Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat among the pigeons?

Webley v Walther

I think that both pistols are superbly made but the Walther just edges it and is also the more attractive pistol IMO

Two big differences between the 2 pistols are the trigger pull/shootability and sights.

The LP53 has a nice crisp predictable 2nd stage let off that on mine is around 600grms. This is fine for target shooting.

However all Seniors that I have owned have had stiff dragging/creepy trigger pulls that really let them down and you have to work very hard to get decent groups even at short range. It also spoils the enjoyment in using the pistol.

The Premier addressed this issue with adjustment on sear overlap (like Mk1) but the Seniors (non adjustable) sliding sear trigger design was quite crude.

John
    hold me back !!

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Tinners, couldn't really see Bond asking for a pasty at the table in Monte Carlo. The crumbs in the bed would have been a real turn off for the ladies as well. Bang on with the rugged good looks though.

Dave

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    ...... The crumbs in the bed would have been a real turn off for the ladies as well........
    Lure them in with chips, keep them there with pasties!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I'll pass it onto my son when he's old enough.

Dave

Thumbs up

I have both and of the two I much prefer the feel/quality of the Webley, No aluminium or Monkey metal is used but I reckon the Walther is more accurate...

As already said, The Walther design had been done before, I'm pretty sure the Webley was an original design, Improved from the the Mk1 pistol (May be wrong though but I can't recall another overlever pistol made before the Webleys!)

My fave pistol!!

Closer

It's in my favourite Girly cal too!!

I have another Senior coming on wednesday too

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I don't get a favourite pistol which is not as accurate as another?
    Do you have a guitar that you prefer but keeps going out of tune?

I say this in a caring way seeking to understand the Webley Bug.

I may be a Philistine but my favourite pistols are the most accurate ones.

The LP53 should be the better pistol (on paper at least) if they cost twice as much as Webleys at the time of original retail sale.

Some of my favourite pistols are less accurate than some other pistols I own. I own an HW45 but find it very ugly to look at and out of proportion. I also find it soulless and boring to shoot, though it is well made and accurate. I've somehow never taken to it like I've taken to the other pistols that I own. I'd much rather shoot one of my Webleys, BSAs or Hy-Scores, or a Record or Baikal than the HW45, they're just more fun, and more satisfying to shoot than the 45. I own a Webley Mk1, Senior and Premier, a couple of Nemesis pistols and a couple of Tempests, my favourite pistol and the one I shoot most often is a Tempest.

I'm surprised the Walther has got such a fair hearing in this thread. I thought the rugged, manly, feel-that-knurling-dig-in-your-palm qualities of the Senior would have trumped the ladylike cock-me-with-a-bit-of-wood-over-that-nasty-sharp-front-sight appeal of the Walther.

So what if the Walther is more accurate? If it takes using 'modern alloys' (which are little better than tough plastic) and 'adjustable triggers' to get there, then I'll take the Senior's heavy trigger and solid steel frame any day.

* Felix gunner's thread may have come at an unfortunate time for the Senior's reputation...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I don't get a favourite pistol which is not as accurate as another?
    Do you have a guitar that you prefer but keeps going out of tune?

I say this in a caring way seeking to understand the Webley Bug.

I may be a Philistine but my favourite pistols are the most accurate ones.

I can't shoot for toffee so it makes no difference to me!!

I think the Webley looks nicer and is better made, maybe an inherently less accurate design but I still prefer it!!

EDIT- Forgot to say that i'm surmising that the walther is more accurate (from what i've read) as the rearsight is inoperable on mine, the threads in the soft ally are shot!!

EDIT Number two!!- I fired both at a can yesterday, The walther was very low powered and hardly dented the can but the webley went through and dented the other side..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Is now a good time to ask about the LP2 and LP3?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Webley is vastly nicer in terms of the metal, but hopelessly outclassed in every parameter of performance. Like comparing a Vincent Black Shadow with a Honda CB750.