Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rilfes evreyone else told you was crap and they wernt

rilfes evreyone else told you was crap and they wernt

i know, crap title for a thread but consider this one please. After a long break from the sport you return to find its all changed pcp,s are the way forward youre told. So which one you like the look of a couple but are told no there not the ones. A few years on and you relise that a lot of what you heard was hearesay and to be blunt crap. So we come to the rifles, one that really stands out is my MMC Bsa Ultra in .22 , at moment on loan to my good mates wife for shooting tree rats in there large garden. Poor shot count I was told, some 40 shots, when was the last time you A- saw 40 rabbits and b- shot 40 of them exactly pure bull shit , then my Logun Solo- Fx actually) .177 multi shot, I took the multi shot off and use it for f/t , on my first f/t club shot I got my highest score until called away to a domestic problem and never finished the course And lastly my Brocok Enigma Carbine again in the manly calibre of .22, weirauch barell this is the rarer carbine version, in all over black finish, its sexey and a delight to use, love the bolt action which clacks back and forth like my old remington pump action used to( sold it years ago and regret it) fitted with a resonable priced Hawke 3-9x50 its accurate and fun and would make a good hunter if I still hunted. Now has to springers lets use my Webley/Beeman C1 Carbine series 1 in .22 has an example. I last saw one when they were new circa 1986, just afore I left the sport, got this one off here from Kevin Ronnie and its a delight. I had Will Gerke fit the uprated triguer unit from Chambers and a mild tune and you have a fast handaling carbine that dose 11 ft lbs with air arms domes. Most have never seen one and this ones fitted with a period Optima Gamekeeper scope its different, fast handaling accurate and resonably powerful. So over to you guys.

Strange thing is I was looking through some records earlier this evening of what I have had over the years and what I have at present and came to the conclusion that one of my first pcps that i had which was a BSA single shot hornet was one of the best rifles I have had, one of the cheapest I have had, and one of the cheapest I have parted with, if I had just stayed with that back then I could have saved a fortune and an age of time and still be doing the same as I am now.... some of us call this a hobby

Fwb sport for me.

Heard & read many tales of crap triggers, bad barrel lock ups, plastic this plastic that, cracked stocks etc. Bought one on a nostalgic whim & got on with it from the off. Few months later, decided I fancied an lgu. So, I sold an hw80 I'd had for 20 years to fund one. Saw a venom tuned sport & ended up with 2 sports!

thanks for your inputt gents.

Hw57

When getting back into the sport a couple of years ago I fancied a HW57 in .177 because it was light weight and felt right in my shoulder. I was advised by quite a few people not to get one because' the loading ports don't align correctly with the breech' / 'the barrel is too thin and will bend' / 'they are twangy' etc.
    Utter trollop. After a mild tune it shot superbly,made full power ( but I detuned it slightly for hft), and was as accurate as any springer. I even won my first trophy with it last year and got the highest score of the day beating more experienced pcp shooters......nor bad for a pensioner with a crappy springer.!!!

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    When getting back into the sport a couple of years ago I fancied a HW57 in .177 because it was light weight and felt right in my shoulder. I was advised by quite a few people not to get one because' the loading ports don't align correctly with the breech' / 'the barrel is too thin and will bend' / 'they are twangy' etc.
    Utter trollop. After a mild tune it shot superbly,made full power ( but I detuned it slightly for hft), and was as accurate as any springer. I even won my first trophy with it last year and got the highest score of the day beating more experienced pcp shooters......nor bad for a pensioner with a crappy springer.!!!

Pete.
    100% , got one in .22. It was awful at first but some tlc and a tune by Will Gerke and its now a delight to use.Thanks for your inputt.

I think myself that one of the biggest problems is some one says a rifle is bad or some " celebritey" shooter uses brand x and fashion takes over At my own club at one time allmost the entire club had EV2,s 98% of them had the red finish, so in a rack how the hell could you tell the difference I cant be doing with fashion myself

Pete.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    100% , got one in .22. It was awful at first but some tlc and a tune by Will Gerke and its now a delight to use.Thanks for your inputt.
    So you both had to have them tuned because they were very twangy. And you probably had to fettle the loading ports. Unless you were lucky.

