Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airwolf MVT - worst rifle ever?

If you want to "move it on", I'll buy it I already have one in .22 FAC and would love a 12ftlb .177 to play with.

But just a quick question - what pellets are you using ? "Standard" 8.4gn or are you trying heavies (Bis Mags for example)? If its heavies, then it won't make the 780 you've set it at as it would be FAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    If you want to "move it on", I'll buy it I already have one in .22 FAC and would love a 12ftlb .177 to play with.

But just a quick question - what pellets are you using ? "Standard" 8.4gn or are you trying heavies (Bis Mags for example)? If its heavies, then it won't make the 780 you've set it at as it would be FAC.
    JSB 8.44grain Biffo, have tried FTT, AA Field, Accupell etc. All equally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    How is the accuracy on it ??
    Murphy, accuracy is perfectly good if you ignore the fps variation and vertical stringing as range increases.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder5 View Post
    No need to send to Daystate for computer interface, they are available to gunsmiths if they care to buy one, if I remember around £250. So you would think any approved Daystate service centre should have one?

The electronics are not the problem, the issue is one of QC at point of origin.

Jim PM me and I may be able to help you with your rifle, you are not too far away.
    Stryder5, when you say this is not an electronics issue but a QC issue, what do you think is the problem? Dirty/sticking solenoid? Bad valve?

I'm desperate to get to the bottom of this problem, if anyone has any experience of a similar fault and what was the root cause I'd be willing to pay 1, maybe 2 beers to hear what finally cured the wolf. I'm serious.

Cheers for the replies gents

There's probably a reason that Daystate discontinued the sub-12 version of the MVT.
    rangetime.tumblr.com

There was a reason Daystate discontinued the sub 12 mvt.
    Too many Silverbacks were fiddling with the onboard chrono and buggering them up.

Scotty..? Are you weighing these pellets? As you say accuracy is ok. Only the fps variation is unacceptable.

I once had a problem with an inconsistent mk4.
    Took it up to Daystate myself. Was told the rifle was fine. But had a software update while it was being looked at.
    Came home after a brief tour of the factory with my healthy rifle.
    Put it over my chrono and it was all over the shop.
    Fuming.. Rang Daystate. Was rather blunt with them...
    Angie asked if I'd tried other weighed pellets.
    Erm... No....

Opened up a fresh tin.. Weighed a few... And the mk4 shot every pellet with barely any variation at all.

I felt such a tool.
    And yes.. I did ring back and appologise.

Well that's settled it was going to buy one ......not now..i always thought they over priced bling.....stick with what I have got ..
    I intend to live forever,so far so good. HW90K .25... Career 707 .25 ..Career 707 .25 carbine.. Sumatra .22....Sumatra .25.. mutiple careers..Daystate Air wolf .22 HW100 .22 HW45 .22

Intresting points here,. I have a 16 year old Hutsman FTR that works perfectly, and had been saveing to get a new one with electronics but after reading these posts I think I will keep my cash

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    Intresting points here,. I have a 16 year old Hutsman FTR that works perfectly, and had been saveing to get a new one with electronics but after reading these posts I think I will keep my cash
    I have a FAC Airwolf MVT and like it so much got a sub12 MK3 as a basis for a bullpup conversion, for me it's all about the trigger, don't see me ever going back to a mechanical trigger.
    Only worth changing if you get a benefit from it.

As an MVT owner who had problems with the gun when new and who has had a very reliable gun for the last 4 years.
    I would say if you buy an electronic gun be prepared to pay £150 every 3 to 5 years for a full service, o-ring change and retune to keep the gun being very reliable, plus maybe £35 for a replacement battary. Its like any other airgun in this regard except the electronics require special equipment to check.
    My Airwolf is the most accurate airgun I own, especially at long range off a bipod (very consistant fps ES) or off hand at close to medium range due to the very fast lock time. The fact I can adjust the fps in 1 fps increments means I can fine tune my holdover ranges in seconds at the shooting range or quickly adjust the power down for shooting vermin inside buildings.
    There is a lot too like about this gun (besides it being most beautiful buddy bottle gun ever made) but it has to be correctly maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by stormraider77 View Post
    There was a reason Daystate discontinued the sub 12 mvt.
    Too many Silverbacks were fiddling with the onboard chrono and buggering them up.

Scotty..? Are you weighing these pellets? As you say accuracy is ok. Only the fps variation is unacceptable.
    Stormraider, yep, gone to great lengths to make sure the pellets aren't the problem.

My mk3 does 3fps variation with unweighted pellets, the MVT can't keep 50fps variation. It seems unlikely to me that it can be explained by the electronics, I think it has to be a mechanical fault.

Few videos here:-

Thoughts gents?
    Last edited by scottyoungsheep; 28-12-2014 at 03:57 PM.

I know nothing about electronic rifles BUT the fact that daystate have tries to update software suggest that the problem isn't pellets. If the rifle is capable of being adjusted into 1 fps increments, maybe the system for monitoring or controlling the speed is shagged ? That would be the first consideration. 50fps spread is massive.
    Good luck matey. I'm sure that daystate will help. At the end of the day, they have a decent rep for customer services.
    Problems like this is why I stayed with my rapids. I'm not trying to start the old argument "which is best" though.

Have a look at "freewebs Daystate mk3 strip guide, not the same model but the soloniod strip photos/tips are similar to the Airwolfs and maybe where you have a problem.
    Also Daystate had a problem with the chrono sensors (at the end of the muzzle shroud) getting dirty and started supplying a small bristle brush for poking down the end of the muzzle shroud.
    Could the pellet probe o-ring be leaking, could the barrel transfer port o-ring be leaking (located under the breach, watch for LCD screen wires and chrono sensor wires when you loosen this part).
    Last edited by Gunfun; 28-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.

It might be back to basics time.

• try switching the onboard chrono off.
    • try checking your seals.
    • try a single shot tray instead of a magazine.
    • try weighed pellets.
    • try locating your chrono in a well lit area, and testing both guns.

The AirWolf is a lovely rifle, it would be a shame to give up on it (even although I understand how infuriating it is).
    rangetime.tumblr.com

Good point... Is the probe o ring ok?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronWilson View Post
    It might be back to basics time.

• try switching the onboard chrono off.
    • try checking your seals.
    • try a single shot tray instead of a magazine.
    • try weighed pellets.
    • try locating your chrono in a well lit area, and testing both guns.

The AirWolf is a lovely rifle, it would be a shame to give up on it (even although I understand how infuriating it is).
    Onboard chrono off - no difference

New seal fitted - will come back to that...

Single shot tray - in all the time

All pellets are weighed

Have tested alongside a combro cb625 - within a few FPS

About the probe seal, did the talc test and found some blow-by. Replaced it with a new one, same problem. Squeezed two seals into the groove, and retried with no air escaping, but the problem remains.

The more things I scratch off the list the more confused I get...