Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED Crosman 600 piercing cap

WANTED Crosman 600 piercing cap

Hi guys been looking for ages for one of these and can't seem to source one. I need the front cap which pierces the co2 however I'm only interested in the actual screw cap part with the thread on the inside.

If anyone has anything in there spare box or can help please let me know?

Thanks and merry christmass

Daniel

You can try Lawrie Amatruda on here if he will part with one. You can get them from Rick Willnecker of Precision Pellet in the USA. I bought new cam rings for the 600 from him.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Does a QB78 have the same thread form and size.......anyone know...??

Pete.

I will go and have a look Pete

Well it screws in but I think the sealing ring is in the wrong place.
    House full at moment.
    Might try it tomorrow.

No!

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Does a QB78 have the same thread form and size.......anyone know...??

Pete.
    QB is metric thread. Crosman is SAE.

Note also that there are two types of Crosman piercing caps for the 600. There is the one which you counter rotate an 1/8 to release gas. The other is the one which you push the knob in to pierce the Powerlet. The reason for the push type is that there was a constant issue of the users not being able to figure out that the cap needed to be counter rotated. Seems it was counter intuitive. s

There is a small difference between the caps for the 600 and 160. Not sure if this affects interchangeability but there is a difference.

I suggests going to Rick Willnecker as somebody else suggested. If he doesn't have them, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    QB is metric thread. Crosman is SAE.

Note also that there are two types of Crosman piercing caps for the 600. There is the one which you counter rotate an 1/8 to release gas. The other is the one which you push the knob in to pierce the Powerlet. The reason for the push type is that there was a constant issue of the users not being able to figure out that the cap needed to be counter rotated. Seems it was counter intuitive. s

There is a small difference between the caps for the 600 and 160. Not sure if this affects interchangeability but there is a difference.

I suggests going to Rick Willnecker as somebody else suggested. If he doesn't have them, let me know.

Thanks guys for all suggestions so far.

I actually went straight to my xs78 and had a look and it was different. I also was hoping that the Crosman 2250 Ect range was the same but they use male threaded caps and have a internal female thread in there tubes so its the opersite to the 600, along with the thread gap is larger on the 600!

Its frustrating.

I will try and contact th guy in here as suggested but was trying not to order from America as I've had bad experiences but will if I have to.

Would any of you know what thread size the 600 would have or how I would measure it for a machinist? I have someone through someone else who could possibly make me one but requires the thread size or my pistol, and I'm far far to fond of my 600 to send it to him.

Any help really appreciated

Thanks guys

here's the link

Quote Originally Posted by Dan944 View Post
    Thanks guys for all suggestions so far.

I actually went straight to my xs78 and had a look and it was different. I also was hoping that the Crosman 2250 Ect range was the same but they use male threaded caps and have a internal female thread in there tubes so its the opersite to the 600, along with the thread gap is larger on the 600!

Its frustrating.

I will try and contact th guy in here as suggested but was trying not to order from America as I've had bad experiences but will if I have to.

Would any of you know what thread size the 600 would have or how I would measure it for a machinist? I have someone through someone else who could possibly make me one but requires the thread size or my pistol, and I'm far far to fond of my 600 to send it to him.

Any help really appreciated

Thanks guys
    http://www.airgunshop.net/index.html

Rick is completely reliable. So far.....

I wouldn't recommend having a replacement made. It might be possible but without the original prints, etc. there's little chance that it's going to be an exact replacement and when dealing with CO2, it's just not worth it in my opinion. The caps are available in the US. If you don't want to go through Rick for some reason there is also MAC-1 in LA. Another completely reliable air gun shop. While at MAC-1 be sure to check out their Steroid upgrades. Not sure what they have for the 600 but there are a number of guys who produce incredible upgrade components that take the 600 to another level. It's easy to replace the barrel with a longer one, for instance. Then, there are ways to change the 600 over to paintball tanks. I know MAC-1 has these.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    http://www.airgunshop.net/index.html

Rick is completely reliable. So far.....

I wouldn't recommend having a replacement made. It might be possible but without the original prints, etc. there's little chance that it's going to be an exact replacement and when dealing with CO2, it's just not worth it in my opinion. The caps are available in the US. If you don't want to go through Rick for some reason there is also MAC-1 in LA. Another completely reliable air gun shop. While at MAC-1 be sure to check out their Steroid upgrades. Not sure what they have for the 600 but there are a number of guys who produce incredible upgrade components that take the 600 to another level. It's easy to replace the barrel with a longer one, for instance. Then, there are ways to change the 600 over to paintball tanks. I know MAC-1 has these.

Thanks DT I appreciate that info and advice, I will have a look.