Everybody said Lightning XLs were crap, but I liked the weight and the stubby shroud, so I bought one, which was excellent. Since then I've owned 5 or 6, and exactly half of them were good, the other half were aweful (really bad, including dangerous triggers, or breech blocks grinding their way lop-sided by gouging steel from the breech jaws).

And the Logun S-16 ::vomit::

But back on topic, the AGS PCR1 I bought cheap as chips was surprisingly alright.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 09-01-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    What a coincidence, just received a 57 from moonshiner this morning. A mate of my son's has just started coming out with us and I bought this as one for him to borrow until he decides whether or not to invest. I've only had a single shot this morning with a random pellet from my "fell on the floor and can't be bothered to sort tin", open sights (as received) and 30 yds, straight into the target. Couldn't tell how close to the middle without a scope and I didn't want to get my slippers wet, but not bad, anyhow. It shoulders nicely, is very safe to load for an inexperienced shooter, and puts out good power for such a diminuitive little boinger.

Get's my vote.

BSA Ultra mmc, hated my son's, nothing wrong with the rifle other than the poxy mmc system. Absolute marmite, you either like it or you don't.

Stealth, read loads of crappy reviews, but my .25 has been superb and only replaced because I wanted a .25 multi.

Dave

thanks for your inputt guys.

rilfes-evryone-else-told-you-was-crap

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Strange thing is I was looking through some records earlier this evening of what I have had over the years and what I have at present and came to the conclusion that one of my first pcps that i had which was a BSA single shot hornet was one of the best rifles I have had, one of the cheapest I have had, and one of the cheapest I have parted with, if I had just stayed with that back then I could have saved a fortune and an age of time and still be doing the same as I am now.... some of us call this a hobby
    i agree totally on this one, I got a hornet ss carbine .177 from here last year & it's bowkett blueprinted too. Lovley little solidly built thing & deadly accurate. The brum built .22 supersport I had that had the stock re-finished in brown boot polish(I kid you not!) which after a little trigger tuning shot a ragged 10 shot group with open sights at 15m you could cover with a 1p coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    So you both had to have them tuned because they were very twangy. And you probably had to fettle the loading ports. Unless you were lucky.

Everybody said Lightning XLs were crap, but I liked the weight and the stubby shroud, so I bought one, which was excellent. Since then I've owned 5 or 6, and exactly half of them were good, the other half were aweful (really bad, including dangerous triggers, or breech blocks grinding their way lop-sided by gouging steel from the breech jaws).

And the Logun S-16 ::vomit::

But back on topic, the AGS PCR1 I bought cheap as chips was surprisingly alright.
    Most springers are 'twangy' out of the box, so don't tell me you have never done a light tune to sort that.
    The loading port needed nothing more than a polish and lube.
    Fabulous rifle and no one will convince me otherwise.
    Pete.

Most springers are 'twangy' out of the box, so don't tell me you have never done a light tune to sort that.
    The loading port needed nothing more than a polish and lube.
    Fabulous rifle and no one will convince me otherwise.
    Pete.
    100% with you on that.

Ok another one that springs to mind is my bam 40 I got from Lyn Lewington. Mines fitted in to a Lukasz Parsley custem laminate stock in grey huskey finish. Its that good that it fooled a good mate and top f/t shoter at my club who has shot for the air arms team. After adjusting the zero on the modest hawke 3-9x50 he procede3d to ring a bell on a post at 55 yards repeatedly. After the 10th succesive shot he turnded and said thats one hell of a well sorted TX his face when I told him what it was was a picture. Ok granted its been tunded by a talanted guy, but numeroues on here knock them having never seen one and certainly never shot one but hey dont let an oppinion get in the way of the facts shall we

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?