Thread: King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun - info need on how it works

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun - info need on how it works

Hi
    I have just acquired a King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun model 2136. It seems to have decent pressure and its quite hard to cock ( its almost exactly like a daisy) using the under lever.

The end of the barrel unscrews and a rod with a seal and a spoon type pressing is all part of this. The centre rod is a tube from which I suspect the projectile fires out of?

At the top of the barrel at the front end is a whole where you can press down on the spoon pressing??

I have tried to fit a .177 lead bb into the tube but it is too small?

Has anyone got any idea how these work or can send me a link to instructions?

Would love to get it going.

From some research it seem to be dated 1936 to 41 when they stopped making them and they all became Daisy guns.

Regards

Mick

Mick,
    You screw the barrel all the way into the rifle, then unscrew it half a turn or so until the 'spoon' as you call it uncovers the hole in the outer barrel. Then you pour in your 500 bb's ,then screw the barrel back in until the loading hole is covered up ( to prevent the bb's falling out). The bb's are held in the outer barrel tube.
    Now when you cock the rifle with the underlever one bb is loaded into the barrel and held there by either the fit of the bb in the tapered breech or by a wire clip,depending on exact year of manufacture.
    The rifle is gravity fed so you must point the muzzle upwards whilst cocking it to allow a bb to feed into the breech. Sometimes give the rifle a little shake to help the bb roll into position in the breech.
    Oh, don't actually load all 500 bbs into the rifle, just a couple of hundred tops...to allow them room to move around.....it helps with loading.
    Also......these rifles were not .177 calibre but .175 ( as all true bb guns are). You should be using H&N 4.4 mm lead bb's in this rifle or.......modern steel bb which although may be marked as .177 on the box are actually .175.
    I will have a look through my literature and try to find the date when they switched from using lead to steel bb ,and get back to you.

Pete.
    Pete

steel/ lead bb

Mick,
    I looked in my reference book. 1925 saw the change over from lead bb's to steel, but obviously there will be a change over period.
    To tell which type of bb Your King should use, unscrew the inner barrel completely and look at the breech end...
    If there is a small curved wire clip in place then you should use modern steel bb. If there is no clip then you should use the H&N 4.4mm copper coated lead ones. Do NOT use steel bb in the early type rifle as you will have jamms and will damage the bb probe on the end of the piston that pushes the bb up the bore.
    If you need further help you can email me some good quality pictures of the rifle and especially the inner barrel/ shot tube.
    Pete.

modern BB usually okay in older guns

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Mick,
    I looked in my reference book. 1925 saw the change over from lead bb's to steel, but obviously there will be a change over period.
    To tell which type of bb Your King should use, unscrew the inner barrel completely and look at the breech end...
    If there is a small curved wire clip in place then you should use modern steel bb. If there is no clip then you should use the H&N 4.4mm copper coated lead ones. Do NOT use steel bb in the early type rifle as you will have jamms and will damage the bb probe on the end of the piston that pushes the bb up the bore.
    If you need further help you can email me some good quality pictures of the rifle and especially the inner barrel/ shot tube.
    Pete.
    The only reason not to use modern steel BB's in one intended for Lead Air Rifle Shot (the proper American term for early lead BBs) is that they will roll out the barrel, that's the only reason for the wire clip. The story about steel BBs causing damage is most company propaganda about irregular steel shot damaging guns which is no longer an issue. And, don't shoot your eye out! Not a joke really. Always wear protective eyewear when shooting steel BBs They ricochet.

Regarding Lead Air Rifle Shot: still possible to find filled tubes on .
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 29-12-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Good advice from Dean ,and he should know being brought up in the land of the bb gun.

Pete.

Hi all - this is great information!
    I think I have the spring clip.The tube has a thread at the end with a plate that wraps round the tube - looks like a guide for the bbs with a wire (spring) underneath. I would like to post pics but not sure how. Does this sound like the lead version?
    are the bb pellets easy to get for this?
    Really looking forward to giving it a go ( it is a present for my son but I'll get just as much fun out of it!)
    cheers Mick