Thread: Alan Westlake Alfa .357 nitro muzzle loading revolver - strip and rebuild video

Alan Westlake Alfa .357 nitro muzzle loading revolver - strip and rebuild video

Howdy folks

For anyone with an Alan Westlake Alfa .357 nitro converted muzzle loading revolver.

I couldn't find a guide on how to strip this revolver, so I made one ;

http://youtu.be/Vge4J7nbthk

Video shows how to strip and rebuild the revolver, useful if you want to do a deep clean, adjust the trigger, or are a nosey git who likes poking around stuff, like me.

Cheers!
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

Video

I came across your video on the Alfa the other day... it's really good.

Well done!

I liked the way you de-tensioned the spring by moving the hammer.
    I had spotted it but the spring loaded hand plunger built into the side plate (that needs to be held back) would be easy to miss.

I tuned the trigger pull on my Alfa and reduced the mainspring power... it is now much better that when I got it.

Given ther is no Herco around, a load video / accuracy report would be really welcomed.
    Best loas so far is 4.5 grains of Blue dot with H&N 148 Gold HBWC bullet, but more work to be done.

Could I ask by how much you reduced the mainspring power? Guess you took a few coils off the spring or collapsed a few?

I'll get an accurracy / range report together as soon as I can organise a proper session, have to sort out a chronograph with works under the range lighting first. I have Herco and Blue Dot to work with, so it should be interesting.
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post

or are a nosey git who likes poking around stuff, like me.
    Thats me...!

Thanks for this, I have only had mine a couple of months and it's getting close to a deep clean time, so this is just in time and very helpful.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

Alfa..

Re the Mainspring, I reduced by two turns.. and no misfires result.

As I mentioend, iof yiou reduce it too much the trigger drage forward too fast / to strongly due to the fairly powerful trigger spring.

With 148gn H&N HBWC, here are some chrono results with Unique powder...
    Warning: These loads would be unsafe to fire with flat base bullet due to the reduced effective "case" volume.

3.7gns Unique averaged 850 fps
    3.3gns Unique averaged 766fps (most accurate load)
    3.1 gns Unique averaged 696 fps

I will do chrono tests with Blue dot next time I'm at the range andf post these when I have them.