Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior Target Pistol advice needed

Junior Target Pistol advice needed

Hi,
    having gt back into more shooting I've got an 8m indoor area to shoot in and my 12 year old (nearly 13 as she keeps telling me) has now got really keen on her HW40 Weihrauch I bought her a couple of years ago as she's previously only been able to use it when we go away once a year camping.
    Trouble is she finds it really hard to cock so constantly has to keep passing me the pistol and I can see that although I'm there for safety she'd rather be able to load it herself.
    I like a gas ram or springer but wonder if there's anything else that would make a good target pistol as she is really keen to take up 10m target and I want to encourage it.
    Not to keen on PCP for reliance on a gas bottle although a multi shot would have it's advantages but really not keen on CO2.
    Any good advice on one that would take her through competitions (if she got to that standard) would be ideal.
    Thanks
    Mark

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    If your daughter is really serious about 10m target shooting, the ultimate destination is a PCP pistol. The Hammerli AP20 is lightweight, multi-adjustable and will take a Walther 3-axis wooden grip or a Rink custom grip at a later date. The compact pistols from Morini, Steyr, Benelli and Feinwerkbau are all serious match pistols and are lighter in weight, more suitable for junior shooters.

In terms of CO2, it is worth looking at Brno Aeron pistols as they are of alloy construction rather than the steel of the Tau-7 and are subsequently lighter.

Most springers or SSP demand a reasonable cocking effort which takes its toll during a 60 shot match; even Feinwerkbau 65, 80, 100 and 103 models can be hard work.

It would be worth making contact with a local club for advice, coaching and the opportunity to try different pistols.

I hope this is useful; please pm if you want details of the pistols I have mentioned - I will pass on links to you.
    ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

The Tau 7 junior is VERY good. It also uses 12gr bulbs so there's no hassle.
    Imo the Tau 7 jr is the ONLY real junior pistol out there (weighs about 750 grms!!). Others are just the fullsize with pistol smaller cilinders and/or shorter barrels fitted.
    If she's serious about target, than spring isnt a real option. Besides that, it'll probably give similar issues as with yr HW40. As will other SSP's.
    So imo, the best value for money is co2.
    You dont need pcp. Certainly not for a 12yr old to start out with.
    Multishot has only downsides for 10m target, no advantages.
    ATB,
    yana

Many thanks

The alfa proj piatol is also lighter than a TAU 7 as it is built on a alloy frame and is just as accurate.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

But Tau is the better pistol of the 2. I had both. Better trigger, better grip, better balance. The Alfa is way too light upfront and has a grip size of a pencil; too thin.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    But Tau is the better pistol of the 2. I had both. Better trigger, better grip, better balance. The Alfa is way too light upfront and has a grip size of a pencil; too thin.
    I have shot both and I strongly disagree that the tau is really any better and the whole point of this thread is suggesting a light pistol for a child to use, so a smaller grip is better too. If you don't like a grip on a target pistol either build it up or remove material until it fits your hand.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Junior pistols

My daughter got on well with a Walther LP 300 with the shorter and lighter air cylinder and small grip. She was fine with two hands to start with and a good all round pistol for pentathlon.

Mark

I would concur with others. If your daughter is keen on target shooting then your best bet would be to purchase a PCP pistol, and as she will be at an age (i.e. 13) shortly when she needs to shoot single handed in any case then the various choices of grips for these type of pistols will help (e.g. Steyr, Walther, Morini, Hammerli). If you join a club there should be a variety to try before you purchase and she should get some guidance from an Instructor or coach. The NSRA will have contact details for suitable sites in your area. The next part depends purely on budget, however the Hammerli AP20 is a good pistol at a reasonable price (i.e. under £700 new). Also if you join a club then they would have air cylinders for top ups.

If you want more information then send me a PM.

Good luck
    Regards, Phil

Hi,

what about one of these: http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...arget-177/2966

The few write ups available seem generally positive but I'm not sure how good the trigger is.

Should be relatively simple to dremel the grip to size....

I reckon taking the power down a little would be simple if it really is full power and you should then get 60 - 80 shots on a single 12g CO2 capsule.

Frog

Quote Originally Posted by discotwo View Post
    Mark

I would concur with others. If your daughter is keen on target shooting then your best bet would be to purchase a PCP pistol, and as she will be at an age (i.e. 13) shortly when she needs to shoot single handed in any case then the various choices of grips for these type of pistols will help (e.g. Steyr, Walther, Morini, Hammerli). If you join a club there should be a variety to try before you purchase and she should get some guidance from an Instructor or coach. The NSRA will have contact details for suitable sites in your area. The next part depends purely on budget, however the Hammerli AP20 is a good pistol at a reasonable price (i.e. under £700 new). Also if you join a club then they would have air cylinders for top ups.

If you want more information then send me a PM.

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice Phil.
    She got on well with her HW40 this weekend but couldn't seem to hold more than a 50mm group at 10m which frustrated her but she as keen as ever to continue.
    The Air Force One looks interesting as well from the post above but I'm not sure how consistent CO2 is for decent work?
    How do Brocock pistols stack up or are both these styles too heavy do you think?
    Cheers
    Mark

Mark
    In my opinion if she is shooting 10 metre precision and you can afford it then I would recommend a PCP. Sounds like she is doing well and if you look at all the top air pistol shooters they all use PCP as CO2 was found to have problems at different temperatures. If you want a chat then PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.
    Regards, Phil

Than how come they shot the olympic record AP in 1996 with CO2 while there already was pcp??
    Nót because co2 is so terribly temperature sensitive, cause it isnt.
    Not on matchguns. Only on cheap stuff.
    I cant shoot ány of my pcp's even clóse to that OR, and I'm pretty sure no one here can either.
    The only real downsides of co2:
    - you dont know how many shots are left
    - change of balance when co2 drops

I can give our clubs'AP champ the FWB65 and he'll outshoot éveryone with no matter how expensive the pistol.
    CO2 is perfectly capable of shooting 100% scores.
    ATB,
    yana

I agree on the comments about CO2 and temperature - given that 10m is shot indoors generally and generally in temperatures that are comfortable for the shooter it's totally not a problem. I suspect temperatures hot enough or cold enough to affect the pistol would affect the shooter more! I see people fretting about this at my club and deciding to go down the PCP route at more than twice the cost of CO2 so they can shoot 510 ex 600...

Not sure which brocock pistols you are considering but if she wants to compete in 10m the pistol has to fit in 'THE BOX' and I'm not sure all brococks do - worth checking.

Frog

The primary reasons for the move from CO2 to Compressed Air (CA) were a combination of engineering progress and convenience. Small reliable regulators were designed and produced at a cost that made them feasible and economically viable. Compressed air is more readily available than bulk CO2 and does not require a temperature differential between donor and receiver cylinder for reliable liquid transfer. To ascertain CA charge you merely have to read the cylinder gauge, for CO2 you have to weigh it. The other perceived issue was the change in weight as CO2 was expended, much more than an equivalent volume of compressed air. All relatively minor points on their own, but they all add up to CA being a more convenient option.

I suspect temperatures hot enough or cold enough to affect the pistol would affect the shooter more!
    I quite agree. The last generation CO2 pistols performed every bit as well as the CA pistols that replaced them. A new CO2 pistol incorporating the improvements that have been made since then would be every bit as competitive as the current crop of CA pistols.

Rutty