Thread: HW45: How quiet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW45: How quiet?

Any truth in the word that a .22 HW45 on full power cocking is quieter & more powerfull than a HW45 in .177?
    If so, does anyone know how noticeable it is?

I'm looking for a quality quiet pistol.
    Thanks

Power should be same but 22 more efficient than 177 so less spring effort and less blast also 22 softens recoil in spring pistol

Either way my hw45 barks with either 22 or 177 barrels in...big mechancal kick although quiter than any unsilenced co2 pistol coz they do crack

I had an sw586 with silencer...nice quiet and accurate although still some pop from the cylinder

I am trying to find something quiet and accurate for my loft so am considering the asg cz09 provided I can get a silencer to fit

Oh I also have a eb20 in .20....loud but whisper quiet with silencer...shame about the trigger

On thing to consider is making a quiet target too as that can be louder at short range

My tuppenth worth

Stu
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by scgevans View Post
    Power should be same but 22 more efficient than 177 so less spring effort and less blast also 22 softens recoil in spring pistol

Either way my hw45 barks with either 22 or 177 barrels in...big mechancal kick although quiter than any unsilenced co2 pistol coz they do crack

I had an sw586 with silencer...nice quiet and accurate although still some pop from the cylinder

I am trying to find something quiet and accurate for my loft so am considering the asg cz09 provided I can get a silencer to fit

Oh I also have a eb20 in .20....loud but whisper quiet with silencer...shame about the trigger

On thing to consider is making a quiet target too as that can be louder at short range

My tuppenth worth

Stu
    as far as im aware the barrels of the 45 were machined to different lengths to keep the power the same but your better off with .177 as .22 in "low powered" air guns has a pronounced loop in its travel, .177 is faster and flatter flying
    the extra weight of the .22 means it takes a bit more effort to get it moving, so when the piston is near the end of its stroke there is more of a cushion of air slowing the piston before the pellet starts moving
    you can buy a silencer adapter for the 45
    agreed on the quieter target, if you have the room a bunker sand trap is best
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by scgevans View Post

My tuppenth worth

Stu
    Try here chap: http://www.sportingsupplies.co.uk/co...n-uk/d695.html 5th item down. Best you would do without getting an adaptor run up (the asg does not have a 1/2" UNF thread). One of these empty cans padded out with hair curlers, pan scourer and a 20mm washer significantly reduces the muzzle crack. Not as good as a bigger silencer, but not bad.

Pistol to be shot in my garden.

I prefer spring rifles & the ones I have are fine for shooting in the garden but my Sig 225 Co2 pistol is too loud. After a couple of refils it has set the wife off, & the dogs.

I like some recoil in all my guns if possible so not too keen shooting my Sig but I love the look & feel of it (Walnut grips) but fancy a multi-shot when it comes to pistols, but a compromise is on the cards as the HW is a fine gun.

The asg czP09 is blow back I think?
    Looked ok on a u tube flick but I never rely too much on those.
    Will need to make some inquires.

Will look into all the suggestions mentioned, including getting a silencer fitted if necessary.

Thanks fellas-enjoy your Christmas.

You may well be sorted by now but I've just bought a 2nd hand Brocock Atomic S6 as I wanted something quiet to shoot indoors when the kids have gone to bed. We live in a bungalow and the area I shoot is close to one of their rooms but with a silencer attached works a treat and they haven't heard it yet.

I also have a HW 45 but there's no way I could use that without waking them and wanted something just as powerful for sending tin cans flying at the end of the garden plus it's multi shot which is nice.

Not sorted yet.
    Stopped buying the air gun comics ages ago so wasn't aware of this.

I do like pistols to look authentic (good copies) but this seems to tick all the boxes apart from that.

Am checking the HW's this wk/end then I'll take a look at the Brocock Atomic S6.
    Reading conflicting reports on it's accuracy though?
    If it is accurate then that's probably what I'll end up with.

Thanks very much for the info.