Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet bullet size

Hornet bullet size

Yet another question but at least this one should have a straight forward answer.

Using a Lee neck sizing die set & factory crimp die.

With straight from the box 35gn V-max .224", I size the case to be a tight interference fit that I can only just seat the bullet, but it need to be pressed home.

I was also sold what are supposed to be 40gn Hornet .224", but these arrived loose in a plastic bag, when I try them in the above sized cases the bullets are a very loose fit that will fall right in to the case if tapped on the table

It's also impossible to use the factory crimp as just the friction of being guided in also pushes the bullet back in to the case

Anyone else had this size difference ?

I would expect them to be the same fit if they are both .224" , so I'm thinking they might be .223"

Do you not have a Vernier?

They could indeed be .223". When using my Lee collett neck sizing die Hornady V-Max will not even enter the case with finger pressure so I use a Lee expanding die to slightly flair the neck in order to start the seating. The seating die then pushes them down with reasonable neck tension.

Try turning the neck sizing die down a little and see if it constricts the neck more.

PS. It is possible that insufficient depth of neck tension has been causing your previous problems, allowing some bullets to be pushed slightly off centre when you crimp. The bullet only being held tightly round the tip of the case, if you see what I mean.
    Last edited by Eligus; 21-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bailiff View Post
    Do you not have a Vernier?
    Yes I do, but only a cheap one which says the V-max are .229 & the "no name 40gn" are .225 so I think it lie's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    They could indeed be .223". When using my Lee collett neck sizing die Hornady V-Max will not even enter the case with finger pressure so I use a Lee expanding die to slightly flair the neck in order to start the seating. The seating die then pushes them down with reasonable neck tension.

Try turning the neck sizing die down a little and see if it constricts the neck more.

PS. It is possible that insufficient depth of neck tension has been causing your previous problems, allowing some bullets to be pushed slightly off centre when you crimp. The bullet only being held tightly round the tip of the case, if you see what I mean.
    I have tried adjusting the neck die but just cannot get it to crimp the neck tighter no matter how much force I use, up to 100lbs with a hand press

Hornet

If the bullets are sold as hornet bullets they are usually .223 dia. Made for old model hornets. Modern hornets use .224 dia bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yes I do, but only a cheap one which says the V-max are .229 & the "no name 40gn" are .225 so I think it lie's.
    I used to have the same problem. I was always double checking with a Moore & Wright micrometer.

I got a nearly new "Mitutoyu" dial vernier from the bay for 22 quid delivered.

Try taking the pin out of the neck collett die and giving it a polish, see if it reduces the diameter a little. No more than 25lbs pressure should be needed.

Hornet

If it's a modern gun you don't realy want to be using the .223 bullets to small for the rifling

Hornet bullet size

What brand of brass are you using? I've had this problem with some .223 cases in the past, some cases can just lose their strength in the neck area, I've experienced it in the odd .308 & some pistol cases, back in the day. Try the bullets in different cases before you junk the them, worth a try, & try to locate a micrometer, far more accurate than the cheaper verniers.
    Elwellaxe.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwellaxe View Post
    What brand of brass are you using? I've had this problem with some .223 cases in the past, some cases can just lose their strength in the neck area, I've experienced it in the odd .308 & some pistol cases, back in the day. Try the bullets in different cases before you junk the them, worth a try, & try to locate a micrometer, far more accurate than the cheaper verniers.
    Elwellaxe.
    I've got Hornady, Remington, S&B, or Frontiera brass,
    I've just sized a few of each, same result with all of them, the V-max I can just about force in enough to put in the press, the 40gn's I can just push straight in to the case & a slap in to my hand & the bullet pop's back out.

I'll look for a new vernier tomorrow

Just another thought. Dismantle the die and check that the slots between the collet 'petals' are clear and able to close fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    Just another thought. Dismantle the die and check that the slots between the collet 'petals' are clear and able to close fully.
    do the above but how many firings as the brass done
    it may need annealling now as its work hardened
    why not neck size with the full length die to see if that helps or skip the neck sizing and full length all the time

Hornet size

I have to use a Lyman "M" die to open the sized case neck sufficiently to seat the S & B 45 gn bullet in .224...using RCBS dies. Cases are PPU and Remington. Hornet reloading is a completely different world I find...reloading in miniature.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    do the above but how many firings as the brass done
    it may need annealling now as its work hardened
    why not neck size with the full length die to see if that helps or skip the neck sizing and full length all the time
    Brass is twice fired,

I don't have a full length die.

Checking the collet crimp was clean & clear was the first thing I did.

Have been told by the seller they are .223",

If I'd checked the Sierra part numbers I'd have known that before buying, so I guess it's my bad for assuming all modern Hornet was .224"