Thread: lyman lube heater

lyman lube heater

as per title, where is the best place in UK or Europe to get one of these,
    I would need the plate type for the older Lyman 450,
    or if any one has one lying in there garage, I would happily put it to use for them,
    thanks, T,

See if you can get a piece of 1/4" steel plate with enough room on it to mount the 450 on the front but leaving 5" at the back ,Then pick up an old electric iron (non steam) and place it on the free space on the plate behind the lubrisizer and it will heat up the whole thing including the lube stick's.

Yes. That is the cheapest option...use a travel iron for choice. But try someone like Hannam's Reloading who are the Lyman importer as a first off for mail order.

lyman

Hannams has them advertised for £60 ish,
    if they have any in stock I think just get one and save the hassle of drilling plates,
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,
    T

Hot Air

I use a hot air gun turned towards the lubsizer this works fin as you turn it off when its warn enough and cheap to buy!

lyman

that's a good idear,I think I have one in the garage somewhere,
    thanks,
    T

I have a Lyman 450 which I bought off someone on here called "TALL", ISTR. In the early days I did the hairdryer thing. Then I mounted it on an aly block drilled with a hole for a cheap heater from the Bay/china, which I switched on and off by hand to arrive at what seemed like a good temperature. I regularly ended up forgetting and leaving it on too long while sizing, by the time I twigged I'd have lube leaking out of every crack and getting under the bullet bases. Now I've gone the extra mile and made a second hole for the temp probe which is part of my lead pot PID setup, so I can just dial up 40C and forget it. Absolute luxury! I realize it sounds over the top and way too much effort, but having done it I now appreciate it at every use.
    AYA SLE 12b, Harrier FAC air, Sako Finnfire .22

Lyman

YOU should make a few up and market them,
    it sounds better than a lyman one,