Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun - info need on how it works

King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun - info need on how it works

Hi
    I have just acquired a King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun model 2136. It seems to have decent pressure and its quite hard to cock ( its almost exactly like a daisy) using the under lever.

The end of the barrel unscrews and a rod with a seal and a spoon type pressing is all part of this. The centre rod is a tube from which I suspect the projectile fires out of?

At the top of the barrel at the front end is a whole where you can press down on the spoon pressing??

I have tried to fit a .177 lead bb into the tube but it is too small?

Has anyone got any idea how these work or can send me a link to instructions?

Would love to get it going.

From some research it seem to be dated 1936 to 41 when they stopped making them and they all became Daisy guns.

Regards

Mick

Mick,
    You screw the barrel all the way into the rifle, then unscrew it half a turn or so until the 'spoon' as you call it uncovers the hole in the outer barrel. Then you pour in your 500 bb's ,then screw the barrel back in until the loading hole is covered up ( to prevent the bb's falling out). The bb's are held in the outer barrel tube.
    Now when you cock the rifle with the underlever one bb is loaded into the barrel and held there by either the fit of the bb in the tapered breech or by a wire clip,depending on exact year of manufacture.
    The rifle is gravity fed so you must point the muzzle upwards whilst cocking it to allow a bb to feed into the breech. Sometimes give the rifle a little shake to help the bb roll into position in the breech.
    Oh, don't actually load all 500 bbs into the rifle, just a couple of hundred tops...to allow them room to move around.....it helps with loading.
    Also......these rifles were not .177 calibre but .175 ( as all true bb guns are). You should be using H&N 4.4 mm lead bb's in this rifle or.......modern steel bb which although may be marked as .177 on the box are actually .175.
    I will have a look through my literature and try to find the date when they switched from using lead to steel bb ,and get back to you.

Pete.
    Pete

steel/ lead bb

Mick,
    I looked in my reference book. 1925 saw the change over from lead bb's to steel, but obviously there will be a change over period.
    To tell which type of bb Your King should use, unscrew the inner barrel completely and look at the breech end...
    If there is a small curved wire clip in place then you should use modern steel bb. If there is no clip then you should use the H&N 4.4mm copper coated lead ones. Do NOT use steel bb in the early type rifle as you will have jamms and will damage the bb probe on the end of the piston that pushes the bb up the bore.
    If you need further help you can email me some good quality pictures of the rifle and especially the inner barrel/ shot tube.
    Pete.

modern BB usually okay in older guns

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Mick,
    I looked in my reference book. 1925 saw the change over from lead bb's to steel, but obviously there will be a change over period.
    To tell which type of bb Your King should use, unscrew the inner barrel completely and look at the breech end...
    If there is a small curved wire clip in place then you should use modern steel bb. If there is no clip then you should use the H&N 4.4mm copper coated lead ones. Do NOT use steel bb in the early type rifle as you will have jamms and will damage the bb probe on the end of the piston that pushes the bb up the bore.
    If you need further help you can email me some good quality pictures of the rifle and especially the inner barrel/ shot tube.
    Pete.
    The only reason not to use modern steel BB's in one intended for Lead Air Rifle Shot (the proper American term for early lead BBs) is that they will roll out the barrel, that's the only reason for the wire clip. The story about steel BBs causing damage is most company propaganda about irregular steel shot damaging guns which is no longer an issue. And, don't shoot your eye out! Not a joke really. Always wear protective eyewear when shooting steel BBs They ricochet.

Regarding Lead Air Rifle Shot: still possible to find filled tubes on .
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 29-12-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Good advice from Dean ,and he should know being brought up in the land of the bb gun.

Pete.