Thanks
    Daniel

Didn't you just buy a Cr 600 a few days ago on here ?

Why not send that piercer cap off to your contact and have it copied

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Dan, I have never had a problem with dealing with USA firms or sellers, Their delivery can often be quicker than from the UK!

As a reference though for measuring a thread like on the 600, you will need a Vernier or Micrometer, and really a set of thread gauges. The country of origin of the part is often a clue, ie. USA will often be SAE (now superseded generally by UNF/UNC), but like us they have various other thread forms too. Europe is generally Metric, U.K. can be allsorts! So you are into some expense if you don't have this kit (you will need 2 sets of gauges..metric and imperial).

A Machinist needs to know the thread T.P.I., O.D. and sometimes the pitch angle (55 or 60 degrees as some forms are close). He will then look in his Zeus or similar book and see what's what.

This video is American in terms, but worth spending 3 mins watching as it includes tapered threads which confuse some folk;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdvtw0pTAOs

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Didn't you just buy a Cr 600 a few days ago on here ?

Why not send that piercer cap off to your contact and have it copied
    Hi yes I did, and it will be my last resort, thankyou. I may just look into buying in America as I'm being assured to do, maybe I was just unlucky before.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Dan, I have never had a problem with dealing with USA firms or sellers, Their delivery can often be quicker than from the UK!

As a reference though for measuring a thread like on the 600, you will need a Vernier or Micrometer, and really a set of thread gauges. The country of origin of the part is often a clue, ie. USA will often be SAE (now superseded generally by UNF/UNC), but like us they have various other thread forms too. Europe is generally Metric, U.K. can be allsorts! So you are into some expense if you don't have this kit (you will need 2 sets of gauges..metric and imperial).

A Machinist needs to know the thread T.P.I., O.D. and sometimes the pitch angle (55 or 60 degrees as some forms are close). He will then look in his Zeus or similar book and see what's what.

This video is American in terms, but worth spending 3 mins watching as it includes tapered threads which confuse some folk;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdvtw0pTAOs

ATB, Ed
    Thankyou Ed,

I will have a look at this video. Theist annoying thing is I have a lathe and I'm armature but a bit of a dab hand at making quite difficult bits but only self taught. Annoyingly I have all the bits to thread myself but have never been shown how to so I rely on other machinist for that.

I have verniers and filar guages but no thread guages

Thanks for your input guys!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan944 View Post

Thank you Ed,

I will have a look at this video. Theist annoying thing is I have a lathe and I'm armature but a bit of a dab hand at making quite difficult bits but only self taught. Annoyingly I have all the bits to thread myself but have never been shown how to so I rely on other machinist for that.

I have verniers and filar guages but no thread guages

Thanks for your input guys!
    Hi Dan, If you have a lathe then screw cutting is fairly straight forward, but internal screw cutting has to be approached with a bit of care regarding when the tool stops for obvious reasons

This vid shows the process, but this machine has some sort of attachment to auto-stop;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgYuEwe2AU

This one covers internal;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olC9xyHheDU

Tons more on the tube and you will see already everyone seems to differ...For example on my little lathe at work when screwcutting I leave it in gear, pull the tool away a tad when stopped, then put into reverse to back out to then put the tool back in far enough to take another cut and then start in forward again, ie. I never dis-engage the lead screw. I have on occasion had the indicator wheel come out of engagement and have ruined a job, so this way is fool proof!

I have the advantage of a digital readout, so can see easily how much I am cutting, but have done plenty on machines without this luxury.

Obviously internal cutting to a blind hole has to be approached carefully, with plenty of attention paid to avoid a shunt...I had a 600 a while back, but can't remember if the thread was full depth, I am guessing not, which makes it much easier to do.

The tube is a great resource for home machinists, try looking for barrel crowning for example, everything is on there, but always best to watch a few different people to see different approaches.

First attempt at internal cutting would always be easier with tube as the second guy shows, to get your head around winding the slide toward you to remove material etc.

Have a play, nothing to lose, loads to learn, just go easy and take care.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    You can try Lawrie Amatruda on here if he will part with one. You can get them from Rick Willnecker of Precision Pellet in the USA. I bought new cam rings for the 600 from him.

Baz
    What was Lawrie's response ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Part number

When looking for a replacement, it really helps to have the Crosman part number handy. The early piercing cap is 600-73.
    While you're at it, get a good supply of the O-ring part number 150-54 at the same time that you order from the US. (like I said, going to trouble of producing a copy of this is IMO a fool's errand)
    Here's a must-read MAC-1 page on the 600. http://www.mac1airgun.com/600mac1style.html