Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New air pistol recommendations

springer = hw45
    single stroke pneumatic =hw 75
    co2 = s&w 6 inch or walther cp88 comp
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Fiddle factor aside, Is there anything to beat the accuracy of the Hw75?
    Granted, I know its not the most glamorous pistol out there, but for build and quality, it is equally as nice as the Hw 45.

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Fiddle factor aside, Is there anything to beat the accuracy of the Hw75?
    Granted, I know its not the most glamorous pistol out there, but for build and quality, it is equally as nice as the Hw 45.

I may get some flack for this......

The standard HW45 feels poorly proportioned with the standard grips and rather top heavy.
    However, you do have the option of a gazillion 1911 grips to swap onto it.
    Although only large wrappy ones will make it look more well proportioned.
    The Silver/black-star versions feel nicer and the larger grip gives a more balanced feel, but still a little top heavy.

The HW75 is a little lighter (100g less than the star model 45s) and the weight feels more evenly spread (due to the lighter power-plant).
    The grips and configuration are basically the same layout as the silver/black-star (although not interchangeable apparently).
    The power is less than the 45 series, but the accuracy is hard to ignore.
    The hammer is functional as opposed to the one on the 45 which is a catch to release the slide/overcocking lever.
    The iron sights on the 75 don't have any dayglo sillyness spoiling them.
    The hammer is steel and functional, which is enormously satisfying when shooting.

Enough has been said about the trigger. It's fabulous.

The 75 is a complete doddle to shoot. Very simple point and click interface

The quality on all is very good generally, but a visual inspection is advised, especially the edges of castings on the body and slide and look for any problems with the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky-power View Post
    I may get some flack for this......
    Not from me... you are spot on IMHO

I like the standard '45 a lot better with an aftermarket Pachmayer rubber wrap-around grip fitted. But it feels/is a hellova big pistol.

Not tried a black/silver star, but the '75 feels a lot lighter in the hand vs the top-heavy standard '45.

And for me, both need the safety lever removed on the trigger finger side, otherwise my finger rubs annoyingly against it (easy job though, undo the screw, remove the lever and replace it with a small washer, refit the screw).

Slinky-power
    I cannot agree more with your sentiments,
    The 75 is the one pistol I never get bored of, If I didnt have one , I would go and buy one tomorrow!
    Ive owned mine for a couple of years and it is such a joy to shoot, sure I have a couple of other pistols, but one thing other than the quality of the Hw75 stands out. It is FAR more accurate than I ever will be !

Another one for HW4O great pistol use it regular shooting at my bell target and it rings it quite alot , out of interest how powerfull is the 75 thought it was the same as the 4O ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Just bought a HW40 and love it in .177. Shoots much easier than my 30plus year old Webley Premier in .22 which has only hd very very light use

Webley Alecto

I like the look of the Alecto. Never really considered the hw75 but will have a look at it on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Another one for HW4O great pistol use it regular shooting at my bell target and it rings it quite alot , out of interest how powerfull is the 75 thought it was the same as the 4O ATB Mike
    Never considered the hw40 or hw75. Will have a look on YouTube for some reviews

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    According to the HW website tech specs, the HW75 is 125 m/s, which is the same as the 45 (all models) in .177 at 1st position and the hw70.
    The HW40 in .177 is said to be 122 m/s.
    http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/seiten...Luftpistolen_d

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Slinky-power
    I cannot agree more with your sentiments,
    The 75 is the one pistol I never get bored of, If I didnt have one , I would go and buy one tomorrow!
    Ive owned mine for a couple of years and it is such a joy to shoot, sure I have a couple of other pistols, but one thing other than the quality of the Hw75 stands out. It is FAR more accurate than I ever will be !
    It just makes it so easy to shoot well!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Not from me... you are spot on IMHO

I like the standard '45 a lot better with an aftermarket Pachmayer rubber wrap-around grip fitted. But it feels/is a hellova big pistol.

Not tried a black/silver star, but the '75 feels a lot lighter in the hand vs the top-heavy standard '45.

And for me, both need the safety lever removed on the trigger finger side, otherwise my finger rubs annoyingly against it (easy job though, undo the screw, remove the lever and replace it with a small washer, refit the screw).
    That is a FINE looking HW45!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Think I need to get myself on YouTube and watch a few reviews. Thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Agreed the HW40 is excellent and great value, the trigger is better than on pistols costing two to three times the cost (Gamo Compact, Webley Alecto), granted other pistols have other benefits (grip shape/power). Mine is the later model with Tru Glow sights, which at first I thought were great in low light, but I am now more accustomed to plain sights so might give it a try with tape over the Tru Glow elements.

The auto safety is a pain if used to using pistols with manual or no safety, but OK once you remember it is there
    Might I suggest Flat black acrylic to paint over the fiber optics (just paint on the dots you can see.) See my post about removing the safety switch on the HW40/ P17's, Luxury! ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky-power View Post
    That is a FINE looking HW45!!!!!!
    An old skool model. I swear they were heavier in the old days.