Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: projects for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Hoping to get my 97K MB back from VMach in the next few months and then get my HW80 MK1 reblued and tuned and funny enough get my .20 cal Tommy finished. Mach 1.5
    The mark 1 hw 80, know your talking mines an airgun centre custum I got for my 18th and its still going strong, allways felt that the mark 1 stock looked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Hoping to get my 97K MB back from VMach in the next few months and then get my HW80 MK1 reblued and tuned and funny enough get my .20 cal Tommy finished. Mach 1.5

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    whats that sidelever at the top John?

It's an Air Arms Khamsin Donald

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

New project turned up a few hours ago from an old mate, a half decent Scorpion pistol, locked solid, probably the piston seal turned to cheese, It'll keep me amused while I build up some enthusiasm to get into the steam engines.
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    New project turned up a few hours ago from an old mate, a half decent Scorpion pistol, locked solid, probably the piston seal turned to cheese, It'll keep me amused while I build up some enthusiasm to get into the steam engines.
    Mel.
    Yes like the old Scorpian, but agree the plastic material used by BSA has an intresting ability to disintigrate enjoy

My first job this year is to try make something from a bit of a car crash of a diana34. Someone had painted the metal work! It's in bits at mo. The stock has now had small dent filled, t cutted it to get small scratches out then resin polished. Metal work At a friends now to get highly polished before re blue. Going to fit new piston head, titan spring, breech washer and top hat eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

Neat bit of kit! Good lesson to learn - next time you want to impress a woman make two.

Lol… If I want to impress her I’ll give her my old skateboard… Especially now as for some strange reason the rear axil is dragging the ground & it doesnt go very fast….. Thanks for the compliments though… At least now I can say "I've done a little soldering".

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by havengore View Post
    Lol… If I want to impress her I’ll give her my old skateboard… Especially now as for some strange reason the rear axil is dragging the ground & it doesnt go very fast….. Thanks for the compliments though… At least now I can say "I've done a little soldering".
    That's no way to talk about her! None of us are getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    That's no way to talk about her! None of us are getting any younger.
    Ha-ha-ha… I would definitely get a slap if she thought I were referring to her rear end dragging…. lol

You are putting me to shame guys. Ok projects when money allows, re-seal my Daisy 717 pistol by sending to Laurie, then with help get my Bausch and Lomb scope set up on my Daystate Huntsman FTR. Next dust off my Mark 1 HW80 airgun centre custum in .22 and fit it up with one of my Optima scopes from the period, or possibly my Tasco 1.75-5x40, then again when cash allows pass my Bsa Airsporter S series 1 in .22, my Airsporter Stutzen allso in .22 to Welsh Willi for some overdue tlc and finally my series 2 Mercurey s in .177 again fit it with an Optima scope I have spare here and pass to my mates daughter on long tearm loan has shes fallen in love with the rifle.

I think my current project pales into insignificance compared with some ... but:
    Bringing a delightful HW55T back upto spec. Dear daughter Anne (what a treasure she is) presented me with an excellent condition 55T for Christmas. A test showed it was tired ... about 300fps but delightful to shoot. No breech leaks and a strip showed the leather piston seal to be (possibly) new and in excellent order. So culprit was the spring. From spring dimensions it was most likely original but I did not have an exact match. I had a 'tired' virtually identical one that was a few coils longer but that made negligible impression on the output. So I fitted a shortened, partially tired, HW77 spring and performance is back to spec, possibly a little over. So I thought I should get a OE spring (2.75mm dia wire, 32 coils, 19.9 / 20.0 od, 14.2 id). A Tital No 7 is listed as a replacement but I approached it warily and found the id was too small for the steel spring guide so I resisted temptation. Maybe just as well. Yes, I could have sorted the spring guide issue or made another one but I like these old treasures to be as original as possible so wanted to retain the 'steel cross' guide. So I have ordered what I hope will be two standard spec springs from Germany ... strangely works out about same price as a UK purchase as the Euro has fallen recently ... Chambers were out of stock and Knibbs did not list them. I hope to restore this litttle beauty to original, virtually recoiless, operation. Just for fun, of course.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I think my current project pales into insignificance compared with some ... but:
    Bringing a delightful HW55T back upto spec. Dear daughter Anne (what a treasure she is) presented me with an excellent condition 55T for Christmas. A test showed it was tired ... about 300fps but delightful to shoot. No breech leaks and a strip showed the leather piston seal to be (possibly) new and in excellent order. So culprit was the spring. From spring dimensions it was most likely original but I did not have an exact match. I had a 'tired' virtually identical one that was a few coils longer but that made negligible impression on the output. So I fitted a shortened, partially tired, HW77 spring and performance is back to spec, possibly a little over. So I thought I should get a OE spring (2.75mm dia wire, 32 coils, 19.9 / 20.0 od, 14.2 id). A Tital No 7 is listed as a replacement but I approached it warily and found the id was too small for the steel spring guide so I resisted temptation. Maybe just as well. Yes, I could have sorted the spring guide issue or made another one but I like these old treasures to be as original as possible so wanted to retain the 'steel cross' guide. So I have ordered what I hope will be two standard spec springs from Germany ... strangely works out about same price as a UK purchase as the Euro has fallen recently ... Chambers were out of stock and Knibbs did not list them. I hope to restore this litttle beauty to original, virtually recoiless, operation. Just for fun, of course.

