Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New air pistol recommendations

New air pistol recommendations

I'm after buying an air pistol. I have never owned a pistol so would like recommendations please.

I'm leaning towards the hw45 at the minute.

Any info would be great

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Why the HW45? I have one, they're Great! But would i have one as my first/only pistol? No!

They're not as powerful as they ought to be, not very easy to use and expensive. A crosman 2240 is more powerful, more accurate and one third of the price. A Swiss Arms Colt 1911 is more realistic and much more fun to use. The list goes on.

What do you want from a pistol?
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Why the HW45? I have one, they're Great! But would i have one as my first/only pistol? No!

They're not as powerful as they ought to be, not very easy to use and expensive. A crosman 2240 is more powerful, more accurate and one third of the price. A Swiss Arms Colt 1911 is more realistic and much more fun to use. The list goes on.

Cant say any better then that really..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Jonza View Post
    I'm after buying an air pistol. I have never owned a pistol so would like recommendations please.

I'm leaning towards the hw45 at the minute.

Any info would be great

It's probably worth stating what you intend to use the pistol for and what your requirements are.It will make it easier for people to offer advice.

That said,the Crosman 2240,though is a good recommendation.It's the ideal balance of power,(right up to our puny,emasculating 6ftlb limit)!,accuracy and price, plus it can be extensively modded to suit any personal taste!

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 30-12-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

This ^^^^

It all depends on what you want / like.

If the HW45 is wrong for you, the HW40 is a good value SSP pistol.

For a lot more money, the HW75 is fairly awesome if you keep some lubengruben on the pumpenstaufen.

Webley Alectro has a lot of fans. 3 power levels. No recoil.

It's handy to be able to hit things with a pistol, which is where the HW45 often fails in the hands of impatient people whom want to hit a match box every time at 30 yards.

Soup tins at 6, 10, 15, 20 yards is more like it. Better than that requires an investment in time and effort learning a bit of technique. Usually

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    This ^^^^

It all depends on what you want / like.

If the HW45 is wrong for you, the HW40 is a good value SSP pistol.

For a lot the HW75 is fairly awesome if you keep some lubengruben on the pumpenstaufen.

Webley Alectro has a lot of fans. 3 power levels. No recoil.

It's handy to be able to hit things with a pistol, which is where the HW45 often fails in the hands of impatient people whom want to hit a match box every time at 30 yards.

Soup tins at 6, 10, 15, 20 yards is more like it. Better than that requires an investment in time and effort learning a bit of technique. Usually
    I would agree on the Hw75, Straight out of the box its quality shines, easy to use, not at all intimidating and very accurate. I love mine. Umarex Walther cp88 c02. Brilliant. I own both of these

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    I would agree on the Hw75, Straight out of the box its quality shines, easy to use, not at all intimidating and very accurate. [...]
    Well said I can shoot equal scores with my '75 compared with the IZH-46 which is a much more focused target pistol with big match sights and anatomical grip...

I'm thinking of having a match grip and sights grafted on the '75, it's that good... I think the quality trigger is a big plus point (which is also probably the biggest plus on the HW45).

But, because of the very low power of the HW75 (mine does just 375 fps / 2.50 fpe with Bisley Practice pellets), I find it hasn't got the flexibility / fun factor of longer range outdoor pistol shooting with something more parrful.

As said, it depends what the OP wants from a pistol

The HW 75 fails the Gingernut -'how many things do you need to do before it fires '-test.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The HW 75 fails the Gingernut -'how many things do you need to do before it fires '-test.
    Must admit that is the one thing that has put me off the HW 75, having to cock the hammer to fire. My other SSPs are ready once the top is closed. I guess it's not a problem once used to it, and the bonus is the hammer provides the dry fire feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    For a lot more money, the HW75 is fairly awesome if you keep some lubengruben on the pumpenstaufen.
    This is a must, occasional spot of oil via the air intake hole on pneumatics. I recently bought a used SSP which was leaking when pumped. I stripped the air valve down to find the o-rings and spring was dry as a bone. Cleaned and lubricated it - no leaks - simples.

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    HW40 matey, cant fault it
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    HW40 matey, cant fault it
    Oh yeah... it's amazing how thoroughly you thrashed me in the MPL with that £̶8̶0̶ ̶p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶s̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶p̶ darned fine pistol.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 30-12-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Agreed the HW40 is excellent and great value, the trigger is better than on pistols costing two to three times the cost (Gamo Compact, Webley Alecto), granted other pistols have other benefits (grip shape/power). Mine is the later model with Tru Glow sights, which at first I thought were great in low light, but I am now more accustomed to plain sights so might give it a try with tape over the Tru Glow elements.

The auto safety is a pain if used to using pistols with manual or no safety, but OK once you remember it is there

Thanks for the advice. I'm just after a pistol for plinking in the back garden up to a distance of about 20 yards. I like the sound of the crossman and webley but thought hw45 as I swear by the hw100 so thought I go with a name I trust.

So advice is stay away from a hw45?

Thanks for the replys, I'm after a plonked for the back garden up to a range of 20 yards.
    Love the look of the webley Alecto mind!!