Thread: Bsa improved mod d light pattern 2" pre-load ?

Bsa improved mod d light pattern 2" pre-load ?

New spring for my BSA Improved Mod D Light Pattern arrived today from Protek but it's much longer than the original by about 2 1/4". Does this sound correct to you guys ? I thought the Light Pattern/Ladies model was supposed to be not just a smaller gun than the full size version but easier to cock as well. If I fit this spring it will take just as much, if not more effort to cock than the full size rifle I would think. I know it will compress a bit once it's been fired a few times but it still seems a bit long to me. Can't contact Protek today so any advice appreciated.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Spring

Both the light patterns I have had have about 4cm of pre load and are a bit easier to cock than the standards but not by much.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    New spring for my BSA Improved Mod D Light Pattern arrived today from Protek but it's much longer than the original by about 2 1/4". Does this sound correct to you guys ? I thought the Light Pattern/Ladies model was supposed to be not just a smaller gun than the full size version but easier to cock as well. If I fit this spring it will take just as much, if not more effort to cock than the full size rifle I would think. I know it will compress a bit once it's been fired a few times but it still seems a bit long to me. Can't contact Protek today so any advice appreciated.
    Hi,

I did a similar rebuild with a spring from Knibbs, - it was well over length (a couple of years ago so I don't remember exactly how much) but I managed to install it. On removal for checking it was a fair bit shorter and has been in the gun ever since and cocks smoothly, -so it might be worth compressing the new spring on a bit of studding with nuts and washers to "condition" it first. If the gun seems a bit "wild" you can always collapse or remove a coil or two if necessary

I may be teaching you to suck eggs but the best way to compress the spring on rebuild is to put the barrel tip on the ground (on a block of wood or similar) and fit the stock to your shoulder while pressing down and twisting. This is the method recommended in the original BSA manual, and it worked well for me.
    I don't think the cocking effort is much different between the standard model and the light pattern due to the different cocking arm geometry.

Good luck with the build!
    Last edited by timewell48; 28-12-2014 at 12:14 AM.

I agree with previous.....the spring does seem overly long but once in the rifle it will collapse a bit and should be fine. I had the same problem once with this spring and shortened it,thinking it was too long, big mistake.
    Pete.

I also had a Protek spring for my light pattern mod D, i found the spring too loose and it didn,t even remotely fit the spring guide as far as i know this is bad news in the end i did not use this spring complete waste of my money. Vbull is your protek spring good fit to the spring guide? Wonder if anyone had Knibbs spring when there were in stock.

Smile

I'm fairly sure that in my pre war Beesas, the mainspring is made of two shorter ones rather than one longer spring!!

I think this is how BSA made them as i'm sure i've seen the piled arms logo impressed on the flat ends of them

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I'm fairly sure that in my pre war Beesas, the mainspring is made of two shorter ones rather than one longer spring!!

I think this is how BSA made them as i'm sure i've seen the piled arms logo impressed on the flat ends of them

John

You're right about the standard (full size) model having a two piece spring, but I don't recall seeing a light pattern with anything but a one piece spring. (unless it's broken of course )

Regards,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by timewell48 View Post
    You're right about the standard (full size) model having a two piece spring, but I don't recall seeing a light pattern with anything but a one piece spring. (unless it's broken of course )

Regards,

Ooops!! By the time i'd reade through, i'd forgotten it was a light pattern!! (Flippin' senilitry galloping on!!! ) I bought a light pattern gun too with bits missing!! Can't remember if there's even a mainspring in it!!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

edbear2 Guest
    As Peter says regarding the preload maybe a tad more (say 2"). The spring rate on these (especially if flat wound) is quite soft I have found, and what seems initially like a lot of preload does not translate into cocking effort. Also as someone else says, do not shorten it before trying it once, It's a 10 min job to put one together and check the cocking effort / chrono it (should be circa 560 - 600 fps with Hobby pellets and a good bedded in washer set).

I am sure Protek (I have not tried this spring myself, but only hear good things about them generally) will stand by their product, and if you do have a problem of some sort will be happy to help.

Just wack it in and see and let us know!

ATB, Ed

Thanks for all the help. I got a call yesterday from Protek (someone had phoned them about this thread) was told to fit it and if there was a problem they would take it back and send a shorter one. Can't be fairer than that ! I'm going to try this one but as far as fitting is concerned, not so easy for me as I can't put my weight behind it due to being in a wheelchair but have cobbled together a spring compressor which should do the trick.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.