Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WANTED Crosman 600 piercing cap

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Dan, If you have a lathe then screw cutting is fairly straight forward, but internal screw cutting has to be approached with a bit of care regarding when the tool stops for obvious reasons

This vid shows the process, but this machine has some sort of attachment to auto-stop;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgYuEwe2AU

This one covers internal;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olC9xyHheDU

Tons more on the tube and you will see already everyone seems to differ...For example on my little lathe at work when screwcutting I leave it in gear, pull the tool away a tad when stopped, then put into reverse to back out to then put the tool back in far enough to take another cut and then start in forward again, ie. I never dis-engage the lead screw. I have on occasion had the indicator wheel come out of engagement and have ruined a job, so this way is fool proof!

I have the advantage of a digital readout, so can see easily how much I am cutting, but have done plenty on machines without this luxury.

Obviously internal cutting to a blind hole has to be approached carefully, with plenty of attention paid to avoid a shunt...I had a 600 a while back, but can't remember if the thread was full depth, I am guessing not, which makes it much easier to do.

The tube is a great resource for home machinists, try looking for barrel crowning for example, everything is on there, but always best to watch a few different people to see different approaches.

First attempt at internal cutting would always be easier with tube as the second guy shows, to get your head around winding the slide toward you to remove material etc.

Have a play, nothing to lose, loads to learn, just go easy and take care.

ATB, Ed

Thanks Ed your a good bloke, looking forward to watching it all and having a play over christmass. Do you regret getting rid of your 600? I can't see myself ever selling this one, its just beutifally engineered, and so fun, even though I've not target tested it as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    What was Lawrie's response ?

Baz

Hi Baz,

I was intending to pm you actually as I spent the whole day trying to find him and had no luck

I tried typing his name in here and nothing came up apart from some really old posts that people had mensioned him. Then I found a email of his, and wrote him a long message and today got an email back saying that it could not send to that email, so I assumed it was an old email of his??????

I really want to contact him but don't know how?

Thanks
    Daniel

Daniel, will pm his phone number.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks Baz top man

IIRC Grant Stace in New Zealand makes these ?

Unfortunately I've lost his Email addy but you could probably contact him through his Grant the Kiwi, network 54 gun site.

All the best Mick