Thread: Die Ökonomie-Musterbücher S.5023

Die Ökonomie-Musterbücher S.5023

Die Ökonomie-Musterbücher was the purchasing specification for the Habsburg/Austrian army. Anything the army wanted to purchase and have it paid for by the government had to come out these books.
    There has been little research on this angle of inquiry regarding the Girandoni but I do have one report that the Girandoni itself does not have a specification but the accessories do. What's available on the internet is limited but there is Specification 5023. It details the Windbüchen - Flaschen- Futteral sammt Trag - ind Flintenriemen or Airgun-Airtank-Case, together with carrying strap - and gun belt (sling). http://books.google.com/books?id=T8N...üchsen&f=false

What's nice about the Militär-Ökonomie specifications is that there is no question that this item really is for an original Austrian miliarty air gun. No opinions, no assumptions, no questions... other than, there is no assurance that this case and sling specification is for the Girandoni. There is evidence that there were other less distinguished air guns used by the Austrian military, particular the Grenzer troops. The dates on this spec are 1798 and 1803 (? on the 3) which seems a bit late to be for the Girandoni.

We've all seen this knapsack that reportedly was for the Girandoni.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girand...rments_Bag.jpg

If it comes close to S.5023, I have no idea, but, at least, there is now an official specification for comparison.

Terzenleder

So, for those interested in reconstructing an official Austrian Military spec. airgun/airtank case - and who isn't? - a key question about spec. 5023 is exactly what is Terzenleder? As it turns out, Terzenleder is oxhide produced from oxen 2 - 3 years old. So, Terzenleder is a heavy duty, stiff leather.

S. 5023 is a heavy-leather case.

there is a photograph of one of these in 'airguns and other pneumatic arms' by hoff, together with a
    photograph of the contents. it says it's from the museo nationale storico d'artiglieria in turin.

Maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by j_potter View Post
    there is a photograph of one of these in 'airguns and other pneumatic arms' by hoff, together with a
    photograph of the contents. it says it's from the museo nationale storico d'artiglieria in turin.
    There is no certainty that the Turin knapsack is actually an original Austrian Military item. The gun that goes with the Turin knapsack is another example of the 11mm civilian model, so, that puts some doubt on the knapsack that goes with it. Also, I'm no expert in ancient leather, but, if that knapsack is original then it's over 200 years old and it just doesn't look to be that old. The Turin museum unfortunately is closed and may not even open again, from what I've been told. It was possible to communicate with them about the gun and they confirmed that it's an 11mm gun.

For many items in the Ökonomie-Musterbücher there is a drawing of it. With any luck, we'll be able to find one for this specification.

If anyone wants to try and make an original Austrian Military spec 5023 air gun/tank case, I can help provide the means of converting the measurements into modern terms.