Cheers, Phil
    love the 55t , got one of here 2 years back. It took me nearly 33 years to get one and afford one but it was worth the waiting first saw and shoot one has a 14 year old and fell in love with it but then due to my dads early death money was non existent. So I allways promissed myself one day and that day came back 2 years. Its a true work of art and the stock is made by a person not a machine and it shows. Enjoy Phill and thanks for your inputt.

Thumbs up

I was put on to a mk1 HW80 by a mate, it was rusty as buggery but only £60, it had both open sights and a li'l Nikko 4x32 scope too!! (I suz robbed tho' as there was no slip!! )

Anyhow, a chap on Facebook said he could get it Hot chemically reblued (Or reblacked) cheaply so I stripped the gun and set about removing steel until the deepest pitting was gone!! (shifted a lot of of material!!)

Pics..

As it was when I collected it..

After much slack belt grinding then hand rubbing with ally oxide paper..

As I brought it back from the reblue (I dropped the polished parts off at 10.30 and picked them up at 14.30 )

First time i've had a 'proper' job done and can't believe the difference!!

I can't rebuild it yet as the blacking from inside the cylinder needs removing and the 1/2" dowel with the split to take emery cloth has vanished!! (Made loads over the years for cross hatching and can't find one!! So it's off to B&Q in the morning for some more!!

Can't wait to get it back together!!

PS, sorry about a couple of the pics, the light was dipping as it was getting late on in the day

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I was put on to a mk1 HW80 by a mate, it was rusty as buggery but only £60, it had both open sights and a li'l Nikko 4x32 scope too!! (I suz robbed tho' as there was no slip!! )

Anyhow, a chap on Facebook said he could get it Hot chemically reblued (Or reblacked) cheaply so I stripped the gun and set about removing steel until the deepest pitting was gone!! (shifted a lot of of material!!)

Pics..

As it was when I collected it..

After much slack belt grinding then hand rubbing with ally oxide paper..

As I brought it back from the reblue (I dropped the polished parts off at 10.30 and picked them up at 14.30 )

First time i've had a 'proper' job done and can't believe the difference!!

I can't rebuild it yet as the blacking from inside the cylinder needs removing and the 1/2" dowel with the split to take emery cloth has vanished!! (Made loads over the years for cross hatching and can't find one!! So it's off to B&Q in the morning for some more!!

Can't wait to get it back together!!

PS, sorry about a couple of the pics, the light was dipping as it was getting late on in the day

John
    John

There is nothing to be gained by removing the blacking from inside the cylinder.

Dimensionally it's identical it's just black.

Rich

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    John

There is nothing to be gained by removing the blacking from inside the cylinder.

Dimensionally it's identical it's just black.

Rich
    Ahh!

Thanks RIch

I just recalled reading something once that said thet the blueing in the cylinder can cause friction and impede the free travel of the piston and that clean steel was preferrable

Can't remember where I read it though!!

John