Thread: Hawke sidewinder 30 sf 6-24x56 20x mil dot

Hawke sidewinder 30 sf 6-24x56 20x mil dot

i was looking for a new scope as my targetmaster 10-50x60 was too much for me as I'm getting back into my hunting again and not just paper punching.
    The hawke fitted the bill perfect with 10% off and with lower mag but still enough at the top end for long range pellet placement.

The scope comes in a nice hard case that is handy if ever not using the scope or even just to use for storing other odds and ends..The scope comes with sunshade,scope screw in covers,cloth,battery,allen keys,side wheel and instructions..

The scope itself is robust and solid with good clear optics.I tested it against my nikko target master @24 magnification and i would say the hawke is a bit sharper @ the tested 25 yards..The reticle is really fine and at the 25 yard mark the crosshair fits inside a .177 pellet hole @24 mag where as my last scope covered it..The most impressive thing for me is the scopes turrets they feel really good with nice positive click to the adjustment..The turrets are easy to reset to zero with the included allen torq..I tested the scopes tracking after zeroing it from zero i went 6 moa up 3 shots 6 moa left 3 shots 6moa down 3shots the 6 moa to the right and the 3 shots were bang on the zero as before..The reticle offers plenty of aim points for elevation and windage..To use the reticle to its full potential i need more time at the range and on chairgun to see what dots correspond at what range

the only thing i don't like about the whole scope package is the screw in turrets as the objective cover can be a bit difficult to catch the correct thread would have been better if they had flip up covers instead but thats just a personal opinion
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

review

Thanks for the review, I'll be looking at the Hawke sidewinder range for my next scope. What do you think of the value for money overall?

Yeah, have to agree, thanks for the review. I use a tac 30 for Hft and am pretty happy with it.
    I prefer the range to chairgun though
    Cheers

I'm going to look at one of these myself, just sent an MTC Genesis back as I wasn't happy

thanks for the review, i literally bought one about 4 hours ago, exact same model too!
    I didnt get much chance to test it in the shop, but everything looked really clear, no noticeable blurring or naughtyness as i went through the zoom range.
    Feels like a nice bit of kit, i did a bit of reading before buying it as it was quite expensive (389 with mounts), a fair amount more than i had paid before for a scope, but its going on a .223 so worth spending a bit more i thought!

I agree on the lens caps, they are a bit fiddly to get going and not cross threaded, objective more so.
    Hopefully i will get out and play with it soon.

Incidentally, its really easy to set up on chairgun or the hawke ballistic calculator, it does all the work for you if you know the specs of the ammo you are using, it will even print you out a little card for the scope caps (if you have them) with all the mil dot distances.
    Good Deals: Chief Wiggum, sniper-wolf, Brianf51, Fordy, Maffs, Sgibbar
    .177 Falcon FN-12 Thumbhole. CZ 452 .17 custom, Air Arms S400T

Yeah good review there. I got a 6-24x56 half-mildot x20 for my FAC Rapid and I must say the clarity is absolutely stunning!

thanks

useful, thanks as i've got my eyes on one of these

Well I have just bought another one of these scopes as the first one I got just does what you need it to...hawke must have revised a few things now it doesn't come with the hard case what isn't a big deal as it just gets used to keep junk in buut the best thing is now they have added flip up covers as standard ( great move hawke)

So if you want the flip up covers make sure and ask for the latest version that is not in the hard case but the card board box....
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

They are very good scopes, I've had mine for over a year and never had a problem

Thanks for the review am in the process of upgrading my scope

Have one on a .223 Howa Varmint rig.
    Greys at 200 M no problem.
    Designer of BASC Logo

After much research....I think that this is the scope i'm going to go for Though in 42mm instead of 56mm....
    I want to get a pretty decent scope from the outset! It might be on the higher side of what i was looking to pay for a scope....but i don't really want to be upgrading after 6 months or so and wasting money....so want to get it right first time!
    I've watched quite a few youtube reviews and only seen good things about the scope

just put one of these on my .22lr , had a lovely Nikon prostaf 3-9 but wanted a little more mag for long range shooting and this was on a bsa r10 I bought, I really like hawkes and they suit my eyes better than similar priced scopes , mtc , nikkos etc. Thought I would try it on my annie , a bit ott if being honest but on 12 mag with a 50 yard zero and the hawke ballistic converter its great , lovely glass and great ret and so far its superb , would like the 42 version too
    rgds
    craig

just reading this review as its on the first page, I'm considering one for my FAC rapid, how well has the sidewinder stood up to 30 months use?

I have one of these and they are very good.