Thread: Gamo whisper IGT .177

Gamo whisper IGT .177

Picked up one of these cheap just to own a gas ram again, since I sadly had to let my Evo go during an expensive divorce! I wasn't expecting much and when I first picked it up with its plastic stock and plastic coated barrel, my expectations were going downhill. It's looks are bordering on the ridiculous, not a good start! I took it straight to my club, ready to have the pee taken out of me. With a cheapy scope mounted, I cocked for the first time. Nice solid breech, obviously smooth to cock, loaded a h&n Ftt power, copper coated pellet, took aim 2nd stage release was clean with no creep and a quiet thud. The built in moderator clearly doing its job. After several shots, I was zeroed in at 25 yards. After a few more I was hitting spinners at 49 yards with ease, actually too easy!! 11.6fpe with 8fps extreme spread over 10 shots. Weight of a meteor, price of a night out! The recoil is more than manageable, great balance, so easy to use.
    Downsides are many....its a gamo for one. I don't expect anyone to rush out and buy one, but if you get chance of one at the right price give it a go you WILL be surprised.
    Going shooting tomorrow and with 17 others to choose from it's already out ready to go because it's so user friendly, like a pair of rigger boots at the back door.
    Peter

Sounds good

Quite often looked at these and thought they looked good sound like a nice rifle especially if your on a budget. Great price too

Cheers for posting this, Pete.

I've asked on here a few times with regards to Gamos and always very little response.

My thoughts often run to giving one of the spring versions a try, as a cheaper alternative, perceived user friendliness and less serious option to my many HWs, mainly for informal plinking.

I often tease myself with looking at the McAvoy site and his low prices on many Gamo models always seem very tempting. The models I'd be considering being the 440 Hunter (more traditional build) and the Whisper X, the latter being offered at just £108, I seem to remember.

Very very tempted for a more "casual, go-to" gun.

What are your thoughts on the plastic breech block on the Whisper as regards solidity / expected longevity?

You seem to see more information on these on the various US sites.

Again, many thanks for posting - sounds very promising and I hope the little gun continues to impress.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers for posting this, Pete.

I've asked on here a few times with regards to Gamos and always very little response.

My thoughts often run to giving one of the spring versions a try, as a cheaper alternative, perceived user friendliness and less serious option to my many HWs, mainly for informal plinking.

I often tease myself with looking at the McAvoy site and his low prices on many Gamo models always seem very tempting. The models I'd be considering being the 440 Hunter (more traditional build) and the Whisper X, the latter being offered at just £108, I seem to remember.

Very very tempted for a more "casual, go-to" gun.

What are your thoughts on the plastic breech block on the Whisper as regards solidity / expected longevity?

You seem to see more information on these on the various US sites.

Again, many thanks for posting - sounds very promising and I hope the little gun continues to impress.
    I also own a gamo CFR also known as a bsa Polaris but in synthetic. Main problem with gamo springers is the short cross shaped spring guide that causes twang and kinks the spring and generally makes the gun a dog. After making a extended spring guide sleeve from SS tubing and refitting with a cut down hatsan spring and removing the piston weight/top hat, I now have a super smooth underlever at full power in .177. Shame gamo cudnt do that in first place!!
    With regards to plastic breech block on my whisper, mine seems ok though I might be lucky as there doesn't seem to be any adjustment. I don't think they are built to be around in 20 years time but the price reflects this and represents modern disposable living. I'd still go for a IGt unless you are handy in the tinkering dept. I also think the Sat trigger is ok, again no prize winners but better than a lot around for more money. Shot around 100 through it today at the range and was again amazed at the 49 yard spinner hits, highly rate the copper coated h&n in .177. The Cfr loves jsb exact.

I havery one exactly the same, from new. I've flipped between loving and hating it throughout ownership. The cocking stroke is a lot heavier than any of my other springers. It's particularly hold sensitive, and the recoil has caused the Gamo scope that was supplied with it to rotate the reticle inside it.
    That said; it is challenging to shoot so gives a big smile when you get it right, the open sights are pretty good, and it's cheap and light enough that I would have no issue grabbing it for a spot of ratting in the rain. It's certainly not short on power, and the trigger is perfectly serviceable, better than some that I have tried. I actually quite like the looks, its different from most other stuff out there.
    From what I gather when I was looking for mine the igt is a better option than the spring in this particular rifle. The reviews I read suggested that the springer was twangy and inconsistent and didn't group well.
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

there was a Gammo Wisper advertised close to me last week, I looked at a lot of youtube reviews and there wasn't lot said against it, most of them were very encouraging in fact

I have been looking at buying a gas ram and have considered the Gamo Whisper IGT, The Stoeger X20S A-TAK and the Remington Thunderjet and Thundercepter. As said above, not many reviews on the Whisper IGT, or any of the above for that matter, apart from on the American YouTube channels for the Gamo Whisper, but they all seem quite positive in America for the Gamo. With price ranges of between £150 and £250 between all the above, the Gamo Whisper is definitely still on my radar as a potential purchase.