressures.

Ideally buy new brass, Lapua if you can. Bit pricey but cheap across several loads.

Check your consistancy with the lee neck sizing. When you think you have the arm all the way down, give it an extra push and see if you feel it move just that little bit more. Also, once done rotate the rounds 1/4 turn/90 degrees and do it again.

And finally I wouldn't crimp, especially in a light calibre as .22 hornet its not really going to be be needed.