Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King manufacturing co 500 shot bb gun - info need on how it works

Further to Dean's comments-love that 600!

Brilliant. Thanks Trev.

Pete.

Air Rifle Inner Barrel Co.

Trev, was not aware of the newspaper ad for the Air Rifle Inner Barrel Co. Pretty nice. As I think you may already know, there are no known examples of the Inner Barrels or tubes of the special sub-caliber Inner Barrel shot.

It's another example of the W.R. Benjamin method of operation. Come up with a new idea. Patent it. Manufacture it on a small scale. Advertise it. With any luck, sell it off to a larger company for some up front cash and royalties.

A slight tangent on this, one of my favorite W.R. Benjamin patents is the one for a special method of attaching the Inner Barrels onto a BB gun. What I find to be a marvel is the design of the air gun shown in this patent. It's a fully updated Model F. It includes an easy and cheap to replace standard "Schrader" check valve and other updates. It tells us that W.R. never lost the desire to design air guns. I only wish that some handy mechanic would use this patent as a design model and bring the "last" Benjamin to life.

Fascinating literature on the Benjamin's - trouble with collecting is its difficult to know where to draw the boundaries. I've still got a hankering for a military bb rifle and I'm even drawn to the crosman M1 carbine.......ah well let's see what 2015 brings through the door!

M-1

Quote Originally Posted by wsmk2 View Post
    Fascinating literature on the Benjamin's - trouble with collecting is its difficult to know where to draw the boundaries. I've still got a hankering for a military bb rifle and I'm even drawn to the crosman M1 carbine.......ah well let's see what 2015 brings through the door!
    The M-1, especially the wood-stocked version, is great!

The other great Crosman BB guns are the Hahn 45 and the Model 166 "Super Repeater" The Super Repeater gets my vote for one of the best all-time BB guns. Fun, fun, fun as fast as you can operate the lever action.

inside a 75 year old bb gun....

So .....inside wsmk2's King 500 shot bb gun......
    Arrived this morning, so took 20 minutes break from housework ( don't ask ), to strip it down and have a look
    I already knew that the bb probe was detached/ broken, and I expected to find a knackered leather piston seal,and I wasn't dissapointed.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkb3cicqfq...48.22.jpg?dl=0

All original innards but the probe has broken away from the piston head. See the hexagon shaped washer ( lower centre in the pic).the probe should be attached to that then that washer is crimped onto the piston head body pin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnxcy6o0qe....22-1.jpg?dl=0

Watch this space.......

Pete.

It looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    So .....inside wsmk2's King 500 shot bb gun......
    Arrived this morning, so took 20 minutes break from housework ( don't ask ), to strip it down and have a look
    I already knew that the bb probe was detached/ broken, and I expected to find a knackered leather piston seal,and I wasn't dissapointed.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkb3cicqfq...48.22.jpg?dl=0

All original innards but the probe has broken away from the piston head. See the hexagon shaped washer ( lower centre in the pic).the probe should be attached to that then that washer is crimped onto the piston head body pin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnxcy6o0qe....22-1.jpg?dl=0

Watch this space.......

Pete.
    I would venture to guess that you have all the pieces. Getting any sort of a replacement is all but impossible for the older BB guns.

BB guns of that era were made a lot better than later ones. So, at least you have some quality bits and pieces to work with. Replace the leather seal, clean up and reinstall the probe (somehow) and give her a try. Can't hurt it anymore than it is already.

The restoration is underway........in between my housework duties......you know how it is chaps.
    Should have it done by the end of next week.
    Pete.

its working!

Pete has worked wonders on this old bb King rifle!

Working really well and given it a new lease of life.

Thanks Pete and all those who helped out with information and advice.

Cheers all.