Hi all - this is great information!
    I think I have the spring clip.The tube has a thread at the end with a plate that wraps round the tube - looks like a guide for the bbs with a wire (spring) underneath. I would like to post pics but not sure how. Does this sound like the lead version?
    are the bb pellets easy to get for this?
    Really looking forward to giving it a go ( it is a present for my son but I'll get just as much fun out of it!)
    cheers Mick

Reading the posts again with the spring its steel bb pellets?
    I think this gun is the ones made between 1936 and 1941 so that would make sense.
    Just got to get some now!😁

Pete - another question please - should there be a seal on behind the threaded bit of the barrell/tube?
    Looks like something was there but has disintegrated or it may be years of accumulated muck.
    Thanks again Mick

Quote Originally Posted by wsmk2 View Post
    Pete - another question please - should there be a seal on behind the threaded bit of the barrell/tube?
    Looks like something was there but has disintegrated or it may be years of accumulated muck.
    Thanks again Mick
    Well most Daisy or King bb guns I have owned or worked on do not have a seal at the threaded end, but it is possible that a previous owner may have fitted a leather washer as a seal. My advise would be to try it without first.
    If yours has the wire clip then the normal steel bb's are what you need. Every gunshop sells them.

Pete.

Hi all - this is great information!
    I think I have the spring clip.The tube has a thread at the end with a plate that wraps round the tube - looks like a guide for the bbs with a wire (spring) underneath. I would like to post pics but not sure how. Does this sound like the lead version?
    are the bb pellets easy to get for this?
    Really looking forward to giving it a go ( it is a present for my son but I'll get just as much fun out of it!)
    cheers Mick
    Mick,
    To post pics on here you would have to save them in a host account,such as dropbox or photobucket, then copy and paste them on here.
    Your description is correct for the shot tube and bb guide.
    Pete.

Thanks Pete - interestingly i think this one seems to have been deactivated by a previous owner as a small diameter hollow steel tube had been placed down the barrel to prevent BBS getting into the barrel. The screw end has half the diameter hole as the muzzle end. This looks removable and it looks like it has to come out to let BBS get into the barrel?
    Can you confirm the diameter of the barrel tube should be the same both ends?
    Cheers Mick

Thanks Pete - interestingly i think this one seems to have been deactivated by a previous owner as a small diameter hollow steel tube had been placed down the barrel to prevent BBS getting into the barrel. The screw end has half the diameter hole as the muzzle end. This looks removable and it looks like it has to come out to let BBS get into the barrel?
    Can you confirm the diameter of the barrel tube should be the same both ends?
    Cheers Mick
    Oooh, that sounds like bad news.
    The barrel is the same diameter all the way through. The hollow tube you describe sounds like the bb probe, which should be attached to the piston head. It sounds as though this has broken away from the piston. If this is the case then the rifle will not fire.
    what happens when you fire the rifle is that the piston ( actually there is no piston, it is called a plunger) flies forward and the short hollow probe attached to the front of the plunger/ piston seal pushes the bb out of the retaining wire clip and up the barrel tube. The very end of the probe ( nearest the piston seal) has a small hole in its side that channels the compressed air up the probe,behind the bb to send it on its way.
    I will take a photo of a plunger assy later on and post it on here so that you can see what it looks like.
    Pete.

plunger assy.

Mick,
    Here are the links to some Daisy model 25 innards to describe what your King rifle parts will look like and how it operates.
    First pic is of the plunger assembly and its relationship to the inner barrel. The parts are similar to yours but will differ with regards to the inner barrel, as this one is not gravity fed but has a spring loaded bb tube alongside the actual bore. But the application is the same as your rifle.

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj9qgpt9wy...04.39.jpg?dl=0

Pic 2 is of the bb probe on its own ( separated from the plunger).
    2.https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh6qxitvbh....06-1.jpg?dl=0

Pic 3 is of the bb probe and its relationship with the plunger assembly when fitted. I believe the bb probe on your rifle is broken off.

Pic 3.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjb2ftxcr1....19-1.jpg?dl=0

Hope this helps.
    Pete.

It would seem that the probe is what was stuck in the barrel having broken off from the piston head.
    I have looked down the barrel and there is nothing on the end of the piston.
    The probe is now out of the tube. I guess this is not repairable as it looks like the spring assembly is riveted into the gun and is it possible to buy replacement probes for these?

Mick,
    No replacement probes I am afraid. Even in America after 80 years you will have great difficulty finding spares. The bb gun in USA was essentially a throw away item if it broke. These probes rarely break unless unsuitable/ wrong size bbs have been used.
    I could repair it for you ( probably) if you can email me some photos of the rifle. Good quality pics especially of the top of the action and barrel. But I am in Telford,Shropshire. Where are you....? If you can deliver it or post I am pretty sure I can repair it, but I need the photos first.
    Pete.